Sarnia Sting 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
What a fun period of hockey. Awful play from bodin on 1at goal. Just fell asleep and u can't do that vs Misa..

Other than that love how we played. Every like skating well & generating. Fischer is flying. Heck of a shot from Kostuch who looks great. Just can't fall asleep like they did last week after 1 vs sag
Very similar first period to last weekend in Saginaw. Now they have to sustain it like you said. They have to be better against Misa and Parekh. Easier said than done though. That was a huge stop by Surzycia on the shorthanded breakaway with about 5 mins to go. Those are the types of stops you need to get from your veteran goalie especially with a young team. Letang needs to talk to Johnston after that penalty. Can't be taking stupid penalties like that to take away a PP. I've liked the PP configurations more today but I still do have one issue. Kostuch needs to be out there. He's one of your best offensive players on the team (as shown by that beauty of a shot). He should be out there over Filak

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I’m not sure what you’re seeing in Bodin. As far as I’m concerned, he’s a step behind the play, all the time. Needs a lot of work.

Reactions: Ferda11

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Bodin clearly needs work. He and Fischer aren’t working well together. Bodin’s play is way too chaotic to have Fischer playing as offensively as he is. Both goals on them. Fischer is playing well but needs someone more stable with him.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Bodin with a MUCH better period. Couple good plays defensively then great play on 13s goal who's having a helluva night. His skating looks really strong.

What a nice pass by Filak on Edwards goal. Brown finally on the scoresheet with the nice assist to Doucette. Surzycia been really strong in net as well.

Not sure how that cross check wasn't called on Doucette behind our net right before their 2nd goal. So blatant and then they call the Barr one... Oy OHL officiating lol.

Close this one out boys!

I’m not sure what you’re seeing in Bodin. As far as I’m concerned, he’s a step behind the play, all the time. Needs a lot of work.
He definitely needs work on upping his pace. He's stuck in the pace he played at last yr. I love his play along the walls & he's actually quite a good puck mover. But he's definitely getting exposed by elite skaters such as Misa (to be fair a lot of guys are lol)

Also the lack of Barr 5on5 & on the PP is driving me nuts. Straight up ridiculous Omeri is playing more & even Bridgewater who I do like.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Bodin has been hit or miss so far but I do think he's one of the better fits for playing with Fischer on this team. Looked better in that period. His physicality seemed to bother Misa a bit. The goal Fischer and Bodin linked up on was absolutely beautiful. The team did a good job of taking advantage of their chances. Another big breakaway stop from Surzycia on Mangone right before Edwards goal. Time to see if they can close this one out

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
What a fun period of hockey. Awful play from bodin on 1at goal. Just fell asleep and u can't do that vs Misa..

Other than that love how we played. Every like skating well & generating. Fischer is flying. Heck of a shot from Kostuch who looks great. Just can't fall asleep like they did last week after 1 vs sag

Coaching in last 40 seconds filak taking draws? You serious letang.
Wainwright 9/13 and diorio 8/15
Not sure what thinking filak lost 2 draws late they tied.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Welp. That absolutely fricken sucked. Played a pretty damn good game & give up a brutal SHG with 3 mins left then with 0.4 left. If that ain't Sarnia nothing is.

Surzycia deserved way better. He was outstanding. 4 breakaway/PS/SO saves on Misa. Johnston 2 breakaways in the 3rd neither go. Fischer backdoor tap in & it bounces on him in OT. What a bummer man.

PP is brutal. Absolutely brutal. No Barr on it is horrific coaching. Also don't get why the message on that last faceoff isn't just bull rush Hay & DONT lose it clean. Instead....

Brightside that was a terrific hockey game outside those god awful officials. Thoroughly enjoyed it more than ANY game last year. If they play like that on most nights this year we'll be just fine & they'll be very fun to watch. Loved the effort. So many blocked shots.

Unfortunately pretty shit was to kick off a 3in3. Hopefully doesn't derail the whole weekend.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Boys played well enough to win this one tonight (letang gets loss in this one with poor game management late playing favorites (filak who isn't playing C in this game besides pp even takes 2 KEY last minute draws to only lose them both.) No reason for this game to get tied up. Filak not centerman I want taking a clutch key draw.
When best line tonight was Edwards and kostuch karimov, letang needs to wake up and juggle top 2 get something going brown di iorio not getting much going on

I guess take the point and run tonight.
Still give loss to staff here.

Reactions: Ferda11

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Tougher I mean tougher game tomorrow better regroup or we could let weekend get away. Well said stingUpdates right on money!!!

Last edited:

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Letang acts like he has Pasta, DBB, Burke, Voit and Kyrou still running a 4F 1D style PP. We are too young and inexperienced to be doing that. The PP needs stability and composure with 2 actual D . It’s like Letang is doing everything he can not to put Barr on it.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Welp. That absolutely fricken sucked. Played a pretty damn good game & give up a brutal SHG with 3 mins left then with 0.4 left. If that ain't Sarnia nothing is.

Surzycia deserved way better. He was outstanding. 4 breakaway/PS/SO saves on Misa. Johnston 2 breakaways in the 3rd neither go. Fischer backdoor tap in & it bounces on him in OT. What a bummer man.

PP is brutal. Absolutely brutal. No Barr on it is horrific coaching. Also don't get why the message on that last faceoff isn't just bull rush Hay & DONT lose it clean. Instead....

Brightside that was a terrific hockey game outside those god awful officials. Thoroughly enjoyed it more than ANY game last year. If they play like that on most nights this year we'll be just fine & they'll be very fun to watch. Loved the effort. So many blocked shots.

Unfortunately pretty shit was to kick off a 3in3. Hopefully doesn't derail the whole weekend.

Di iorio was 8/15 in circle bunch against Hay
Wainwright 10/16 alot against hay
Filak 6/12 We we have filak in circle late again?
Another brutal call just hurts us game in game out mostly with his lines and pp no reason for it.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Letang acts like he has Pasta, DBB, Burke, Voit and Kyrou still running a 4F 1D style PP. We are too young and inexperienced to be doing that. The PP needs stability and composure with 2 actual D . It’s like Letang is doing everything he can not to put Barr on it.

No reason barr or Kostuch shouldn't have been pp instead of Edward's, 1000% agree OP happens even faster leta give Edwards time ffs
Some players just aren't ready for pp, give it time or throw out occasionally.
Hope staff learns quicker this year and things change quicker!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Filak played a strong game. Before those draws he was 6/10. 60%. Hay is the league's best face off guy. Just what he does. I though would have told Filak by any means necessary u can't lose it clean. Even taking a penalty is better as it takes time off. It's a once every couple years thing u see & it happened. I'm more mad at the SHG. Young tries to sell a punch to the face on a PP late. Gotta know u won't get that call & then he's beat to the puck & nobody takes Hay out front except the rookie, Edwards!

The vets on that unit simply gotta be better than that. That game was done & dusted a job well done & they gave Saginaw a shot by gliding & half assing it.

As for 4F 1D idk. Most teams do it. We hated having Fisher/Bodin both back there. I just think these units are so badly out of wack. Barr/Brown/Di Iorio showed amazing chemistry. They should be "PP2" with whoever u want in the slot & net front. "PP1" should be ran by Fischer with Wainright to his left, Kostuch or Karimov to his right with the other in the slot/bumper.

Just trash unit combinations. It jumps off the ice how little they play off each other on it. Cost them an extra PT tonight.

Hopefully it's a learning lesson for the team & they take the positives cause there were a lot of them. But gut feeling with a young team they come out awfully flat tomorrow after a heartbreaker. Hope I'm wrong & they can play like they did tonight cause they battled there tails off.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Ah yes a classic Sting loss. They got way too tentative in the final five and a half minutes. Had two PP's and it seemed like instead of trying to score they were trying to not make a mistake which is always going to get you in trouble.

Surzycia was spectacular! Made so many big saves in the third including the penalty shot save on Misa in the final minute. Bodin needs to be stronger in front of the net. First goal he let Misa get to the inside and the last goal he gets caught puck watching. They have to get him to move people like he seems to be willing to do in the corners.

On the positive side I think this team is gaining more of an identity. They're much bigger and more physical than last season already. They got under Saginaw's skin quite a bit. The PK has been amazing so far (12/13 thru 3 games). They're getting in lanes, winning battles for loose pucks, and clearing it when they get the chance on the PK. Everybody was laying out to block shots late. I saw Brown, Edwards, Karimov, and Omeri each get one.

The next two games will show us a lot about the character of this team. Do they roll over on Saturday/Sunday after a tough loss or do they come out hungry to get some wins?

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Very similar first period to last weekend in Saginaw. Now they have to sustain it like you said. They have to be better against Misa and Parekh. Easier said than done though. That was a huge stop by Surzycia on the shorthanded breakaway with about 5 mins to go. Those are the types of stops you need to get from your veteran goalie especially with a young team. Letang needs to talk to Johnston after that penalty. Can't be taking stupid penalties like that to take away a PP. I've liked the PP configurations more today but I still do have one issue. Kostuch needs to be out there. He's one of your best offensive players on the team (as shown by that beauty of a shot). He should be out there over Filak

AMEN!!! Filak had 4 years on pp after 4 years I also think his time there should be done... sh and 3rd line max...

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Gotta say. The officiating in this league is getting pretty scary. The inconsistency in the calls tonight was as bad as I've seen it. Don't call a blatant cross check then call a soft one. Call a slash on the goalie then don't call the exact same slash on Surzycia in the 3rd.

Christ even Saginaw getting 2 pretty marginal penalties in the final 5 minutes was crazy then in OT Young couldn't of more blatantly held & thrown Misa I believe late in the 3on3 & not called. That one dude so obviously destroyed Wainright on the one PK in the 3rd intentionally. Was an accidentally on purpose hit & so obvious, not called.

It's bad man. Really fricken bad. When Sarnia fans are chanting refs u suck you know it's been a bad night at the office for them cause our fans r never loud 😂.

Least the PK was much better tonight vs a dangerous unit. Moses I thought was really good on it.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
No reason barr or Kostuch shouldn't have been pp instead of Edward's, 1000% agree OP happens even faster leta give Edwards time ffs
Some players just aren't ready for pp, give it time or throw out occasionally.
Hope staff learns quicker this year and things change quicker!

6/ 10 at that time and Wainwright was 8/12 Di iorio was 9/15 @ the same time but for last minute draws filak took, just pp faceoffs prior and few shifts with Chamberlain and moses. Don't think that was right guy for win the type of draws

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
6/ 10 at that time and Wainwright was 8/12 Di iorio was 9/15 @ the same time but for last minute draws filak took, just pp faceoffs prior and few shifts with Chamberlain and moses. Don't think that was right guy for win the type of draws
Nope that's totally fair. Wainwright is usually our best FO guy. Di Iorio & Edwards have actually been very good for rookies too.

End of the day a frustrating L in a game they should've won vs a good opponent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad