GDT: SCF | IV | "What Do We Say To The Gord of Death?" | Oilers vs. Panthers | 6.15.24 | 6:00PM | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm a bit of a WWII history nerd so TLDR warning. I know this isn't supposed to be historically accurate (it's an over-the-top Inglorious Basterds type of movie), but find it interesting that they based this on the sniper who killed 542 Soviets in defense of the Karelian Isthmus (during the Winter War) which was a much bloodier, destructive and longer war. Karelia was annexed by the Soviets and Finnish population left after the war (some of which were killed in Stalinist purges). Considering the current political climate I think a film based on the actual historical figure could be popular. I imagine part of it is the director trying to distance the Finnish connection to Nazi Germany (understandably) as they were allies up until 1944 when the Finns (apparently rather reluctantly) were compelled to switch sides. Around 4000 casualties each side vs 70K Finnish and 321-381K Soviet casualties in the Winter War

TLDR: Anyhow, sisu is definitely something we'd like to see from the Oilers tonight and extend the series
I thought I knew my WWII history but I am humbled by this post.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Call me crazy but I would run Brown on that second line.
I was saying this before the playoffs why not try him again in the role you signed him for? He’s looked good since breaking the slump. I hope they re up him for cheap and give him another look in camp. With a good offseason of training wouldn’t be surprised if he bounced back to being a second line winger next year.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Skinner is so brainwashed with his pseudo-science sports psychology . he thinks he'll win the Conn Smythe regardless.
Ken Dryden was the pioneer of this sports psychology stuff but of course he played with a dynasty so it was easy to minimalize raw physical ability and talent. Dryden is intelligent but I can't stand listening to him for more than a few minutes. Give me guys like Brett Hull or Guy Lafleur to tell it in real terms.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I'm a bit of a WWII history nerd so TLDR warning. I know this isn't supposed to be historically accurate (it's an over-the-top Inglorious Basterds type of movie), but find it interesting that they based this on the sniper who killed 542 Soviets in defense of the Karelian Isthmus (during the Winter War) which was a much bloodier, destructive and longer war. Karelia was annexed by the Soviets and Finnish population left after the war (some of which were killed in Stalinist purges). Considering the current political climate I think a film based on the actual historical figure could be popular. I imagine part of it is the director trying to distance the Finnish connection to Nazi Germany (understandably) as they were allies up until 1944 when the Finns (apparently rather reluctantly) were compelled to switch sides. Around 4000 casualties each side vs 70K Finnish and 321-381K Soviet casualties in the Winter War

TLDR: Anyhow, sisu is definitely something we'd like to see from the Oilers tonight and extend the series
:0 that movie is based on Simo Hayha? That guy is a legend, I’m gonna have to watch this

Reactions: Oilhawks

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Ken Dryden was the pioneer of this sports psychology stuff but of course he played with a dynasty so it was easy to minimalize raw physical ability and talent. Dryden is intelligent but I can't stand listening to him for more than a few minutes. Give me guys like Brett Hull or Guy Lafleur to tell it in real terms.
Dryden is my childhood hero. Met him about eight years ago and he seemed to be very genuine and a true gentleman. Had no idea that he was a pioneer in that. Skinner seems to be taking it overboard. No accountability... If I were a teammate of his, I'd be furious.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So can the Oilers stop making absolutely egregious errors in their own zone and not end up chasing the game?
Can Darnell Nurse, Evan Bouchard and Cody Ceci (primary culprits) stop contributing to this teams defensive ineptitude?
Can Skinner make more big saves?
Will the Oilers actually start winning more puck battles?
Can the forwards consistently apply back pressure and actually stay with their checks?
Can Draisaitl turn the tables on his matchups and not get owned by whatever centre the Cats put up against him?
Can McDavid score a goal in the SCF?
Can the PP score?

The Cats are doing what no other team in the Playoffs have done so far. They are shutting down the Oilers strengths and exposing and highlighting (over and over again) all the deficiencies with this team.
I sincerely hope it stops tonight but I sure wouldnt put money on it.

Just win tonight.
Have enough will and determination to rise above the challenge that Florida presents and protect the house. Let Florida celebrate with the Cup on their ice with their fans.
Thats my ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: MessierII

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Dryden is my childhood hero. Met him about eight years ago and he seemed to be very genuine and a true gentleman. Had no idea that he was a pioneer in that. Skinner seems to be taking it overboard. No accountability... If I were a teammate of his, I'd be furious.
Dryden is a gentleman but when you read his book you realize that he tries to "intellectualize" a game that is pretty simple.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Are we the most hated team in the league that isnt Vegas? It's pretty jarring reading comments from the other fans in the league
Yeah I don’t know what we did to deserve the hate honestly. Maybe oilers fans on twitter are really bad?

I asked Nucks fans about this, mostly just seems to be the older fans that watched the 80s Oilers humiliate the Nucks.

And then there’s people who hate us for drafting 1st overall 4 times. But to me I don’t see that as a reason to hate Oilers fans, we were watching games and selling out the barn despite being a terrible team for years. We also got extremely unlucky with those 1st picks until we got blessed with McDavid.

I just wanna win the Cup and flip the bird to all the haters at this point

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
When I start looking at the roster it becomes apparently that we're missing the one shot scorer type of guy who can blast it from everywhere. Florida has Verhaeghe, Reinhart type guys who are sniping. Dallas had Robertson, Seguin type guys who will score with the puck in the slot.

It kind of sucks that we haven't been able to find that guy to play with McDavid who can get to open ice and has the smarts and timing to be in the right spots to snipe one. Of course there's Draisaitl but that's about it. We tried Neal there for a while with some success but he was on the downswing.

Trying to imagine a pure goal scorer in RNH's place there. Dany Heatley type. RNH is just useless on that line. At least Hyman hangs on to pucks a bit.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
When I start looking at the roster it becomes apparently that we're missing the one shot scorer type of guy who can blast it from everywhere. Florida has Verhaeghe, Reinhart type guys who are sniping. Dallas had Robertson, Seguin type guys who will score with the puck in the slot.

It kind of sucks that we haven't been able to find that guy to play with McDavid who can get to open ice and has the smarts and timing to be in the right spots to snipe one. Of course there's Draisaitl but that's about it. We tried Neal there for a while with some success but he was on the downswing.

Trying to imagine a pure goal scorer in RNH's place there. Dany Heatley type. RNH is just useless on that line. At least Hyman hangs on to pucks a bit.
Laine. That's the pure scorer we need. Everyone is high on guentzel. I'd rather have Laine top 6 here.

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad