SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
im sorry that you can't see the SCF ( the pinnacle of hockey playoffs) is more important than the other series and has more of an impact and it rarer that teams come back 3-0 than a regular playoff series.

it is a distinction worthy of a special achievement being counted above and beyond a than say a WCF or WQF.
You said I'm splitting hairs but I think you're guilty of the same thing. Doing it in a WQF could actually potentially be a more impressive achievement given the potential discrepancy in seeding for example.

A series is a series. That Kings series might be more impressive than the Leafs-Wings one in 1942; I was not around for that one. Were you?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You said I'm splitting hairs but I think you're guilty of the same thing. Doing it in a WQF could actually potentially be a more impressive achievement given the potential discrepancy in seeding for example.

A series is a series. That Kings series might be more impressive than the Leafs-Wings one in 1942; I was not around for that one. Were you?
ok buddy.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Barbie might turn out to be the worst goalie the oilers faced this playoffs.

Talbot
Silovs
Oettinger

Oilers had trouble beating Silovs with garbage goals. Even Nurse got one on Barbie-rovsky.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Losing big buff hurt the hawks. They lost their nuclear weapon. Campoli had no business in the NHL. He was poor man Ceci out there.

Imagine if the oilers have a prime Kassian in the lineup on the 4th line now. Tkachuk would run home to momma.
Or maybe he stands there like a sedin taking shots to the mouth hoping for a powerplay. Who was it that Bennet just did that to again? Why bring Kassian into the eqaution here. Should be a role for Nurse No?.......considering he has been ass at everything else.

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
He didn't do much stopping when McDavid has 10 points in 3 games.

Go check how many times Barkov has been on the ice when McDavid scores, and then check the situations lol, better yet watch the goals themselves and see what Barkov was doing

Last edited by a moderator:

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Or maybe he stands there like a sedin taking shots to the mouth hoping for a powerplay. Who was it that Bennet just did that to again? Why bring Kassian into the eqaution here. Should be a role for Nurse No?.......considering he has been ass at everything else.
Kane will be in the equation next game.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Barbie might turn out to be the worst goalie the oilers faced this playoffs.

Talbot
Silovs
Oettinger

Oilers had trouble beating Silovs with garbage goals. Even Nurse got one on Barbie-rovsky.
Inb4 Bob stands on his head in Game 6 or 7 like he did in Game 1

Kane will be in the equation next game.
Kane has been horrible.

I believe he has played his last game in Edmonton, at least I hope

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Go check how many times Barkov has been on the ice when McDavid scores, and then check the situations lol, better yet watch the goals themselves and see what Barkov was doing
Barkov was busy trying to shut down Connor last night. He realized it was another Connor and said Barbie you shut the door, oops, short handed goal.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I should hope so. He is McDavid after all.
But ya could also go check the three straight games where McD got squat. In the Stanley Cup finals ? Down 3-0. Barks gets some love for that ....no?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yes you are getting it wrong.

Here is my argument:

1. People keep saying a 3-0 comeback has only happened once, often omitting the fact that this actually only applies specifically to the SCF
2. People who only read or hear this without looking it up themselves (98% of the internet) take this to mean it has only ever happened once in all playoff series ever
3. They continue to spread this misunderstanding, further cementing it
4. I point out it has happened outside that one SCF from 80 years ago and use LA-San José as an example

It's also irrelevant and kind of a gamblers fallacy at this point to point out the odds of coming back from 3-0 regardless - the Oilers don't have to come back from down 3-0 at this point - they have to come back from down 3-2.

It's still an interesting talking point, but it shouldn't be something people use as a projection of how likely the rest of the series results are going forward.

In the playoffs as a whole odds of winning series once up 3-2 are 79.1% historically. Which - whether you're talking about the SCF or the playoffs as a whole are significantly better odds for the Oilers. You'll see that reflected by the odds makers and the betting websites tasked with a vested interest in being statistically objective here as well.

Reactions: Fishy McScales

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's also irrelevant and kind of a gamblers fallacy at this point to point out the odds of coming back from 3-0 regardless - the Oilers don't have to come back from down 3-0 at this point - they have to come back from down 3-2.

It's still an interesting talking point, but it shouldn't be something people use as a projection of how likely the rest of the series results are going forward.

In the playoffs as a whole odds of winning series once up 3-2 are 79.1% historically. Which - whether you're talking about the SCF or the playoffs as a whole are significantly better odds for the Oilers. You'll see that reflected by the odds makers and the betting websites tasked with a vested interest in being statistically objective here as well.
For sure. Oilers need two wins. Panthers need one. Oiler have McDavid. Panthers dont.

Game 7s in final if memory serves - seem to get decided by one goalie standing on his head while the other is average.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation

Agreed, in fact the salient point I was trying to make was that saying "this has only ever happened once" implies different (worse) odds than the actual odds.

The number of SCF series is of course smaller than the total overall number of series, but people word it as though the number of wins comes from the SCF whereas the number of attempts comes from the total pool, and usually without even being aware that the error is being committed because people regurgitate what someone else said before fact checking it.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
For sure. Oilers need two wins. Panthers need one. Oiler have McDavid. Panthers dont.

Game 7s in final if memory serves - seem to get decided by one goalie standing on his head while the other is average.

Florida has one more free swing. I'd rather that but if they miss and it goes to game 7 I'll take McDavid in a winner takes all

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Best two teams? I am not sure of that. Sort of like March Madness, they won the Playoff Tourney and will be crowned Champs, no doubt. But, alot of luck goes into it as well. The path to the Finals and some opportune wins by other teams can make a huge difference.

FLA is a good team, but Tampa was a Godsend match for them. As for TAM, FLA was THE worst opening round. Great matchup for FLA, horrible for Tampa (not saying TAM is among the best, way too many flaws). Would FLA done as well against a TOR?

EDM definitely has flaws. Did a great job winning, but it has been an adventure.

DAL has a hell of a team.
COL is tough top to bottom
NYR had a nice lineup, if they reduced the number of modeling gigs they may have had a shot.
VAN, a bit streaky for me, but a lot of talent.
CAR, I thought they had the best roster.

All these teams had over 105 points. EDM had the least at 104! So, I am not sure you can say the 2 best teams.
Edmonton's record with the new coaching staff is the best in the NHL I believe or 2nd best so the 104 points is deceiving.

Ok, even if two best teams is subjective, it's two of the best teams in the league. There can be an argument for these being the two best teams but also some others being just as good. It's arguing semantics really, it's two very good teams going at it.

Reactions: voxel and RMF5630

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Great to have what amounts to a thrilling series after Florida went up 3-0 and it looked like it was going to be a dud, as a hockey fan you can't help but love that.

Momentum has surely swung in the oils favour but Florida is still in the better position, it's tough to win 4 games in a row against a quality team like them momentum or not.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Edmonton's record with the new coaching staff is the best in the NHL I believe or 2nd best so the 104 points is deceiving.

Ok, even if two best teams is subjective, it's two of the best teams in the league. There can be an argument for these being the two best teams but also some others being just as good. It's arguing semantics really, it's two very good teams going at it.
He’s got a point, the team who wins the championship at the end of a season is the stupidest way to decide which is the leagues best team.

The only way to truly know is for every team to face every team in a best of 7 series. Team who win the most of their 31 best of 7 series is crowned the best. If there are multiple teams who have the same best record then a second “championship round” of 7 game series is triggered. Once we are down to a single “best team” then they have to go back and face the teams out of the other 31 that they lost 7 game series and they have to redeem themselves by defeating all those teams in a 7 game series. If they can’t beat everyone one of those teams in these redemption series then they can’t definitely be called the best team in the league and the process starts over again.

It’s a little inconvenient but the only way we can know for sure who is the best team.

• Haha
Reactions: PULSATING
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad