Votes: 16 5.4%
  • Dobson

Votes: 68 22.9%

• Total voters

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
From what I've seen, he was his team's best defensive dman. I would not be surprised if down the road he's the best defensively of the bunch on this poll.
That would be surprising. Seemed to be making questionable decisions whenever I’ve seen him ; but maybe that’s the Buffalo effect. Seider still for me . The most unique skill set but I could see arguments for 3 of them

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
That would be surprising. Seemed to be making questionable decisions whenever I’ve seen him ; but maybe that’s the Buffalo effect. Seider still for me . The most unique skill set but I could see arguments for 3 of them

Definitely the Buffalo effect,

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Sanderson has it all. Just an amazing player.

The only player in his tier here is Seider, the other two are not even close.

Didn't we hear this last year and then he was alright?

When do all these amazing players and contracts start helping the Sens win? I've heard they are all amazing and the Sens are a darkhorse to do some damage for multiple years now.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Was the team around him so bad or what?

Nothing shows that he was good.
6th in league as a D pair with Zub, in xGA/60 with 500 minutes+ played.
That’s playing the hardest matchups nightly, and first PK pair over the boards.
Nothing you’ve shown yet, backs your point, other than, not watching him, and reasons like ,cause.

((Note: doesn’t transfer links properly, you’ll have to choose the options)

and for reference, Seider/Walman were second worst, same parameters.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
6th in league as a D pair with Zub, in xGA/60 with 500 minutes+ played.
That’s playing the hardest matchups nightly, and first PK pair over the boards.
Nothing you’ve shown yet, backs your point, other than, not watching him, and reasons like ,cause.

((Note: doesn’t transfer links properly, you’ll have to choose the options)

and for reference, Seider/Walman were second worst, same parameters.

Why as a pairing? Wouldn't it make more sense to see as an individual?

Min 150 mins:

At 5v5: 114th in G% (Graves/Zamula level), 66th xGF% (Pettersson/Raddysh level).

He isn't sheltered with zone starts but also isn't given a ton of defensive zone starts.

His relative stats are decent, but also, his team sucks, so not sure it is saying much.

Anyway, grabbing a random xGA with a specific player who is considered an underrated shutdown guy doesn't do much for me.

Being 50% at 5v5 for G% is bad for him based on the way Ottawa fans talk about him.

Like I said he's been fine from all my viewings... nothing more.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Why as a pairing? Wouldn't it make more sense to see as an individual?

Min 150 mins:

At 5v5: 114th in G% (Graves/Zamula level), 66th xGF% (Pettersson/Raddysh level).

He isn't sheltered with zone starts but also isn't given a ton of defensive zone starts.

His relative stats are decent, but also, his team sucks, so not sure it is saying much.

Anyway, grabbing a random xGA with a specific player who is considered an underrated shutdown guy doesn't do much for me.

Being 50% at 5v5 for G% is bad for him based on the way Ottawa fans talk about him.

Like I said he's been fine from all my viewings... nothing more.
lol who uses G%, funny one,
Minimum 150 minutes, that’s about 7 games.
I’m not concerned though, he’s better overall player than any maple leaf defenseman, you guys have.

I see your only concern is, his offense though, it seems.
Shocking a team out of the playoffs, doesn’t score as many goals as a team in the playoffs.
Makes his defensive numbers even more impressive eh, especially for on a bad team.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
lol who uses G%, funny one,
Minimum 150 minutes, that’s about 7 games.
I’m not concerned though, he’s better overall player than any maple leaf defenseman, you guys have.

I see your only concern is, his offense though, it seems.
Shocking a team out of the playoffs, doesn’t score as many goals as a team in the playoffs.
Makes his defensive numbers even more impressive eh, especially for on a bad team.

You want to use xGA by not g%? So not real goals but just expected ones? You are delusional.

g% is not just GF................

This is Ottawa's year, don't worry.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You want to use xGA by not g%? So not real goals but just expected ones? You are delusional.
No, I’m more interested in how he defends, since he’s a defensem.
Having around 1/2 point a game coming off ELC, I’m happy with.

Now put the same effort into the 4D in the poll, defensively and offensively.
g% is not just GF................
Thanks tips lol.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I'd put them

Sanderson
Dobson
Power/Seider

I value two-way players over guys slanted heavily towards offense, which I feel the latter 3 are. I feel Dobson is slightly better than the other two defensively which puts him at #2 for me. He is also far and away the best offensive player on top of that here.

Power is a bit of a question mark for me. He's the youngest of the bunch and plays for the Sabres which I don't think helps his stock very much. When I do see him play, he looks very lost in his own end. Tons of untapped potential though.

• Haha
Reactions: RedWingzz

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I'd put them

Sanderson
Dobson
Power/Seider

I value two-way players over guys slanted heavily towards offense, which I feel the latter 3 are. I feel Dobson is slightly better than the other two defensively which puts him at #2 for me. He is also far and away the best offensive player on top of that here.

Power is a bit of a question mark for me. He's the youngest of the bunch and plays for the Sabres which I don't think helps his stock very much. When I do see him play, he looks very lost in his own end. Tons of untapped potential though.
You think Seiders game centres around offense ?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'd put them

Sanderson
Dobson
Power/Seider

this guy right here has never actually watched a Red Wings game lol

Seider's game is slanted heavily towards offence...oh man...I've seen some bad takes on this site before, but this one is up there

Reactions: Hisch13r

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Seider is really hard to get a gauge of how good he actually is.

His on ice metrics are not good, but his job every night the last year or two has basically been being thrown out on the ice to jump on live grenades every shift, and some think that models don't do a good enough job accounting for that. No other defenseman gets worse deployment in the league.

I think I'm picking Sanderson based on the fact that he really looks like he can do it all, already. Seider close behind, Power and Dobson below him.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

His on ice metrics are not good, but his job every night the last year or two has basically been being thrown out on the ice to jump on live grenades every shift, and some think that models don't do a good enough job accounting for that. No other defenseman gets worse deployment in the league.

I think I'm picking Sanderson based on the fact that he really looks like he can do it all, already. Seider close behind, Power and Dobson below him.
I don’t watch Dobson enough to gauge his defence accurately but he’s the best offensively right now by a decent measure ; at least statistically. I don’t think there is any wrong answer for the top 3 ( not Power no offense )

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I'd put them

Sanderson
Dobson
Power/Seider

Dobson’s not good defensively while Seider’s strength is his defense. This makes no sense.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

He had the worst deployment in like a decade. He was forced into constantly having to flip pucks out and always play defense because of it. The 2 prior years he was still getting tough usage but just not outlier usage and he had really good to great defensive impacts.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He had the worst deployment in like a decade. He was forced into constantly having to flip pucks out and always play defense because of it. The 2 prior years he was still getting tough usage but just not outlier usage and he had really good to great defensive impacts.
You do realize that this isn't just a switch you can flip back and forth right? He's been drowning for 2 years and living off his rookie rep.

Reactions: Sens9292

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If Seider had been drowning the Wings would have been a 75-80 point team. The fact he only limits, not dominates, the likes of McDavid, Mackinnon, Kucherov, Pastrnak, Robertson, Panarin etc. on a nightly basis doesn’t mean he’s been bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad