Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Former Sting goalie Ben Gaudreau signs a one year deal with the Rockford IceHogs (Chicago Blackhawks affiliate) in the AHL. He could rejoin former teammate Ethan Del Mastro there

Reactions: Jason M

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
gotta be cold and willing to walk away, i give tampa credit on that, they did what was the best for the organization.
Ya I give Tamps alot of credit to. It takes moose nuts to walk away from your franchise player. A guy who has been with your team 16 years and who has been a captain for 13 of those years. A guy who holds every major franchise record such as goals, games played and points. OH!! and let's not forget he lead you to 2 Stanley cups. Then after all that tell him hey thanks for all you've done here's a new contract for less then half of your worth but if you don't like there's the door. So ya lots of credit to Tampa. I don't think this will work out as well as ppl think.

Reactions: robp1219

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
With the entry draft in the books and the import draft tomorrow (I think) who are we hoping to see in a sting uniform this up coming September?
Honestly don't know many names. Just hoping they can address needs. Need a F with some size. Would love it to be a 17 yr old so he's here for 3 seasons which fits their timeline. Picking that high you'd love the player to be rather productive too.

Second pick i say just go best player available that plays F or G. Don't need another D to make it even more cluttered. I lean goalie but I don't imagine there's a ton of great goalie options by pick 72.

Seca usually takes guys he knows for certain are coming, at least with their first pick. Hopefully he can keep up with that.

stinger94

Jan 8, 2024
With the entry draft in the books and the import draft tomorrow (I think) who are we hoping to see in a sting uniform this up coming September?
Just really hoping for some impactful guys from the import draft tomorrow. Don’t know a whole lot about the guys they’d be targeting

I think the team is in a good spot next year for key guys to take big leaps forward. Fischer will probably see even more minutes, Kostuch and Brown (Barr and Hurt too) will be given every opportunity in their draft year, exciting to see what they can do with that.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Might not quite be worth $8 mil but He’s 100% worth more than $4mil lol, and Guentzel sure as shit isn’t worth $9mil.
Term is what is important here. For example, over the 4 years that Stamkos signed for, I believe both Monahan and Toffoli will perform better. Now Monahan signed for an extra year which may have discounted his AAV a bit. But I think if you paid 4x6mil you could have done better. And Nashville paid 4x8mil.

Sure, I could buy your argument that he is worth more than 4x4mil. But that's still closer to his worth than 4x8mil.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Term is what is important here. For example, over the 4 years that Stamkos signed for, I believe both Monahan and Toffoli will perform better. Now Monahan signed for an extra year which may have discounted his AAV a bit. But I think if you paid 4x6mil you could have done better. And Nashville paid 4x8mil.

Sure, I could buy your argument that he is worth more than 4x4mil. But that's still closer to his worth than 4x8mil.
could not find a site that rated Monahan or Toffoli higher on a list of top free agents than Stamkos (coming off a 40-40 season); Stamkos was getting more $ than Monahan and Toffoli were going to get.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If it was 2x8mil i wouldn't have an issue. Like i said though, it won't age well.
Monahan - 30, five years; Toffoli - 32, four years; Stamkos - 34, four years
I'm not sure there's enough age difference to suggest the Monahan and Toffoli contracts will age better than Stamkos. Stamkos will not lose his hockey sense or shot. He can be limited to a few minutes more than the PP and still score 25-30 goals.
And Stamkos will create substantially more revenue than Monahan and Toffoli.

Last edited:

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
H 100% worth more than $4mil lol, and Guentzel sure as shit isn’t worth $9mil.

I doubt either one of them out perform stamkos. Stamkos is a fast skater with a wicked shot, both those guys are going to fade hard because they are below average skaters even in their prime, the fast league will eat them alive in a couple years. Toffoli is only 2 years younger than stamkos. 4 year term, stamkos will be first line player for 2 of them. Next two probably a second line player. Also stamkos said he would have taken a home town discount to stay in tampa which probably would have been $7 or $6.5x4.

Last edited:

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
If it was 2x8mil i wouldn't have an issue. Like i said though, it won't age well.

Monahan - 30, five years; Toffoli - 32, four years; Stamkos - 34, four years
I'm not sure there's enough age difference to suggest the Monahan and Toffoli contracts will age better than Stamkos. Stamkos will not lose his hockey sense or shot. He can be limited to a few minutes more than the PP and still score 25-30 goals.
And Stamkos will create substantially more revenue than Monahan and Toffoli.
He is also wayyy faster than both of those guys, stamkos was known for his skating, Toffoli and monahan have always be known to be poor skaters and slow that will hurt them more near the end of their career.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Just really hoping for some impactful guys from the import draft tomorrow. Don’t know a whole lot about the guys they’d be targeting

I think the team is in a good spot next year for key guys to take big leaps forward. Fischer will probably see even more minutes, Kostuch and Brown (Barr and Hurt too) will be given every opportunity in their draft year, exciting to see what they can do with that.
Need import RW that can play top 6 minutes and pp ideally
And a import that will come grab best 1st pick and go younger second pick.

Reactions: stinger94

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

Here are some highlights! I like what I'm seeing. Been able to watch one of his games too from the MHL.

Big, strong, powerful kid. Really aggressive & relentless on the forecheck & in tight while also showing some soft hands.

Only 17 too which is perfect (assuming he's coming.)

He looks like the type of player we really needed up front w/his size, skating, strength on puck.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sting take Jack Bodin monster dman doesn't make much sense. He already signed with a team for next year.
It is a u20 team tho not an SHL team so I don't imagine it's as hard to leave if he wanted too

Reading up sounds like some thought he'd go last weekend in the draft. Captained Sweden at the U17s last year. 6'3" shutdown Dman.

Would've definitely preferred F or G, but they might've had him rated much higher or don't like what's left at those positions/that fit. See what Seca says about him coming or if it was just a shot in the dark.

Edit: looking now only 2Gs went after us & 13Fs. Few of which are signed/long shots. So does seem like it ran thin at those positions by our 2nd pick.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sarnia/Bodin now posts a video saying he can't wait to come. So looks like he'll be joining as well.

Was just reading an article about him saying he's a throwback. Hulking Dman who loves throwing big hits. In the interview with him he said he loved watching Dustin Byufglien.

Makes the D group that much more crowded but gotta say I can't wait to see him haha. We really need a guy with his size/physicality back there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad