Prospect Info: Samkow Memorial HFCBJ 2024 Summer Prospect Rankings: #6

Which of these 5 prospects is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Vote for the best prospect from the above poll (listed alphabetically) and post who you think should be added from the full (remaining) list below. Criteria is that they are under 25 and haven't spent the majority of a season in the NHL.

There are no set guidelines to determine how you vote. Peak potential, likelihood of NHL career, pathway to playing time, expectations based on draft status -- any/all of these can be used at your discretion. There is no right/wrong way to vote.

The list so far:
1. Cayden Lindstrom (C)
2. Denton Mateychuk (LD)
3. David Jiricek (RD)
4. Gavin Brindley (C/RW)
5. Charlie Elick (RD)

Select your add from the list below:
Luke Ashton (LD)
Ole Julian Bjorgvik-Holm (LD)
Cameron Butler (RW)
Corson Ceulemans (RD)
Cole Clayton (RD)
Luca Del Bel Belluz (C)
Kirill Dolzhenkov (RW)
James Fisher (RW/MOD)
Evan Gardner (G)
Tanner Henricks (RD)
Aidan Hreschuk (LD)
Oiva Keskinen (C)
Samuel Knazko (LD)
Nolan Lalonde (G)
Nikolai Makarov (LD)
Luca Marrelli (RD)
Max McCue (C)
Hunter McKown (C)
Tyler Peddle (C)
Luca Pinelli (C)
Mikael Pyyhtia (LW)
Guillaume Richard (LD)
Martin Rysavy (LW)
Melvin Strahl (G)
Andrew Strathman (LD)
William Whitelaw (C)

Added:
Sergei Ivanov (G)

add votes so far (as of Forepar):
LDBB - 18
Keskinen - 1
Gardner - 1
Ceulemans - 1

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Malatesta add LDBB
This.

I guess I am just not on the Dumais Train. Malatesta's ceiling is clearly lower than Dumais' but Malatesta has a much higher probability of reaching his. I would say Malatesta's ceiling is Matt Calvert-lite and will play on a fourth line but Dumais is only suited to a top six role and if there is no room for him there he's a poor fit for a bottom six role.

Of course now I am talking myself into Jet or Ivanov. I think Jet could be a solid #2. What's worth more: a solid #2 goalie or a solid fourth line winger? I really like Ivanov but believe he's still 4+ years away from even being a #2 in the NHL.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
In no way should Ivanov go before Greaves. I will switch my vote if I have to lol

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I don't like Dumais, but I don't think either of the goalies or Malatesta is a longterm NHL caliber player either so it's hard for me to vote for any of those four choices as the sixth best prospect. So therefore my vote goes to Svozil by default, because I think he probably is a steady NHL 3LD as early as 2025.

Add LDBB, who should already be on this list ahead of at least one goalie.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Not sure who should be added next, Marrelli, McCue or Dolzhenkov...

@Caser Did you watch Dolzhenkov in the KHL last season? Has he gotten any faster or looked stronger?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
In no way should Ivanov go before Greaves. I will switch my vote if I have to lol
I agree Ivanov is the one of these four that I think is in the next tier - I like Greaves about equal with the rest.

I just have a super-strong feeling about this Gardner kid. But if I’m not going to get any traction with adding him - I believe he is already a top 10 prospect - then I’m going to have to move on to other adds who I also will not likely have anyone join me on.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Not sure who should be added next, Marrelli, McCue or Dolzhenkov...

@Caser Did you watch Dolzhenkov in the KHL last season? Has he gotten any faster or looked stronger?
Not like he looked weak or slow before that. I think in general he finally got the understanding that outside of the juniors he has to use his size much better and he sort of looked good at that sporadically, but there's still quite some work to be done.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I agree Ivanov is the one of these four that I think is in the next tier - I like Greaves about equal with the rest.

I just have a super-strong feeling about this Gardner kid. But if I’m not going to get any traction with adding him - I believe he is already a top 10 prospect - then I’m going to have to move on to other adds who I also will not likely have anyone join me on.
It's just so darn hard to project goalies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It's just so darn hard to project goalies.
Agreed, even NHL guys from one season (or month) to the next. While Gardner might be a little on the small side (for now, at 18), I just really feel good about him. Not a very convincing argument for folks to join the bandwagon I know.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

I like Gardner too. I have him above Ivanov

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Greaves, add LDBB. I have LDBB ahead of a bunch of guys there.

Malatesta will play in the NHL but I don’t know that he makes a team better.

Svozil is the Malatesta of defensemen.

Dumais has hip problems and already has 1 strike against him. He has no room for another mistake in his personal life. His size will work against him. I see his upside is a TJ Tynan like career.

Ivanov is behind Greaves to me because he hasn’t come over to North America. They both seem like career backups to me.

LDDB is potential 3rd liner who could play up. Probably a Bemstrom type but there is a little more upside.

I think there is a big drop off between the top 5 (my top 5 are the same as voted here) and #6 whomever that is.

Two guys that could see passing a bunch of prospects next year are Gardner and Luca Marrelli.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Agreed, even NHL guys from one season (or month) to the next. While Gardner might be a little on the small side (for now, at 18), I just really feel good about him. Not a very convincing argument for folks to join the bandwagon I know.
Yesterday I listened to the most recent The Athletic Hockey Show podcast. They had Jesse Grainger on (their goalie guru). It was an interesting conversation as he talked about their new article ranking team's goalie situations for now and the future. A quick summary of a few of his thoughts...
  • He commented about how it's hard to evaluate goalies from season to season, even the NHL guys.
  • Blamed it on having poor advanced stats for goalies and he hopes someday someone comes up with better advanced metrics for evaluating goalies.
  • Example: he said he is very confident Juuse Saros is going to be a very good goalie for the next five years. He said the stats we use might not prove it year in and year out but he believes the player will be very good.
Like I said, it was interesting. BTW, the rankings which was a weighted evaluation of three categories: Current (next three years), Futures (prospects in the pipeline) and Cap situation for goalies had us ranked 32nd overall. 30th in Current, 20th in Futures and 32nd in Cap. Not really a shocker. Before jumping on them, they did a follow up article explaining where they think their rankings and model were flawed (have not read it yet).

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Not like he looked weak or slow before that.
He seems alright technically but I wasn't too impressed by his motor and effort level away from the puck in some MHL games during his D+1, which made his overall skating ability and strength level look rather undeveloped.

I think in general he finally got the understanding that outside of the juniors he has to use his size much better and he sort of looked good at that sporadically
That's encouraging, thanks.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
He seems alright technically but I wasn't too impressed by his motor and effort level away from the puck in some MHL games during his D+1, which made his overall skating ability and strength level look rather undeveloped.
That's encouraging, thanks.
Yeah, the consistent effort is still something that needs improvements.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1