SCF Game 2 - 6/01/16 8 PM EDT - Sharks at Penguins | NBCSN, CBC, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Probably one of the lowest MLs between two teams. Pens only -120 favorites and Sharks going off at even. Vegas typically favors home teams pretty well. Pens were near -200+ against Tampa in a lot of games.

So the money is basically saying 'it's anyone's game tonight."

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Where have I implied anything that is an attempt to deny reality or "gloss it over"? I'm simply pointing out that it was one god damn game, lol. The Sharks killed the Preds in the first two games and then got their ***** handed to them for 75% of the next two games, both losses.

The idea that this series is over already is silly. If the Sharks don't adjust and play the same game they did, I agree, the Pens are likely winning this in 5 or 6. But some people are already counting the Sharks down and out, which is simply wrong.

And every time you do that, you're glossing over it and attempting to deny reality. SJ was vastly out shot and vastly out chanced, and they were lucky it was only a 1 goal game.

No where have I said that that one game will or has decided the series - only that SJ needs to figure out a way to adapt and adjust, or other games will probably look fairly similar. And that will cost them the series.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The focus is on the Pens speed. It's in the opponents heads, GMs across the league already looking to copying the Pens blue print. Pens in 5.
To be fair Rutherford has said seeing Chicago's success gave him the confidence to build the pens the way he did. Pens aren't really trailblazers here.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
And every time you do that, you're glossing over it and attempting to deny reality. SJ was vastly out shot and vastly out chanced, and they were lucky it was only a 1 goal game.

No where have I said that that one game will or has decided the series - only that SJ needs to figure out a way to adapt and adjust, or other games will probably look fairly similar. And that will cost them the series.

But I'm not quoting or even referencing you. I referenced two posters who already pointed out that this series is essentially over.

And please explain to me how that's glossing it over. I've fully admitted that the Sharks will lose the series if the games are similar to Monday nights game. Now please, please point me to where I am "glossing over and attempting to deny reality". The same could be said for others, that the reality is this is a best of 7 series and one game will highly unlikely dictate the entire series. That's just not reality. Is that glossing over too?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
But I'm not quoting or even referencing you. I referenced two posters who already pointed out that this series is essentially over.

Really?

In which PIT owned them in scoring chances and shots.
Sucks that the Stanley Cup is decided by 1 game, right? :cry:

Oh wait..

Oh wait...

And please explain to me how that's glossing it over. I've fully admitted that the Sharks will lose the series if the games are similar to Monday nights game. Now please, please point me to where I am "glossing over and attempting to deny reality".

Every time it's brought up and you dismiss it, you're glossing over it, as if it doesn't matter. Every time you've said "it was a 1 goal game" you're dismissing it and glossing over it, as if it was actually a really close tight game, instead of one where SJ was vastly outshot and vastly out chanced.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

And please explain to me how that's glossing it over. I've fully admitted that the Sharks will lose the series if the games are similar to Monday nights game. Now please, please point me to where I am "glossing over and attempting to deny reality". The same could be said for others, that the reality is this is a best of 7 series and one game will highly unlikely dictate the entire series. That's just not reality. Is that glossing over too?

I did not look back to see who you are referencing but every fan base has their special people. Or some just rub you the wrong way. Just ignore them, the vast majority are respectful here even when they disagree. This playoffs especially I have gained respect for so many from the various fan bases that we played. I focus on them.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Really?

Oh wait...

Every time it's brought up and you dismiss it, you're glossing over it, as if it doesn't matter. Every time you've said "it was a 1 goal game" you're dismissing it and glossing over it, as if it was actually a really close tight game, instead of one where SJ was vastly outshot and vastly out chanced.

But the fact remains it was a one goal game that SJ could have won with one shot. That's all I'm suggesting when I mention it being such a close score. Like I just said, they got outplayed. You keep ignoring me admitting that and telling me that I'm attempting to deny reality? They got outplayed. That's reality. The reality is also that this is a best-of-7 series and the first game is exactly that - the first game. Lot's of hockey to be played, and I'm still confident in my team to come back with a better effort.

Is there something wrong with disagreeing with the opinion that the series is already over?

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
I did not look back to see who you are referencing but every fan base has their special people. Or some just rub you the wrong way. Just ignore them, the vast majority are respectful here even when they disagree. This playoffs especially I have gained respect for so many from the various fan bases that we played. I focus on them.

Yup, I know. Just putting my two cents in that I don't think this series is anywhere close to being over.

Pens looked great the other night, hope my Sharks have an answer tonight. Cheers and enjoy the game.

:cheers:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
The focus is on the Pens speed. It's in the opponents heads, GMs across the league already looking to copying the Pens blue print. Pens in 5.

lol yeah tank and get multiple generational or near generational players that can take spare parts and turn them into mismatch lines :shakehead

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
lol yeah tank and get multiple generational or near generational players that can take spare parts and turn them into mismatch lines :shakehead

You would think so, right?

Unfortunately our management thought stacking the bottom six with useless wastes of spaces like Tanner Glass and Adams for most of Crosby and Malkin's prime years was they way to go. Or signing the corpse of Scuderi to reassemble the old boys club. Or hire moron coaches who made grinders out of skilled players, or simply benched them. Or never get Malkin or Crosby anything but mediocre wings. See our avatars for the playoffs as an example.

Most of us wishes Pens' management was as clever as you accuse. Sadly it hasn't been the case.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011

if that was the secret to success crosby and malkin would have 5 cups each by now

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

We've built the speed over the last season, it has little to do with our generational players.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
You would think so, right?

Unfortunately our management thought stacking the bottom six with useless wastes of spaces like Tanner Glass and Adams for most of Crosby and Malkin's prime years was they way to go. Or signing the corpse of Scuderi to reassemble the old boys club. Or hire moron coaches who made grinders out of skilled players, or simply benched them.

Most of us wishes Pens' management was as clever as you accuse. Sadly it hasn't been the case.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about the Pens, but it was always frustrating watching them go for the big names. The entire time anybody with some basic hockey knowledge could point out that depth was always their issue. They really blew a lot of prime Crosby/Letang/Malkin years. Nice to see them change their focus this time around though.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Honestly, I couldn't care less about the Pens, but it was always frustrating watching them go for the big names. The entire time anybody with some basic hockey knowledge could point out that depth was always their issue. They really blew a lot of prime Crosby/Letang/Malkin years. Nice to see them change their focus this time around though.

Never in the course of hockey events was so little done by management with so many gifts.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Never in the course of hockey events was so little done by management with so many gifts.

Even this year, I was still a little shocked/confused why the went after Kessel. It's obviously paying off now, but I was still pretty confused cause I thought he was gonna be their 1LW. Too be entirely honest, did they get sort of lucky with the emergence of Rust/Sheary/others?

Cullen was a great signing though. Always been a fan of his game, so much utility.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Yeah, I never get when people deny reality, or try to gloss it over. The goal is to understand what went wrong and change that reality going forward to the extent you can. Denying or trying to lawyer what happened does no good.

The truth is if the Sharks do not change what went on in game one they lose this series, and not in seven games. They certainly have a skilled team and smart coach, so I expect them to make most of the right moves and adjustments.

The thing to watch for is whether those adjustments will make a difference. The depth and skill of the Pens are why they advanced this far, and no one really had an answer for either. There were some great teams who just never could find the secret sauce, so it will be interesting to see if the Sharks do so. The ball certainly is in their court after game one to show that they can.

Completely agree with this.

Fortunately for the Sharks I see 3 differences already:

1) No more game 1 first period jitters. They have been through a game, so I expect a much better first period from the Sharks.

2) Justin Braun won't have just had a family member pass away the night before the game. (His father in law, who he was close to, passed away the night before game one)

3) We are unlikely to lose Burns for nearly half a period due to equipment issues again this game. Him missing that much of the first in game one was a major factor in how badly the team performed that period.

I still think the Sharks can win. I think the Sharks are better than Tampa, and they took you to 7. The Pens speed in game 1 did cause issues. I think DeBoer is a great coach, though, so I expect he will make adjustments. The Sharks have an insanely good record these playoffs in the game after a loss, (5-1) and outscored their opponents by something like 20-4 in those games. (on phone so can't look up exact stats right now) So, he has been very good at that so far. I guess we will find out. :)

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Even this year, I was still a little shocked/confused why the went after Kessel. It's obviously paying off now, but I was still pretty confused cause I thought he was gonna be their 1LW. Too be entirely honest, did they get sort of lucky with the emergence of Rust/Sheary/others?

Cullen was a great signing though. Always been a fan of his game, so much utility.

There were very few Pen fans who did not want Kessel. Not because of how he's being used now, but because he would pull coverage from his center, and actually create offense on their one - something no one has really been able to do since Hossa was here in 2008.

Yes we absolutely got lucky with Rust, Sheary, Wilson and Kuhnhackl. The first 3 were penciled in as 4th liners or 13/14F by some of the people on our board last summer and this fall. Many didn't care either way. I wanted nothing to do with Kuhnhackl after his first game (it was really really bad). However all 4 of those guys really surprised us when they were given a chance to actually play, so well done Rutherford on actually allowing them that chance (vs trading for Winnik like last year).

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
There were very few Pen fans who did not want Kessel. Not because of how he's being used now, but because he would pull coverage from his center, and actually create offense on their one - something no one has really been able to do since Hossa was here in 2008.

Yes we absolutely got lucky with Rust, Sheary, Wilson and Kuhnhackl. The first 3 were penciled in as 4th liners or 13/14F by some of the people on our board last summer and this fall. Many didn't care either way. I wanted nothing to do with Kuhnhackl after his first game (it was really really bad). However all 4 of those guys really surprised us when they were given a chance to actually play, so well done Rutherford on actually allowing them that chance (vs trading for Winnik like last year).

Yup. Sometimes the missing pieces of the puzzle just fall into your lap. My brother is a huge Pens fan, knows a lot about hockey, and he told me Rust/Sheary/Kuhnackl were afterthoughts going into this year.

I watch a lot of AHL hockey on top of the NHL, Sheary caught my eye when they played the Marlies. Had a feeling he was going to be an NHL player, just didn't know his speed/skill would be so impactful as soon as this year.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yup. Sometimes the missing pieces of the puzzle just fall into your lap. My brother is a huge Pens fan, knows a lot about hockey, and he told me Rust/Sheary/Kuhnackl were afterthoughts going into this year.

I watch a lot of AHL hockey on top of the NHL, Sheary caught my eye when they played the Marlies. Had a feeling he was going to be an NHL player, just didn't know his speed/skill would be so impactful as soon as this year.

Most were "fine" with Rust (or Wilson) being a 4th line winger going into the season. No one had any expectations for them, and figure that they could probably do the job and at least they were cheap. Few thought that Sheary would be legitimate top 6/9 winger (still some question marks there), or even a decent option in spurts. Most figured it was top 6 or bust, with him more likely to bust then succeed.

No doubt that one of the key reasons for PITs success is the emergence of these young guys who've taken a huge step forward in half a season.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

That was the thing though. Some knew we had guys for the bottom six, it was a matter of playing them over vets who were stuck here from the past regime and coaches always relying on vets.

The thing is, the Pens have more.

I don't think it's lucky more so then putting your cap where it belongs and who they brought in.

Lucky was certainly on the side of trading Scuderi for Daley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad