TV: Saturday Night Live 40 years live? and beyond -MOD 724

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I can't watch SNL anymore. It's just not funny to me at all. I oppose Trump, but the constant forced Trump sketches are just not funny. The current cast just really doesn't do it for me like casts in the past have.

Reactions: Dialamo

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I can't watch SNL anymore. It's just not funny to me at all. I oppose Trump, but the constant forced Trump sketches are just not funny. The current cast just really doesn't do it for me like casts in the past have.

They do themselves no favors by relying on stunt casting either.

Reactions: Dialamo

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Saw on twitter that Luke Null won’t be back. That’s the only news on the cast I’ve seen so far.

He wasn't the worst featured player they've added over the years, but he also just didn't make that much of an impact. Mikey Day and Alex Moffat made huge impacts as featured players (and I suspect will be "promoted" soon), and even Pete Davidson carved out a good role as a featured player (usually on WU).

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

The cast isn’t great right now. The show has been ok the last couple of seasons, but ratings are up because of Baldwin playing Trump.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
No favours? The ratings have gone way up because of Baldwin. I mean, I could live with less Trump too, but let’s not act like this hasn’t helped the show.

I wasn't talking about ratings. But yes, the ratings had gone up, although they dropped down this year, didn't they? But they aren't developing the regulars and they are a slave to peoples schedules. You can only have Ivanka in the sketch when Scar Jo is in town, for example. I think it's short sited.

And yes, it's too much Trump.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I wasn't talking about ratings. But yes, the ratings had gone up, although they dropped down this year, didn't they? But they aren't developing the regulars and they are a slave to peoples schedules. You can only have Ivanka in the sketch when Scar Jo is in town, for example. I think it's short sited.

And yes, it's too much Trump.

Well, you said it’s done them no favours. An emmy win last year and higher ratings would suggest it has.

As far as Scarlett, she’s dating Jost and I believe she lives in New York. Probably not too hard to get her. It’s not like they need her all the time anyway. It’s a bigger issue with Baldwin. He has to be there just about every week.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Okay. That Career Day skit is one of the best skits I can remember in a long time. Adam Driver killed it.
He "crushed it...crushed it's soul" ! The actress who played the girl who was super into that oil baron has a funny facial expression she always goes to. It worked well.

Was a pretty good episode. Laughed at lots of the skits. I guess they had a summer's worth of material to work with . Pete Davidson is good buzz and fodder for them. Adam Driver was good, but was absent a lot, at least it seemed to me.

Kanye and Lil Pump doing a "less vulgar..ish" version of "I love it" was interesting. Kanye wore his new design MAGA hat, which I always found was a really ugly, cheap hat, that it way too high. It looks like a poorly made, outsourced product.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
That was not bad. Liked the Career Day and Vermont sketches. Also liked that there were a couple of parts where some in the audience sounded squirmish lol.

Really looking forward to the next couple of weeks w/ Awkwafina and Meyers.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Weekend update isn't even funny anymore. It's just a mean spirited Trump update now.

Don't get to laugh like in the Tina Fey years. Oh well. I guess it helps with the ratings.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Weekend update isn't even funny anymore. It's just a mean spirited Trump update now.

Don't get to laugh like in the Tina Fey years. Oh well. I guess it helps with the ratings.

I still enjoy update for the most part, although they need to stop the Don Jr and Eric spots. We get it, he's dumb. I generally agree with the too much Trump for the show as a whole, but they have to talk about some of the stuff.

Reactions: Pilky01

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I have to wonder if somebody who thinks they talk about Trump too much ever actually watched the show before 2016.

Granted, SNL was literally asking Obama how he would like his dick sucked every week, but apart from Obama they always went hard after the government. SNL peaked when they were ripping the shit out of the Bill and Hilary every weekend during the 90's.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I still enjoy update for the most part, although they need to stop the Don Jr and Eric spots. We get it, he's dumb. I generally agree with the too much Trump for the show as a whole, but they have to talk about some of the stuff.

I suppose.

What annoys me the most is that in past years they could still get topics through with humor. I tune in to the show to laugh, not get my news.

At the end of each bit is not really comedic laughter.

It is aimed at an audience whose reaction is "Ya, screw that idiot/asshole Trump. Ha, Ha!"

Don't even get me started on how they sat on their high horse for years lamenting how women were attacked for how they looked and how that was reprehensible, yet they now spend an inordinate amount of time attacking what Trump looks like. ;)

But, as has been pointed out the ratings have risen and the Hollywood elite will pour on a few awards to go along with it. Got to know where your bread is buttered.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I have to wonder if somebody who thinks they talk about Trump too much ever actually watched the show before 2016.

Granted, SNL was literally asking Obama how he would like his dick sucked every week, but apart from Obama they always went hard after the government. SNL peaked when they were ripping the **** out of the Bill and Hilary every weekend during the 90's.

You could have at least quoted me if you intend to do a drive by.

I've watched since the eighties. I have tuned in and tuned out over the years as the product has risen or fallen.

It's kind of funny that one one hand you complain about the divisiveness of politics yet you hail the times when SNL goes in to full attack mode as being their pinnacle.

I tended to tune out during the Clinton attack episodes. It appears that viewership did not follow my pattern.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
You could have at least quoted me if you intend to do a drive by.

I've watched since the eighties. I have tuned in and tuned out over the years as the product has risen or fallen.

It's kind of funny that one one hand you complain about the divisiveness of politics yet you hail the times when SNL goes in to full attack mode as being their pinnacle.

I tended to tune out during the Clinton attack episodes. It appears that viewership did not follow my pattern.

o_O

giphy.gif

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Thanks for quoting me this time.

I think when SNL attacks a president/candidate relentlessly (...Bush, Clinton, Trump) in a mean spirited manner they are perpetuating that divisive/warring behavior.

Interestingly, it appears that both the left and right enjoy it as ratings rise when either a Democrat or Republican is being targeted. I gather from your reply that you might be ;) part of that increase in numbers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad