Confirmed with Link: Schmid and Holtz traded to VGK for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd rounder

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Raw numbers are swayed by games played. Thompson was a Rookie that played all of 19 games 3 years ago. Need to see rates.

2023-24: Markstrom 0.29/game, Thompson 0.104/game
2022-23: Markstrom -0.055/game, Thompson 0.003/game
2021-22: Markstrom 0.175/game, Thompson 0.033/game

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Amongst NJ fwd's Holtz was dead last in penalties drawn rate last year.

Also dead last in takeaways/60. Just about a 2-1 giveaway-takeaway ratio.

2nd to last in blocked shots/60. (toffoli was worse)

2023-24: Markstrom 0.29/game, Thompson 0.104/game
2022-23: Markstrom -0.055/game, Thompson 0.003/game
2021-22: Markstrom 0.175/game, Thompson 0.033/game

So Markstrom was better this past season.

Thompson better the year prior.

Markstrom was better in 21-22 but Thompson was a lightly used rookie.

Have to give Markstrom extra credit for being a workhorse though, which contributes to the large overall discrepancy.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
I dont feel like we got fleeced on this deal.

Holtz probably had very minimal value around the league. I assume if he was available, teams would be offering about a 3rd round pick. So theres that. He might become a 30 goal scorer or he might not even make the Vegas line up. It was not gonna work here and his usage the past couple years probably killed any little value he had, but clearly Fitz disliked him so he had no future here. High pick wasted but nothing you can do about that anymore.

Schmid was fourth on our goalie chart and it was beneficial for both parties to go separate ways. They just signed Malek who might be coming over and Brennan and Poulter need ice time. Daws is still there. I think Akira becomes a legit 1B/backup goalie in this league sooner or later, but he didnt have much value either. And we got a player who we can use in our bottom 6.

Holtz for a 3rd
Akira for a bottom 6 player on cheap deal for 2 yrs

It is what it is. They never had crazy value to start with.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Cotter could be a Wood replacement. I know not everyone likes Wood but he was a fine 4th line LW.

Cotter at league minimum for two seasons could give us some flexibility, especially when we will need it in year 2 given Luke will get an extension and I'm assuming you have Dillon as well on a potential overpay. Need some cheap, value contracts that can provide some value.
In some way yes, but not an overly similar player.

Cotter does play a much cleaner game as I note above, not a ton of penalties, and a good takeaway-giveaway ratio. Doesn't get near the sog's that Wood did though.

Reactions: My3Sons

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Look at the other 2024 draft trades.

There’s the price of 1 year of Jeannot after he had a down injury-riddled year.

Tanner Jeannot W 27
1 year/2.665m UFA
for
2024 4th #118
2025 LAK 2nd

This is what Malenstyn cost after his first season with more than 12 GP.

Beck Malenstyn C/LW 26
unsigned RFA
for
2024 2nd Rd #43

Grit is expensive these days. And it’ll be expensive on the UFA market, which is why it’s helpful that Vegas got Cotter to sign a dirt cheap extension.

Paul Cotter W/C 24
2 years/775k RFA

You want to throw money around elsewhere it helps to have a minimum salary NHL player.

So I would argue Cotter’s value is a 2nd round pick, as is Holtz (at best).

Holtz was going to be traded for another struggling young player, or he was going to be a minor piece in a trade, but that’s it. He was never going to get anything that exciting.

I think this is a really good way to look at it. Is Holtz worth a second? Is Potter worth a second? That's probably where they're at.

Schmid for a 3rd is fine.

I think many of us are just upset that Holtz is in this situation. Right or wrong, fair or not. 4 years in we were not expecting our first round pick to be where he is.

I still had hope for Holtz if he got some playing time. But fact is - coaches are paid to analyze players in a way i could never imagine. They see things we don't (including stuff not just in the games).

Plus - i think our roster is better now because of this trade. Based on both players career so far - Potter should be more valuable to us than Holtz at this moment. I hope Holtz proves us wrong.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Yeah there’s no question Holtz had little value around the league. He hadn’t had a truly impressive season since he was 19 years old in the AHL.

And we’ve seen the last few days that goalies don’t get the returns people think.

But i think the biggest reason people are frustrated with the return is the lack of familiarity with Cotter. I’m forecasting a lot of Shaq “I wasn’t familiar with your game” posts by the end of the year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
People point to Muk over Holtz in that Meier deal.

But I wonder if Sharks also preferred Zetterlund over Holtz?

In terms of real time usage, Devils certainly preferred to play Z over Holtz, was Fitz still hoping Holtz would develop? Did he think he could use him in another package later? Or did the Sharks just prefer Zetterlund?

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
This has to be one of the most unhinged devils hf threads in quite a while. We’re all really losing our shit over a 3rd/4th string goalie and Tedenby 2.0??

How are we comparing Holtz to Tedenby? For one thing, name me one single season Tedenbust hit ten goals let alone come close to twenty.

Alex Holtz has almost, actually nothing to do with Mattias Tedenby. This is just coping since Fitz made another questionable move.

Sure, Schmid should have been moved.

Holtz should have been moved if this organization for whatever reason never wanted to play him.

You should get more for those two players than a bottom six player. Once again, this is horrible asset management.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
How are we comparing Holtz to Tedenby? For one thing, name me one single season Tedenbust hit ten goals let alone come close to twenty.

Alex Holtz has almost, actually nothing to do with Mattias Tedenby. This is just coping since Fitz made another questionable move.

Holtz should have been moved if this organization for whatever reason never wanted to play him.

You should get more for those two players than a bottom six player. Once again, this is horrible asset management.

They did get more than that. They got a 3rd round pick in the deal also. This is one problem people are having with evaluating the deal.

Anyway, I'd argue that Tedenby's first 31* games in the NHL were more impressive than anything Holtz did, but it's splitting hairs - Holtz will have a longer career and is a better player, and if he goes overseas he will be a dominant scorer in the SHL or KHL. I suspect he ends up there long before he is 30.

* Tedenby's famous 'go for a walk' 2 goal game against Carolina was his 31st game.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
People point to Muk over Holtz in that Meier deal.

But I wonder if Sharks also preferred Zetterlund over Holtz?

In terms of real time usage, Devils certainly preferred to play Z over Holtz, was Fitz still hoping Holtz would develop? Did he think he could use him in another package later? Or did the Sharks just prefer Zetterlund?

I wouldn't doubt for one second that they preferred Zetterlund over Holtz. Probably a harder gauge though because I doubt both Mookie and Holtz would have been offered even if the Devils kept Zetterlund.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Yup. I like more of a Bergfors comparison. :laugh:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I wouldn't doubt for one second that they preferred Zetterlund over Holtz. Probably a harder gauge though because I doubt both Mookie and Holtz would have been offered even if the Devils kept Zetterlund.
So then the Devils hoped they could turn Holtz around at that point.

At the time the Devils didn't love Holtz's game though.

But certainly possible that this past season, not just from Holtz, but the whole team, led Fitz to say a soft player like Holtz needed to go.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not much of a highlight reel, but maybe has some skill. Also looks like he can play his off wing.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
So then the Devils hoped they could turn Holtz around at that point.

At the time the Devils didn't love Holtz's game though.

But certainly possible that this past season, not just from Holtz, but the whole team, led Fitz to say a soft player like Holtz needed to go.

I think that's the default setting for mot teams, tbh. Particularly for early picks. Teams don't really give up on top 10ish prospects super early unless it's in a package for an established nhl player (think adam boqvist in the seth jones trade). At the very least, teams tend to keep them around through their waiver eligibility and give them the chance to turn their career around.

If they had moved him in a deal different deal before last year, it may have returned more, but probably not enough for people not to rip Fitz apart for giving up on a former 7oa. If they had traded him before last season for like pick 28 in the draft, I think people would have been unhappy for moving off him before really giving him a chance at the NHL level. Now they did give him a chance, he wasn't impressive, the value was in the garbage and people are also going to be unhappy. I'm not sure there was a way for the Devils to ever win with Holtz unless he had been in the Calgary or San Jose packages, tbh.

The Rangers held on to Lias Andersson until he was 22 as well, and I'm not sure they would have moved him if he hadn't asked for a trade. The rangers also held on to Kravtsov and are doing the same with Kakko. Vancouver held on to Olli Juolevi until he was 23. Philly held on to Nolan Patrick until he was 23, etc.

Reactions: devilsblood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad