Prospect Info: San Jose Sharks #7 Prospect

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
HERE WE GO! It’s that time of the year again where we all need a little positivity to distract us from the Sharks so let’s look at the Sharks prospects!

Vote for whoever you think is the Sharks top prospect left. The whole point of this is to get different opinions and different values. Use whatever definition you want for top. If you value long term potential, NHL readiness, translatable skills, whatever it is, go for it!

As always, it’s more fun if you post why you feel your vote is the top prospect as it draws more discussion and interactivity. NO FIGHTING IN THIS THREAD.

This will stay open for 2 days. Cut off is 40 NHL games. Let me know who I should add next.

To add: Scott Reedy, Jake Furlong, Nick Cicek, Magnus Chrona, Ethan Cardwell

Rankings:
1. William Eklund-92.9%
2. Thomas Bordeleau-87.5%
3. Ryan Merkley-55.6%
4. Daniil Gushchin-48.3%
5. Gannon Laroque-24.7%
6. Filip Bystedt-39.0%

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I have Havelid at this point, but I think the top six guys are in a class of their own.
I like that call on potential. I really like Robins though and have been voting him the past couple polls. Feel like he can be a good complimentary top 9 player. I also think he’s one of the better goal scorers in our system.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I like that call on potential. I really like Robins though and have been voting him the past couple polls. Feel like he can be a good complimentary top 9 player. I also think he’s one of the better goal scorers in our system.
I personally think Robins is a straight bust. Would love to be wrong but that’s what I’m feeling. Smaller skill guys taken in the late rounds have to be extremely dynamic to make it, and I don’t see that in Robins. That same reason is what separates Gushchin from Robins in my eyes.

Reactions: Kcoyote3

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I personally think Robins is a straight bust. Would love to be wrong but that’s what I’m feeling. Smaller skill guys taken in the late rounds have to be extremely dynamic to make it, and I don’t see that in Robins. That same reason is what separates Gushchin from Robins in my eyes.
I get it because I think the same thing for Coe. I could definitely see both busting but Robins to me in my limited viewings has pretty good hockey IQ and combine that with his skills, he could have a good career.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I get it because I think the same thing for Coe. I could definitely see both busting but Robins to me in my limited viewings has pretty good hockey IQ and combine that with his skills, he could have a good career.
I think Coe is a better bet because he might be able to make it in a fourth line size on his size and speed. A veritable Luke Kunin, if you will.

Reactions: Kcoyote3

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think Coe is a better bet because he might be able to make it in a fourth line size on his size and speed. A veritable Luke Kunin, if you will.
Coe is still young so he could easily change this but I think that size and speed are the big reasons that he scored as much as he did. He was bigger, stronger, and faster than the competition. I could definitely see him working out but his floating worries me. I genuinely don’t know if I even have him in my top 10 prospects (although I could be wrong, haven’t actually thought too much about it).

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Coe is still young so he could easily change this but I think that size and speed are the big reasons that he scored as much as he did. He was bigger, stronger, and faster than the competition. I could definitely see him working out but his floating worries me. I genuinely don’t know if I even have him in my top 10 prospects (although I could be wrong, haven’t actually thought too much about it).
I completely agree. Coe could just bully around the entire OHL. It’ll be interesting how he does in the AHL this season; I expect a PPG if he’s to have any hope of being a top-9 NHL forward.

Regardless, everyone in this range is a long shot so I can’t really argue with anyone’s ranking at this point.

Reactions: Gecklund

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I like that we're at 7 and there are guys I haven't voted for, like Havelid--partly because, like Lund, he's farther away from making it, whereas Coe's coming to the Cuda this year--who I feel quite strongly about in terms of his upside and his chance to turn into a pretty damn useful player, like second pairing d-man.

It's a weird thing, though, rankings like this, trying to decide how much to weigh proximity to the NHL versus potential and personal preference. I just like that we can have these discussions and not feels like complete fools for having some optimism.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

Not that I disagree on Robins potentially being a bust but he was a 2nd round pick, not late rounds.

Went Lund. Was debating Kniazev.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I like that we're at 7 and there are guys I haven't voted for, like Havelid--partly because, like Lund, he's farther away from making it, whereas Coe's coming to the Cuda this year--who I feel quite strongly about in terms of his upside and his chance to turn into a pretty damn useful player, like second pairing d-man.

It's a weird thing, though, rankings like this, trying to decide how much to weigh proximity to the NHL versus potential and personal preference. I just like that we can have these discussions and not feels like complete fools for having some optimism.
If Coe turns into a second pairing NHL defenseman, that would be extremely impressive.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Maybe Coe will be dominate at two different positions simultaneously @The Nemesis

He's definitely big enough to be in two places at once. I mean, have you looked at the size of him?

full

(I'm sad that Vince was ousted because he's a scummy, abusive reprobate who used company funds to cover his disgusting behavior retired on his own terms. I can't make topical references to him as much now.... :laugh:

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
He might bust for sure. He has a good shot, decently speedy, and has some skill to carry him through, but it’s certainly possible he ends up more like a Gambrell type rather than a real third liner.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Is this a joke about that prospect/AHL player that may or not have ever existed that Nem used to always talk about or a Devin Setoguchi joke? I’ve been on this hellsite too long to remember. :laugh:
Oh, I was just trying to piss him off with the "dominate" thing :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Haha

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I have Havelid at this point, but I think the top six guys are in a class of their own.
That's a fair point, although what has Bystedt done other than being drafted in the first round?

Also, goaltenders tend to get underrated in lists like this since we overrate more known quantities, but it feels like at least one goaltender should be in the top 10. Strauss Mann has put up some very impressive numbers in university and now in the SHL. Of course, the same was true of Melnichuk...and Shortridge...and Grosenick...and Armalis...

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
That's a fair point, although what has Bystedt done other than being drafted in the first round?

Also, goaltenders tend to get underrated in lists like this since we overrate more known quantities, but it feels like at least one goaltender should be in the top 10. Strauss Mann has put up some very impressive numbers in university and now in the SHL. Of course, the same was true of Melnichuk...and Shortridge...and Grosenick...and Armalis...
I know that in baseball there's the term TINSTAAPP (There is no such thing as a pitching prospect). I feel like that approach should apply like ten-fold toward goalie prospects. At least people know how to evaluate pitchers; who the hell knows how to make sense of any young goaltending prospect?? Like unless they're completely dominant, it's all projectable wishcasting.

My attitude, then, is to never, ever get too invested in a goalie prospect. But I know one day I will and I worry for how badly it'll toy with my emotions.

• Haha

JumboJoe23

Aug 5, 2021
I voted Havelid here due to upside, but I also like Coe in the spot. I agree with most people though Coe could bust or be a fourth liner. He is a good skater with silky hands for a big kid tho

Reactions: themelkman

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Brandon Coe has a fun side to him, remind me of Joe Thornton. I'm not suggesting Coe going to be a god-like Thornton in assists but still seeing him having fun on the ice is awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad