• Mitchell Russell

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
You know the drill. Age cutoff 25, NHL games played cutoff 40. Poll will close after 2 days unless the results are incredibly lopsided.

1. Macklin Celebrini ~95%
2. Will Smith ~90%
3. Sam Dickinson ~95%
4. Quentin Musty ~49%
5. Shakir Mukhamadullin ~77%
6. Igor Chernyshov ~39%
7. Filip Bystedt ~34%
8. David Edstrom ~54%
9. Kasper Halttunen ~69%
10. Ty "The Prospect" Emberson ~26%
11. Daniil Gushchin ~23%

Reactions: landshark

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Cagnoni and Pohlkamp essentially being even in these votes is very surprising to me.
Pohlkamp is bigger, faster and has a better shot. Cagnoni is younger and has the edge in production. I can see arguments for preferring either one.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Pohlkamp is bigger, faster and has a better shot. Cagnoni is younger and has the edge in production. I can see arguments for preferring either one.
Right. I'm not discounting Pohlkamp as being a decent prospect, but he's only 1 inch taller than Cagnoni (based off central scouting's measurements), was drafted as an overager out of the USHL, and had a decent freshman season in college this past year. Cagnoni set records in the WHL and has played at essentially a ppg or better in the past 2 seasons. I'm not saying there's a chasm between the 2, but at this point I think Cagnoni is ahead of Pohlkamp.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Right. I'm not discounting Pohlkamp as being a decent prospect, but he's only 1 inch taller than Cagnoni (based off central scouting's measurements), was drafted as an overager out of the USHL, and had a decent freshman season in college this past year. Cagnoni set records in the WHL and has played at essentially a ppg or better in the past 2 seasons. I'm not saying there's a chasm between the 2, but at this point I think Cagnoni is ahead of Pohlkamp.
He may only be listed as one inch taller but Pohlkamp is 20+ pounds heavier and just looks much bigger and sturdier on the ice. It comes down to whether you prefer Pohlkamp's more projectable toolkit or put a lot of stock into WHL production. If the offense doesn't translate for Pohlkamp he could still carve out a career as a physical bottom pair RD. If Cagnoni's offense doesn't translate he's never going to play. Even if the offense does translate for Cagnoni his other inadequacies could keep him from having much value in a league where Boqvist and Brannstrom just signed for less than $1mil.

Reactions: DG93 and coooldude

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
He may only be listed as one inch taller but Pohlkamp is 20+ pounds heavier and just looks much bigger and sturdier on the ice. It comes down to whether you prefer Pohlkamp's more projectable toolkit or put a lot of stock into WHL production. If the offense doesn't translate for Pohlkamp he could still carve out a career as a physical bottom pair RD. If Cagnoni's offense doesn't translate he's never going to play. Even if the offense does translate for Cagnoni his other inadequacies could keep him from having much value in a league where Boqvist and Brannstrom just signed for less than $1mil.
Pohlkamp is 1 year older, so we'll have to see how much Cagnoni weighs coming into what could be his first pro season. I think it's premature to say that Pohlkamp's toolkit is more projectable at this point, even with his weight advantage, aside from being RHD. They're both facing an uphill battle. I don't think Cagnoni is one dimensional in the same way as Boqvist, and hopefully both of them develop the defensive capability to play for the Sharks.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Pohlkamp is 1 year older, so we'll have to see how much Cagnoni weighs coming into what could be his first pro season. I think it's premature to say that Pohlkamp's toolkit is more projectable at this point, even with his weight advantage, aside from being RHD. They're both facing an uphill battle. I don't think Cagnoni is one dimensional in the same way as Boqvist, and hopefully both of them develop the defensive capability to play for the Sharks.
I think LSW is a much better prospect than either of them, as reflected by his draft position.

• Wow

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

The only advantages I see Pohlkamp having is his shot and having an easier path due to being a RD.

Cagnoni compares favorably to a guy like Zellweger who is given his flowers by the Ducks fanbase. I don't see why Cagnoni would be held back from being able to achieve similar success. Zellweger may have prettier skating but that's about it.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The only advantages I see Pohlkamp having is his shot and having an easier path due to being a RD.

Cagnoni compares favorably to a guy like Zellweger who is given his flowers by the Ducks fanbase. I don't see why Cagnoni would be held back from being able to achieve similar success. Zellweger may have prettier skating but that's about it.
Zellweger may very well also amount to nothing. These small offensemen have no place in today's game unless they have Hughes/Makar level skill.

• Haha

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

With this kind of prospect, it's very difficult to make comparisons to other players. You really have to dig down and watch their games to see if they are comparable. Zellweger was a late first IIRC, which would give me more confidence in his projection.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Zellweger may very well also amount to nothing. These small offensemen have no place in today's game unless they have Hughes/Makar level skill.

I don't disagree with you necessarily (for every Makar, there are 40 to 50 Addisons) but so far he has shown to be productive.

With this kind of prospect, it's very difficult to make comparisons to other players. You really have to dig down and watch their games to see if they are comparable. Zellweger was a late first IIRC, which would give me more confidence in his projection.

He was a second rounder which is where Cagnoni was widely projected to go but ultimately did not.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Zellweger was dynamic in the WHL, popped on every watch. Cagnoni does not.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
If everything goes well for Cagnoni, he has a potential as a career 2nd pair, 2nd PP player with a very stellar RD or him playing RD with a stellar LD.
Teams need those type of players, but I will not hold my breath until I see couple of years against bigger players and competition.
I think with drafting Dickinson, it takes all the pressure out of Cagnoni. He has a chance to take a offensive defencemen role without playing the hardest minutes. I'm a believer with Cagnoni but as I said will not hold my breath.

Regarding Pohlkamp, we need to see a very good season at college and another year at AHL to really have an idea where he is. I really want to believe in Pohlkamp, he looked good with a small sample size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad