Prospect Info: San Jose Sharks #3 Prospect

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Went Bystedt.

Suggested add: Nick Cicek. Also, if Reedy qualifies, Chmelevski should too.

Not to be negative but Cicek doesn't belong with this group. Maybe you value proximity to the NHL but he really shouldn't even be in the top 15 prospects on the Sharks.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I still think Merkley figured it out and becomes a DeAngelo type. Could see him hitting 50+ pts someday. I thought he had very good poise with the puck on the blue line last year. He made some plays his teammates didn’t expect to work
I think Merkley needs to work on his first 3 steps to get to that point. He's fast and he's shifty but he doesn't look like he has escape burst sometimes after those shifty moves. So he makes someone look silly but they tend to catch him even after the fact.

I think he should be able to get to NHL serviceable with his defense but it still looks like he's learning the fundamentals of hockey defense

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I think Merkley needs to work on his first 3 steps to get to that point. He's fast and he's shifty but he doesn't look like he has escape burst sometimes after those shifty moves. So he makes someone look silly but they tend to catch him even after the fact.

I think he should be able to get to NHL serviceable with his defense but it still looks like he's learning the fundamentals of hockey defense

Think that is more of a mental/systems issue than a physical one though.

Merkley seems to make a move, then either kinda stays put looking for a pass, or slowly creeps towards the net/up the boards looking for a pass, and gets caught because he is not just firing the puck on net asap or identifying an open/preferred pass option in time.

I cannot really think of a time where Merkley juked someone, then put his head down to skate the puck up the ice immediately, only to get caught from behind because his initial few steps are slow.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Think that is more of a mental/systems issue than a physical one though.

Merkley seems to make a move, then either kinda stays put looking for a pass, or slowly creeps towards the net/up the boards looking for a pass, and gets caught because he is not just firing the puck on net asap or identifying an open/preferred pass option in time.

I cannot really think of a time where Merkley juked someone, then put his head down to skate the puck up the ice immediately, only to get caught from behind because his initial few steps are slow.
You're probably right. I may just be comparing him too harshly against Karlsson. Like there are plenty of times where Karlsson would do similar jukes and then immediately attack the newly opened ice.

Reactions: Dicdonya

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
This is when it starts to get interesting. A lot of different guys who could be in the 3 slot depending on what you personally value, IE potential or likelihood to be an NHLer.

I voted gushers because I think he has a good chance to be a middle 6 guy. He hasn’t ever been slowed down with a step up in competition yet and with his skill set, it seems plausible it translates to the NHL.

He’s also not a lack of effort or D game guy like Goldobin and is just as skilled offensively, if not more. Goldobin would still be in the NHL as a 3rd liner if he actually cared as much about defense as he did offense.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad