Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I quite like how they did the lines for the opener. The all vet line should be one they can rely on in big spots, offensively & defensively. Huge night from them getting 4 of the 5 goals (if wainwright gets credited for the obvious game winner lol).. Putting a vet in Doucette with Brown/Di Iorio is smart so it isn't all on them to create. Then line 3 is the youngsters line with three U17s & I loved their game vs WSR. Kostuch looked maybe 60-70% & still had 2A & threw the body. Karimov is so fun to watch. Great hands, powerful, energetic. Edwards has such a high IQ & is so aware defensively already at 16 that they can trust that line more than they often would. Once Franceschetti & Moses are back line 4 is gonna be a wrecking ball & create chaos. Letting will enjoy being able to roll 4 lines I think.

Defensively I don't mind putting Fischer-Bodin together. Upside is apparent right away for them being an elite shutdown pairing. thought they did a much better job having them out vs Belchetz-Nesbitt-Greentree in the 2nd & 3rd & they didn't dominate like they did in the 1st. Just wonder if the Dcore as a whole would defend better if they had Fischer pair 1, Bodin pair 2. Thought Barr-Bridgewater were solid on 3rd pair. Moved it, didn't get hemmed in to much.

Gotta say though, absolutely hate switching up the PP units from pre season! Barr-Brown-Di Iorio had amazing chemistry on it. They scored at nearly a 50% clip. Obviously they weren't facing complete OHL rosters & what not, but why mess with it right away & not see if they can carry it into the season? PP looked way out of whack because of it. They also went from running it thru Brown down low, to Fischer & Bodin at the top which wasn't working at all. Brown barely touched it. Then Barr barely got out there it felt like with the 2nd unit.

Overall I think that game was a pretty good showcase of what this team will be like this year. Some young mistakes. Some recklessness/carelessness. Got stuck chasing the game at times vs their big boys. But once they got to playing their game the pace ramped up massively. Ton of speed. Pushing the pace, rolling the lines & pairs. Was very fun to watch. Saginaw & Misa especially have come out good & Parekh is likely back so gonna be a tough game. Be interesting to see who starts, I'm guessing Surzcyia. See if they can have a great opening weekend!

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
I quite like how they did the lines for the opener. The all vet line should be one they can rely on in big spots, offensively & defensively. Huge night from them getting 4 of the 5 goals (if wainwright gets credited for the obvious game winner lol).. Putting a vet in Doucette with Brown/Di Iorio is smart so it isn't all on them to create. Then line 3 is the youngsters line with three U17s & I loved their game vs WSR. Kostuch looked maybe 60-70% & still had 2A & threw the body. Karimov is so fun to watch. Great hands, powerful, energetic. Edwards has such a high IQ & is so aware defensively already at 16 that they can trust that line more than they often would. Once Franceschetti & Moses are back line 4 is gonna be a wrecking ball & create chaos. Letting will enjoy being able to roll 4 lines I think.

Defensively I don't mind putting Fischer-Bodin together. Upside is apparent right away for them being an elite shutdown pairing. thought they did a much better job having them out vs Belchetz-Nesbitt-Greentree in the 2nd & 3rd & they didn't dominate like they did in the 1st. Just wonder if the Dcore as a whole would defend better if they had Fischer pair 1, Bodin pair 2. Thought Barr-Bridgewater were solid on 3rd pair. Moved it, didn't get hemmed in to much.

Gotta say though, absolutely hate switching up the PP units from pre season! Barr-Brown-Di Iorio had amazing chemistry on it. They scored at nearly a 50% clip. Obviously they weren't facing complete OHL rosters & what not, but why mess with it right away & not see if they can carry it into the season? PP looked way out of whack because of it. They also went from running it thru Brown down low, to Fischer & Bodin at the top which wasn't working at all. Brown barely touched it. Then Barr barely got out there it felt like with the 2nd unit.

Overall I think that game was a pretty good showcase of what this team will be like this year. Some young mistakes. Some recklessness/carelessness. Got stuck chasing the game at times vs their big boys. But once they got to playing their game the pace ramped up massively. Ton of speed. Pushing the pace, rolling the lines & pairs. Was very fun to watch. Saginaw & Misa especially have come out good & Parekh is likely back so gonna be a tough game. Be interesting to see who starts, I'm guessing Surzcyia. See if they can have a great opening weekend!
Totally disagree with lines.
Filak has never 1st line guy, would easily excel in 3rd line support role pk and pp.
That being said doucette would be better suited with speed on 1st line with wainer and Johnston. Brown di iorio karimov (need size and grit to open more ice)
3rd would be great line Edwards filak kostich
Then crash line. Totally obvious Wainwright and doucette chemistry just go back to Preaseason 5 vs london. And last year when were together 4 on 4 and PK very electric.
bodin /young need to play together young caused 2 of 3 windsor goals indirectly and hurt struggled 1st period young needs to play with bodin help that.
Fisher hurt he top pair.
Bodin young solid pair size and skill.
Barr /Anderson (not a fan of Bridgewater, his game processing is just lacking for me, see how that goes plus Anderson way more physical, be more complementive with Barr)
That's my thoughts on things but I remember last bunch years with Letang or so lines all over the place for 1st 10 games then things get settled in with 2 complementary players per top 3 lines.

Wainwright/doucette...Johnston
Brown /di iorio...karimov
Kostich/Edwards....filak

Johnston/karimov/kostich can move around top 3 times rest should be locked

That's my 2 cents, I know there are some filak lovers out there but don't see upside in role outside of 3rd line support where he can really succeed.

I'm going to say it again agree or not every game til letang wakes up! Filak has never been a complimentary 1st line guy.
Tried many times but just isn't, think this is big mistake not having him 3rd line support role help Edwards grow in his game(lots to learn) at same time Bring stability to young inexperienced 3rd line.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Same lines as yesterday except Karimov is out. I'm guessing he can't go to the states yet. Need a seperate visa for that. So that sucks. Luecke takes his spot on L3. Andersen listed as line 4 RW.

Maillet gets the start so they are giving him a shot right away. See how he plays!

Reactions: JAMER

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Awesome to see some resilience from the team on opening night. I was only able to watch the first period and had to rely on highlights for the rest of the game. It was a pretty sloppy opening frame but it seems they got it going after that. Johnston having a great opening game is a positive sign. Maybe Seca found the forward version of Ethan Ritchie or Mitch Young.

It's interesting to see them go to Maillet tonight. I thought they would stick with Surzycia but they do have a very busy opening stretch so they probably want to make sure they don't use Surzycia too much. It will be a good test for Maillet against a red hot Michael Misa and Zayne Parekh who's returning from Calgary's camp

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
It's interesting to see them go to Maillet tonight. I thought they would stick with Surzycia but they do have a very busy opening stretch so they probably want to make sure they don't use Surzycia too much. It will be a good test for Maillet against a red hot Michael Misa and Zayne Parekh who's returning from Calgary's camp
Yah might be a big part. 3in3 next weekend then a quick turnaround Wednesday. But I also thought they'd go back to Nick.

Big test for Maillet. Be huge for him to play well to give them confidence he can play often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad