Confirmed with Link: Sather to retire

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

for me, he'll always first of all be #6,
depth vet wing who took a penalty for holding an opponent's jersey through a hole in his glove

... but also
- it was a terrible give up futures for the present trade, Syl Apps Jr had 600 points in 700 NHL games after the trade
- some of those coaching hires, ugh - Low, Trottier,

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I thought he was already retired.

He was a scrappy player. Part of the deal with Ted Irvine and Jerry Butler that brought John Davidson from St. Louis to the Rangers.

As a GM---7 years without playoffs is not something that would leave anyone with a warm and fuzzy feeling. Eventually the Rangers turned it around but he definitely wasn't the greatest. Dolan liked him though.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...Part of the deal with Ted Irvine and Jerry Butler that brought John Davidson from St. Louis to the Rangers...
not so, but that was forever ago
only a few of us were then and now
he was indeed traded by NYR to St Louis

Glen Sather
1971-Jan-26 Traded from Pittsburgh Penguins to New York Rangers for Syl Apps and player to be named later (Sheldon Kannegiesser)

October 28, 1973: Traded by the New York Rangers with Rene Villemure to the St. Louis Blues for Jack Egers.

John Davidson
June 18, 1975: Traded by the St. Louis Blues with Bill Collins to the New York Rangers for Jerry Butler, Ted Irvine and Bert Wilson

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I thought he was already retired.

He was a scrappy player. Part of the deal with Ted Irvine and Jerry Butler that brought John Davidson from St. Louis to the Rangers.

As a GM---7 years without playoffs is not something that would leave anyone with a warm and fuzzy feeling. Eventually the Rangers turned it around but he definitely wasn't the greatest. Dolan liked him though.
The first 3 of those years (98-2000) were Neil Smith.

The thing I'll always remember about Slats is him saying that if he had the Rangers' payroll, he'd never lose. Funny how life makes fools of us all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad