Seravalli: San Jose to buy out Martin Jones, Canucks Jake Virtanen

Feb 19, 2018
Cool. I think Virtanen could be a cheap fit for Toronto's 3rd line.

Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Virtanen

Mik and Kerfoot could cover for him defensively, while Virtanen could bring bite and finish to the line.
Bite and finish? Wow this guy still has a reputation for that? I also hope he goes to Toronto and I’m a Canucks fan.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Martin Jones is a perfect example of why I can't stand the trend of "sleepy goaltending". He plays like he doesn't care at all.

When Carey Price does it, it's like "wow, look at how icy his veins are! Unflappable!" Even young Spencer Knight plays this way, like he's conserving energy to make it through the game, no emotion after allowing a goal.

You don't have to be Tim Thomas jumping all over the place, or breaking your goal stick after a bad goal, but if you're gonna play that style and be as consistently bad as Martin Jones, it's clearly not working. It's the wrong kind of consistency.

There might even a parallel between M. Jones and J. Virtanen. Both are physically gifted, clearly talented, and have had varying degrees of (albeit minor) success while being underwhelming for most of their respective careers.
It's mental for both guys, methinks. They just don't have the belly-fire and passion required to be contributors at this level.
Jones was explosive when it called for it until he blew out his groin and lost his lateral mobility

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If Virtanen gets bought out I can see Hextall signing him cheap lol. We did trade for McCann and they were trouble together.

Last edited:

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
Virtanen is a straight up dirt bag.
Very disappointing, but F that kid. Total goof.
I’m wondering if the Canucks are able to terminate the contract instead of buying him out?
Being an accused rapist seems like a pretty solid reason to terminate… No?

Bond

May 10, 2012
I’m wondering if the Canucks are able to terminate the contract instead of buying him out?
Probably convicted. Some team should sign him and DeAngelo just for the outrage

Reactions: fahad203

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
The claims would have to first be proven to be true. Which seems difficult in this case. Most likely he has played his last NHL game.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Cannot wait to watch Jones rebound somewhere, while Hill wets the bed for the Sharks, and we are still a bottom feeder team.

FAMOUSfin

Oct 11, 2011
Even on-ice, Virtanen was not living up to his contract, much less the qualifying offer he would have been due next offseason.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I personally want to thank Martin Jones for his service delivering Vegas numerous 5+ goal games against the Sharks, and I wish him all the best wherever his career now takes him.

VGK practise goalie for when the forwards lack confidence :sarcasm:

Until he bests you in 2OTs in a playoff Game 6 at home forcing you to wet the bed in the worst dud of a Game 7 choke I've ever seen. . . and I'm a Sharks fan

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
I remember Virtanen being highly regarded when he was still a prospect, but he's damaged goods now. He's likely done in the NHL.
On top of his off ice crap (lots), showing up to camp out of shape(at least 3 times), he has zero hockey IQ. Like none,zip, zero....his one move is to skate fast around the D, around the back of the net then either alow % shot/pass or loose it. He got by in Jr by being faster and stronger than others with a good shot. Still hasnt figured out what to do vs better competition. Been such a frustrating to player to watch

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Honestly the only way it would have worked is if he became a superstar here. He is an example of why playing for your home town team can be complete shit.
Even before these accusations that came out recently he was shit on for every single thing he did on and off the rink. His play on the ice before this season had been trending up for 3 straight seasons even tho his most common centres were Sutter and Beagle. He has his warts no doubt and was not good this season like almost every single Canuck.
Off the ice the guy lived a life that I personally think people hated on because in today's world when people are envious they have social media to vent on. The guy was enjoying life how he saw fit, partying, banging etc and for the people who new him and probably were excluded from his circle in HS have spent years shitting on him
The guy went to a bar last April he broke zero rules but because it was Jake it made big headlines here. When this recent case came out and even tho we live in a society where you are innocent until proven guilty a large portion are already convicting him.
For Jakes sake I hope another team ends up being a better fit, because the one thing that never gets mentioned is even tho he has been under a microscope and has been Greens whipping boy, Jake never complained and was a very good teammate.
People can say I'm wrong but Jake being a young good looking White guy who lives like a frat boy is the main reason people judge him so quickly, we had guys here banging other players GFs and living at clubs banging every girl they could 10 years ago but in today's world, the people who are unable to live like that have made it their goal to ruin anyone that can. Gotta love cancel culture.
This is a grotesque take.

Jake Virtanen is a Greek tragedy.

Imagine being a child and daydreaming, as many of us did, that you would have the physical gifts and the opportunity to play a significant role for your hometown hockey team. This came true for Virtanen.

But he's such a dipshit, he has disgraced himself. This has nothing to do with 'cancel culture'. He has never trained properly, never prioritized the game, and might be a rapist.

He has had several chances. I hated the Virtanen pick, and I wish we had moved away from him 5 years ago. He was never going to work out. This regime bent over backwards to give him a million chances and he squandered every single one.

You see guys like Alex Burrows who use every ounce of their human capacity to squeeze every ounce of their potential out of themselves.

Then you see Virtanen who's the equivalent of the guy who says, "Dad said he's going to give me the company if I stop doing pills, assaulting women, and crashing my corvette", and then just falls into a pit of mediocrity despite every opportunity.

He's like the loser prince who becomes the king , due to nepotism, who presides over the fall of a thousand year old dynasty. Because he is an absolute waste of his physical gifts and the opportunities provided to him.

I have nothing but empathy for mental health issues. But complacency in the face of undeserved opportunities that millions of people would give their eye-teeth for? I have no respect for that.

I strongly dislike Jake Virtanen.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I will still throw out the offer.......

San Jose's 7 OA + Jones at 50% for purposes of a buyout + 2021-3rd

for

Vancouver's 9th OA

Saves San Jose 6 million bucks

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I will still throw out the offer.......

San Jose's 7 OA + Jones at 50% for purposes of a buyout + 2021-3rd

for

Vancouver's 9th OA

Saves San Jose 6 million bucks
Honestly, I'm not sure we would take that offer if you took out the 9th and added Loui Eriksson. That contract is terrible and cap space is at a massive premium. Moving up two spots in a draft where the top 9 is considered above the rest of the crop doesn't even start this conversation.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Can't wait for the sweet, sweet $2.5 million in cap space that gets freed up this season with his buyout.
Nice knowing you Jake.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I personally want to thank Martin Jones for his service delivering Vegas numerous 5+ goal games against the Sharks, and I wish him all the best wherever his career now takes him.
Yeah, he f***ing sucked when he gave up 4 goals on a single power play and choked away a 3-1 series lead.

Oh wait.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I'd give Jones a 1 year, 1 AAV deal to try as backup, Hitmen alumni, see if change of scenery can let him rebound, Talbot worked out solid. If he totally tanks, you can bury that deal with no cap implications.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Virtanen taken in the 2014 draft before Ehlers and Nylander is embarrassing for Canuck’s scouts. Sheesh!

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I'd give Jones a 1 year, 1 AAV deal to try as backup, Hitmen alumni, see if change of scenery can let him rebound, Talbot worked out solid. If he totally tanks, you can bury that deal with no cap implications.

It's a trap!

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It’s sad ya know the last positive I saw if Jake was him defending his teamates. Ryan Hartman was making dangerous hits in our players one after another l, went after beagle, Sutter, eliass pettersson, tried to concuss him, nailed Sutter from behind. Jake virtanen put him in his place and the dangers hits siezed. St.Louis avoided similar tactic not wanting to wake up Jake and he was also a decent Deterrent against Ryan Reeves who was going after motte rouselle but avoided Jake since they are literally the same size and he can sure as hell fight Reeves. Anyways best of luck to jake.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah, he f***ing sucked when he gave up 4 goals on a single power play and choked away a 3-1 series lead.

Oh wait.
Must be nice throwing stones from the league basement. Good thing Jonesy didn't have to worry about blowing playoff games the last two seasons, eh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad