Prospect Info: San Jose Sharks #10 Prospect

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
HERE WE GO! It’s that time of the year again where we all need a little positivity to distract us from the Sharks so let’s look at the Sharks prospects!

Vote for whoever you think is the Sharks top prospect left. The whole point of this is to get different opinions and different values. Use whatever definition you want for top. If you value long term potential, NHL readiness, translatable skills, whatever it is, go for it!

As always, it’s more fun if you post why you feel your vote is the top prospect as it draws more discussion and interactivity. NO FIGHTING IN THIS THREAD.

This will stay open for 2 days. Cut off is 40 NHL games. Let me know who I should add next.

To add: Nick Cicek, Ethan Cardwell, Adam Raska, Mitch Russell

Rankings:
1. William Eklund-92.9%
2. Thomas Bordeleau-87.5%
3. Ryan Merkley-55.6%
4. Daniil Gushchin-48.3%
5. Gannon Laroque-24.7%
6. Filip Bystedt-39.0%
7. Brandon Coe-43.5%
8. Mattias Havelid-34.3%
9. Cam Lund-41.0%

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Man, the Wiesblatt stocks have fallen.
I think it's a combination of his relatively lower production (especially compared to his draftmates Coe, Gushchin, Robins, and Bordeleau) over the two years we've been watching him, and the opinions of those who have been scouting him that he just doesn't appear to have the offensive talent to realistically have a shot at anything more than a third-line role (and maybe not even that).

Everyone placed so far has that top six/top four potential, or at least appears to have a higher floor (Coe is big and skates well, so he could be a pretty good third liner if he shows some offensive aptitude, for example - Wiesblatt is not big and can't fall back on that). Wiesblatt is having a difficult time competing.

I have him behind Knyazev and Robins at least.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I think it's a combination of his relatively lower production (especially compared to his draftmates Coe, Gushchin, Robins, and Bordeleau) over the two years we've been watching him, and the opinions of those who have been scouting him that he just doesn't appear to have the offensive talent to realistically have a shot at anything more than a third-line role (and maybe not even that).

Everyone placed so far has that top six/top four potential, or at least appears to have a higher floor (Coe is big and skates well, so he could be a pretty good third liner if he shows some offensive aptitude, for example - Wiesblatt is not big and can't fall back on that). Wiesblatt is having a difficult time competing.

I have him behind Knyazev and Robins at least.
He's kind of like a fancier Cardwell with a bit more handling skill. Just hasn't really progressed from there it seems.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
Went Kniazev finally. The guy is only 21 and just put up nearly 30 points in his first AHL season. Not as dynamic as Merkley, but he's still a skilled mobile d-man.
For me it was close between Kniazev and Guadreau, went with Gads. I am happy that there are still guys with possibilities after top ten on this prospects list and beyond. That said I hope that GM-MG doesn't have that thing like we have seen at times with other GMs even in other sports who tend to jettison the guys picked by previous administrations, sometimes out of just disdain of all that came before without truly evaluating the those young guys objectively.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Tough to say. He was considered a top ten prospect in a much deeper Hurricanes system.
He played 15 games on the best AHL team. The sample size is shit. If you have something other than “number last year” then maybe otherwise there’s no chance he’s top 10.

Reactions: Sandisfan

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
I think that is unlikely but I like your optimism.
I was singing his praises all last season in the Cuda thread. To my eye, he looked to be the most complete NHL style player of the entire bunch on the Cuda. I’m not saying that he will be a top pairing star, but he looked better than both Middleton and Megna, and they’ve spent time on the big club. I think his ceiling is second pair and floor is 6th or 7th.

My comp was a young Justin Braun, with more grit and edge to him. Physically, he fits the traditional NHL Dman mold in terms of size. I feel he is an above average skater for his size, and his speed/agility will be more than adequate for NHL game pace. He possesses the tools to be a solid two way Dman. He makes a quick, smart first pass and gets the puck up the ice. His passing and shot overall looked to be above average. I found him to be very defensively responsible outside of a few lapses that happens to younger players. He was a leader who will stand up for his teammates, play heavy hockey, and can drop the mitts when needed. He was absolutely a top pairing caliber Dman on the Cuda who played all situations before he was injured. Post injury, he didn’t look like the same player for a few games, but looked to be trending up again as the season ended. He was playing PK,PP, the whole thing and not looking out of place anywhere.

If not the Sharks, he will make the big show and stick with someone. I think he gets a cup of coffee this year, but next year he sticks with the big show. Very impressed by him.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Says who? I haven’t seen a ranking of their system with him anywhere near that high.

He wasn’t in Scott wheelers top 20 this year even
This one had him at 12

This one at 10

I'm just saying, I've seen him highly regarded in their system that had at least one other top ranked goaltender (Kochetkov). Comparing his potential with Magnus Chrona seems a tad absurd.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
This one had him at 12

This one at 10

I'm just saying, I've seen him highly regarded in their system that had at least one other top ranked goaltender (Kochetkov). Comparing his potential with Magnus Chrona seems a tad absurd.
Again 15 games. You still haven’t given any other reason except “Canes pool good, Sharks bad.”

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad