GDT: SCF | IV | "What Do We Say To The Gord of Death?" | Oilers vs. Panthers | 6.15.24 | 6:00PM | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
...and maybe our power play is negated by elite defensive structure.

The Florida panthers have bought into "structure" and are playing an elite game because of it. Effectively shutting down the Oilers high powered offence.

The game at the highest level is always about structure and commitment. Sergei Bobrovsky is playing behind a wall of structure and commitment.
Sure, Bob is not seeing any top quality shots and haven't had to make huge saves..
Swap the goalies and Oilers would be up 3-0 this series despite the great defensive structure of FLA and Skinner in net.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Stick Pickard in net.

Throw in Carrick... Gagner... Erne... Pederson...Lavoie...Gleason...Kemp.

Get fresh, hungry, enthusiastic players in there to replace some of the weary, injured, burnt out ones.

Give this last game a shot at success by throwing as much fresh meat and energy at the Panthers as possible.

Will it work? Maybe not... but we know what the Oilers have been doing hasn't worked... so don't expect to draw water from the same poisoned well over and over and over again and expecting a different result this time around.
I like your passion…but that group is a recipe for failure.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Sure, Bob is not seeing any top quality shots and haven't had to make huge saves..
Swap the goalies and Oilers would be up 3-0 this series despite the great defensive structure of FLA and Skinner in net.
Maybe, maybe not.

As I see it the players I wanted gone in the offseason are the same players incapable of playing with structure, killing momentum time after time, turning over pucks at inopportune times... in the finals.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Maybe, maybe not.

As I see it the players I wanted gone in the offseason are the same players incapable of playing with structure, killing momentum time after time, turning over pucks at inopportune times... in the finals.
Sure, but they are also top 3 in playoffs scoring ;)

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
This might be the Panthers best chance ever. Bob is 35, he’s not gonna be at this level for much longer. Would be amazing to claw back and win this series, but they might not be in the finals again without peak Bobrovsky.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I'm a bit of a WWII history nerd so TLDR warning. I know this isn't supposed to be historically accurate (it's an over-the-top Inglorious Basterds type of movie), but find it interesting that they based this on the sniper who killed 542 Soviets in defense of the Karelian Isthmus (during the Winter War) which was a much bloodier, destructive and longer war. Karelia was annexed by the Soviets and Finnish population left after the war (some of which were killed in Stalinist purges). Considering the current political climate I think a film based on the actual historical figure could be popular. I imagine part of it is the director trying to distance the Finnish connection to Nazi Germany (understandably) as they were allies up until 1944 when the Finns (apparently rather reluctantly) were compelled to switch sides. Around 4000 casualties each side vs 70K Finnish and 321-381K Soviet casualties in the Winter War

TLDR: Anyhow, sisu is definitely something we'd like to see from the Oilers tonight and extend the series
Fun fact: I used to work with a Finnish woman who knew this man when she was little. He was a friend to her grandparents so he'd often visit when she was there.

Knowing the story of this guy I was pretty awestruck when she told me this detail about herself haha.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
The Stanley cup will be in the building in every game that remains this season. What they've strived for as children is literally and physically right there.

If that's not an incentive for the Oilers to leave it all out there and win, then I don't know what to say.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
The Stanley cup will be in the building in every game that remains this season. What they've strived for as children is literally and physically right there.

If that's not an incentive for the Oilers to leave it all out there and win, then I don't know what to say.
I don't know if the shiny trophy being present is gonna achieve that when playing for the thing hasn't unlocked that desire for 3 straight games.

Reactions: qstarr

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm a bit of a WWII history nerd so TLDR warning. I know this isn't supposed to be historically accurate (it's an over-the-top Inglorious Basterds type of movie), but find it interesting that they based this on the sniper who killed 542 Soviets in defense of the Karelian Isthmus (during the Winter War) which was a much bloodier, destructive and longer war. Karelia was annexed by the Soviets and Finnish population left after the war (some of which were killed in Stalinist purges). Considering the current political climate I think a film based on the actual historical figure could be popular. I imagine part of it is the director trying to distance the Finnish connection to Nazi Germany (understandably) as they were allies up until 1944 when the Finns (apparently rather reluctantly) were compelled to switch sides. Around 4000 casualties each side vs 70K Finnish and 321-381K Soviet casualties in the Winter War

TLDR: Anyhow, sisu is definitely something we'd like to see from the Oilers tonight and extend the series
Ahhhh Sisu! I thought you said ZISSOU!!! And "We f***ing stole it man" talking about stealing a game tonight on the way to rolling the series. hahaha ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawks

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Hi fellas
Took some time off from here obviously.
Thank you for all who reached out and your support.

Can't post tonight but will be screaming and hopefully not crying later!

Reactions: blueracer17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad