Prospect Info: Samkow Memorial HFCBJ 2024 Summer Prospect Rankings: #6

Which of these 5 prospects is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Vote for the best prospect from the above poll (listed alphabetically) and post who you think should be added from the full (remaining) list below. Criteria is that they are under 25 and haven't spent the majority of a season in the NHL.

There are no set guidelines to determine how you vote. Peak potential, likelihood of NHL career, pathway to playing time, expectations based on draft status -- any/all of these can be used at your discretion. There is no right/wrong way to vote.

The list so far:
1. Cayden Lindstrom (C)
2. Denton Mateychuk (LD)
3. David Jiricek (RD)
4. Gavin Brindley (C/RW)
5. Charlie Elick (RD)

Select your add from the list below:
Luke Ashton (LD)
Ole Julian Bjorgvik-Holm (LD)
Cameron Butler (RW)
Corson Ceulemans (RD)
Cole Clayton (RD)
Luca Del Bel Belluz (C)
Kirill Dolzhenkov (RW)
James Fisher (RW/MOD)
Evan Gardner (G)
Tanner Henricks (RD)
Aidan Hreschuk (LD)
Oiva Keskinen (C)
Samuel Knazko (LD)
Nolan Lalonde (G)
Nikolai Makarov (LD)
Luca Marrelli (RD)
Max McCue (C)
Hunter McKown (C)
Tyler Peddle (C)
Luca Pinelli (C)
Mikael Pyyhtia (LW)
Guillaume Richard (LD)
Martin Rysavy (LW)
Melvin Strahl (G)
Andrew Strathman (LD)
William Whitelaw (C)

Added:
Sergei Ivanov (G)

add votes so far (as of Forepar):
LDBB - 18
Keskinen - 1
Gardner - 1
Ceulemans - 1

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I see too much Matt Calvert in him. Which may be why I’m voting for him too early. I think Matt Calvert made us a better team

Matt Calvert is my favorite all time Jacket. He scored more in the CHL than Malatesta. He was also always a threat to get short handed goals. Maybe Malatesta can be a Calvert with less scoring, but I think you can find plenty of guys like that.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Greaves, add LDBB. I have LDBB ahead of a bunch of guys there.

Malatesta will play in the NHL but I don’t know that he makes a team better.

Svozil is the Malatesta of defensemen.

Dumais has hip problems and already has 1 strike against him. He has no room for another mistake in his personal life. His size will work against him. I see his upside is a TJ Tynan like career.

Ivanov is behind Greaves to me because he hasn’t come over to North America. They both seem like career backups to me.

LDDB is potential 3rd liner who could play up. Probably a Bemstrom type but there is a little more upside.

I think there is a big drop off between the top 5 (my top 5 are the same as voted here) and #6 whomever that is.

Two guys that could see passing a bunch of prospects next year are Gardner and Luca Marrelli.
Really good post. I see Svozil in a little better light than that but pretty much agree on the rest. Dumais scares me the most. Anxious to see his skating after the hip fix.

Reactions: koteka

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I see too much Matt Calvert in him. Which may be why I’m voting for him too early. I think Matt Calvert made us a better team
But there was also nothing special about Calvert from a hockey perspective, and "making us a better team" when we were pretty consistently one of the biggest laughingstocks in the league is hardly indicative of anything (only made the playoffs in three of his eight CBJ seasons, for example). Anything would have made those teams better because they sucked. Malatesta, similarly is nothing special. A short sparkplug who didn't produce much in Junior, even in the worst of the three CHL leagues. He's just simply not a top prospect for a team with a top-10 pool. He's fun. Calvert was fun. You absolutely need fourth-liners, but let's not pretend fourth-liners aren't replacement-level by definition.

Reactions: koteka

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
This.

I guess I am just not on the Dumais Train. Malatesta's ceiling is clearly lower than Dumais' but Malatesta has a much higher probability of reaching his. I would say Malatesta's ceiling is Matt Calvert-lite and will play on a fourth line but Dumais is only suited to a top six role and if there is no room for him there he's a poor fit for a bottom six role.

Of course now I am talking myself into Jet or Ivanov. I think Jet could be a solid #2. What's worth more: a solid #2 goalie or a solid fourth line winger? I really like Ivanov but believe he's still 4+ years away from even being a #2 in the NHL.
I would value a solid 3rd pair D with top 4 potential more than either of those things, which is why I voted for Svosil. Add LDBB.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
But there was also nothing special about Calvert from a hockey perspective, and "making us a better team" when we were pretty consistently one of the biggest laughingstocks in the league is hardly indicative of anything (only made the playoffs in three of his eight CBJ seasons, for example). Anything would have made those teams better because they sucked. Malatesta, similarly is nothing special. A short sparkplug who didn't produce much in Junior, even in the worst of the three CHL leagues. He's just simply not a top prospect for a team with a top-10 pool. He's fun. Calvert was fun. You absolutely need fourth-liners, but let's not pretend fourth-liners aren't replacement-level by definition.

This is historically inaccurate.

Calvert became a full time Jacket in 2013-14 and in the five seasons from then until his last season with the club in 2017-18 they made the playoffs three times. They weren't a laughingstock for anything they did in that time. They were a good team. And Calvert was a very good player at times, he scored 10 points in 16 playoff games with the Jackets. He was an outstanding warrior who dragged his teammates into the fight, no less so than Dubinsky and Foligno at times, Calvert unfortunately didn't have the body to keep playing that way for very long.

They were indeed a laughingstock in 2011-12, the Carter season, but I don't know why you would put that on Calvert.

Our team of the future is going to need some Matt Calvert's. It's critical. They're not easy to find. Some fourth lines are much better than others. And Calvert was more than just a 4th liner for much of his run. Calvert-Dubinsky-Atkinson was often one of our best lines, and Calvert-Karlsson-Anderson was a great third line in our 108 pt season.

I am not expecting that from Malatesta, if I did I would have voted him top 5 on our list.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
This is historically inaccurate.

Calvert became a full time Jacket in 2013-14 and in the five seasons from then until his last season with the club in 2017-18 they made the playoffs three times. They weren't a laughingstock for anything they did in that time. They were a good team. And Calvert was a very good player at times, he scored 10 points in 16 playoff games with the Jackets. He was an outstanding warrior who dragged his teammates into the fight, no less so than Dubinsky and Foligno at times, Calvert unfortunately didn't have the body to keep playing that way for very long.

They were indeed a laughingstock in 2011-12, the Carter season, but I don't know why you would put that on Calvert.

Our team of the future is going to need some Matt Calvert's. It's critical. They're not easy to find. Some fourth lines are much better than others. And Calvert was more than just a 4th liner for much of his run. Calvert-Dubinsky-Atkinson was often one of our best lines, and Calvert-Karlsson-Anderson was a great third line in our 108 pt season.

I am not expecting that from Malatesta, if I did I would have voted him top 5 on our list.
If a Matt Calvert is a tentpole of a franchise, all that says is that is a bad franchise.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I think malatesta has a higher ceiling than you think. A do it all third liner (with a good chance to hit that) is a valuable piece. Is it a blue chip player? No. But is Malatesta being undermined here? I think so, absolutely.

I’d much rather vote for Malatesta (obviously as I’ve voted for him for a few polls now) with his safe floor rather than dumais who may not play a full season of nhl hockey, despite having way higher upside.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If a Matt Calvert is a tentpole of a franchise, all that says is that is a bad franchise.

It's funny that you're so often the one to call out others for shifting goalposts, and yet you move here from describing Calvert as a replaceable 4th liner to describing him as "not a tentpole".

My argument is that he was one of 10-15 key pieces that good and great teams need. The Oilers and Panthers would have killed to add a player like him in their bottom six.

Reactions: Xoggz22

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I think malatesta has a higher ceiling than you think. A do it all third liner (with a good chance to hit that) is a valuable piece. Is it a blue chip player? No. But is Malatesta being undermined here? I think so, absolutely.

I’d much rather vote for Malatesta (obviously as I’ve voted for him for a few polls now) with his safe floor rather than dumais who may not play a full season of nhl hockey, despite having way higher upside.
Now your second paragraph I will agree with. I just don’t see it with Dumais at all. I will be delighted to be wrong about Malatesta, but I just cannot in good faith vote for a guy who might be the 10th-14th best player on a championship team—which Columbus will be insanely lucky to achieve—very high on a prospect list. I’m not saying he sucks, I’m saying he’s average. And his slot in the pool should reflect that.

It's funny that you're so often the one to call out others for shifting goalposts, and yet you move here from describing Calvert as a replaceable 4th liner to describing him as "not a tentpole".

My argument is that he was one of 10-15 key pieces that good and great teams need. The Oilers and Panthers would have killed to add a player like him in their bottom six.
I can’t recall ever calling anyone out for moving goalposts, but that’s also not what I’m doing here. (I’m not the one constantly busting out “your logical fallacy is”) You described him as a core player so I ran with that in my response. So do you not think he was a core player for those teams?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You described him as a core player so I ran with that in my response. So do you not think he was a core player for those teams?

Read my comment again, post #38.

No one is talking about core. We're at #6 in the prospect polls.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00