Sarnia Sting 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Surzycia looks so calm and steady right now. Swallowing up a ton of pucks and making big saves like the one on Aspinall in tight. Flint controlled the play for probably the first three quarters of the period but the team came out with a little more pushback in the final five minutes. Need more of that in the final two frames

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Call me crazy but I genuinely believe Martone will end up going 1OA this year when all is said and done.
The Hagen's kid is supposed to be unbelievable. Can't say I've seen him to say. But sure won't surprise me if Martone pushes for top 3. He's a special talent. Got it all.

Rookie mistake on that goal. Edwards who's been good tonight tries to make a play at our blue line instead of getting it out & eventually it ends up in the net. Type of play we gotta deal with early on.

Reactions: frontsfan67

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I also so strongly hate running 11F 7D. No flow between pairs. Bridgewater who has an assist has barely played. Barr barely playing who's your best puck mover. I think Sim has about 3 shifts tonight if that tells u anything about how Letang feels about him lol.

Still only down 1. Surzycia is having another really strong start to the season like last year. Need more from Wainwright & Doucette up front. Hopefully they can step up in the 3rd.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Another year where the PP is an absolute anchor for this team. Costs u the game yesterday. Got a chance to take the momentum & lead back & give up a SHG.

It is utter idiocy Barr isn't running a unit. Utter fricken idiocy.

Its ridiculas the line chemistry is aweful Carrys into PP.
Brown won't pass puck play the game with others hard to watch.
Bodin caught every shift making bad decisions.

Wainwright flying out there tonight, good to see, like to see more speed and skill on his line. Wainwright Killing faceoffs again against clattenburg too, di iorio not too shabby over 60 %
Doucette skating well too just makes no sense to me they are not staples on same line think Letang making huge mistake.
Pp gives up SH goal again.
coaching wise putting players on PP is useless. Think Jeffery does PP.
Little too much input from him if this is what we get.
Surzycia playing solid again
Again seems like a theme why does Letang have Bodin top line? Think he is falling more and more to me down depth chart more I see less I like beside his size and physicality.
Hope we finish strong in 3rd and steal this one.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Yeah the PP is a massive issue. Shocker that the best shift was when Kostuch was on the ice. I agree that Barr needs to running PP1. Fischer cost them the second goal. You can't let a guy get behind you on the PP. Vets need to step up in the third. Not acceptable to have Filak/Wainwright/Doucette combine for 2 goals thru three games and two periods. Can't be relying on the young guys for all your offence

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
I also so strongly hate running 11F 7D. No flow between pairs. Bridgewater who has an assist has barely played. Barr barely playing who's your best puck mover. I think Sim has about 3 shifts tonight if that tells u anything about how Letang feels about him lol.

Still only down 1. Surzycia is having another really strong start to the season like last year. Need more from Wainwright & Doucette up front. Hopefully they can step up in the 3rd.
I hate 11F/7D too. You already have so many new players and then they're playing with different players every shift. No chance they're going to create any chemistry. Not like we don't have the personnel to run 12F/6D either

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Wow shocked to see Wainwright after a timeout ans icing with 7.5 seconds left.
Maybe coach learned something from last night. He wins draw goes to OT

Good push in 3rd

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Damn. Well earned point in that one. They completely dominated the 3rd. How about Beckham Edwards huh? 2G, 4 in 4 games for the rookie. Gonna be such a stud for this team.

Surzycia another strong game in net. I thought Doucette & Wainwright really stepped it up in the 3rd. Need that from them every night!

You are seeing this team struggles to get a period back on track. 1st Pd vs WSR. 3rd PD @ Saginaw. Final 5 mins yesterday. 2nd today. Sign of a young team but they'll have to improve on stopping the other teams momentum a bit & not letting it become an avalanche. Loved their response in the 3rd tho.

Onto tomorrow. Hopefully they aren't to burnt out. First 3in3 and the first two are both close games that got to OT.

Last edited:

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

I wonder if one of your d requests a trade. Or if they trade Fischer at deadline. Gotta get bridgewater some more minutes

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I wonder if one of your d requests a trade. Or if they trade Fischer at deadline. Gotta get bridgewater some more minutes
Only a matter of time before the injuries start coming haha. They always do.

But I can't imagine they can do this all yr. Especially once Karimov can play in the USA & Franceschetti is healthy.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023

****Fischer is not going anywhere, no room for bridgewater other than swapping in that 3rd pairing spot.
Anderson should be playing over him as well.

Omeri played a solid game in bridgewater was steady too not sure bridgewater takes Omeri out tomorrow when karimov back.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
^ this is what I’m talking about though. Bridgewater has some skill and it’s his draft year. Wouldn’t be surprised if this keeps happening to see him ask out or someone gets traded out. Him being the 7th d will waste his potential

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
^ this is what I’m talking about though. Bridgewater has some skill and it’s his draft year. Wouldn’t be surprised if this keeps happening to see him ask out or someone gets traded out. Him being the 7th d will waste his potential

Draft year is til he turns 20 lots of time no rush he isn't ready to play more minutes than 3rd pairing. His time will come if he can adapt to thinking quicker and recognize quicker he will be good 5th 6th D for us.

I'd say get rid of Young if trading a D way too costly most games. His risk vs reward isn't worth it to me.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Toughest part after this loss is going over it in my head on drive home. Again some positives but again more let downs.
Our pp is a major let down. If don't improve in hurry we need to hire someone that is more experienced to run pps! Huge issue with being in games this year

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Good job to get a point out of a game that wasn't their best. I said the veterans needed to step up and they did. Doucette and Filak did a great job winning the board battle and setting up Edwards for the game-tying goal. 3rd period was by far their best period. They shut down Flint's cycle game very well. I thought Hurt and Omeri were big keys to that. Both were very strong down low and were moving the puck well. One heck of a start for Edwards offensively. 4 goals in your first 4 OHL games is nothing to sneeze at. Needs to work on making smarter decisions in the d-zone but most rookies need to learn that. Surzycia was steady and kept the team in the game when they were disorganized. If you can a get a win tomorrow 4 out of 6 points on the weekend doesn't sound too bad

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
If the PP wasn't an utter disaster this team would be 3-1. Hell that game in Saginaw could've went differently if it was any effective, but that might be a stretch.

I've been pretty happy with their 5on5 play. Been a bit chaotic at times but that's to be expected with so much youth. PK meanwhile has been outstanding at 92.9% and that's with Di Iorio/Edwards on it which is nice to see.

If they get this level of goaltending most nights we will be more than happy. Just need Brown/Di Iorio/Wainwright/Doucette to find their scoring touch a bit & get JJ back on line 4.

Little worried about fatigue for today's game though. Been 2 tight, intense games back 2 back & it's there first 3in3. Hopefully can muster up enough to take 4of6 on the weekend.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
I'm really fighting whether moses belongs here or not. Maybe wait to see what he does when franchesschetti opens ice up with what he brings. We will have a fresh Karimov back in line up today just hope staff can put him in a bigger role, use him more today because he is fresh.

As you said StingUpdates there is a few guys, key guys, we need to get scoring from. Let's put doucette and wainwright together for a game and get them both going.
Also it's pretty obvious Di iorio needs puck more like preseason and Brown just isn't sharing it, can see those 2 struggling alot longer if stay together

Wainwright Doucette brown
Edward's kostuch filak
DI IORIO karimov Johnston

And especially get Barr on PP and young off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad