Player Discussion Sam Reinhart, Part II: The Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Just going to throw this idea out here, Reinhart needs playing time. Last night against Philly, he was 8th amongst Sabres forwards on ice time. he played 1:10 more then Grant.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Just going to throw this idea out here, Reinhart needs playing time. Last night against Philly, he was 8th amongst Sabres forwards on ice time. he played 1:10 more then Grant.

lol "playing time" for the 20-year old in his second NHL season participation trophies soft millenials he did a turnover lol should of drafted

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I think letting him off the hook for directly contributing to two losses in five games is bogus. Worse, i think it's bad for development. Bench him or drop him down the depth chart and make him work his way back up. Look the other way and gift him everything we'll just end up with another Stafford.

Benching our most effective even strength forward sounds exactly like something Bylsma would do. Might as well forfeit 5on5 completely.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Benching our most effective even strength forward sounds exactly like something Bylsma would do. Might as well forfeit 5on5 completely.

This is the problem I have with analytics. ROR is our most effective 5on5 player. If you put Reinhart in O'Reilly's role, do you really think he would fare better? Especially if you take O'Reilly out of the equation entirely?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
This is the problem I have with analytics. ROR is our most effective 5on5 player. If you put Reinhart in O'Reilly's role, do you really think he would fare better? Especially if you take O'Reilly out of the equation entirely?

He wouldn't, because he has played C at an NHL level for what, 5 games? And ROR's results are far from spectacular when not playing with Reinhart, obviously Sam is not the only factor but elevating others' play is something that's very consistent for him. It's mind-boggling that some people are calling him disappointing when he's been doing exactly the thing he was drafted for.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Playing with Eichel and Kane he looked great. Playing on the PP in front and around the net he looks great. But a lot of the rest of the time he seems ineffective at least by comparison. Is he better at C than Jack or ROR? If not should he be 3C? Is that a waste? If he is not going to play with Jack then quite frankly I would consider dealing him but the price would be very high. I would be happy with a good young puck moving D prospect and speedy winger with a nose for the net who could complement ROR or Jack. Not likely to happen.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Playing with Eichel and Kane he looked great. Playing on the PP in front and around the net he looks great. But a lot of the rest of the time he seems ineffective at least by comparison. Is he better at C than Jack or ROR? If not should he be 3C? Is that a waste? If he is not going to play with Jack then quite frankly I would consider dealing him but the price would be very high. I would be happy with a good young puck moving D prospect and speedy winger with a nose for the net who could complement ROR or Jack. Not likely to happen.

No its not. Think 2 scoring lines and being able to attack offensively. Reinhart centering a 2nd scoring line behind Eichel. Not unlike Briere, Drury and Connolly/Roy.

Having a center spine of ROR, Eichel and Reinhart would create matchup issues for other teams. It would also take the respective pressure off of any of them individually to dominate their matchup.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
No its not. Think 2 scoring lines and being able to attack offensively. Reinhart centering a 2nd scoring line behind Eichel. Not unlike Briere, Drury and Connolly/Roy.

Having a center spine of ROR, Eichel and Reinhart would create matchup issues for other teams. It would also take the respective pressure off of any of them individually to dominate their matchup.

It might make the most sense but we are talking about a 2nd overall pick being a 3C between players like Ennis/Girgensons/Foligno/Bailey/Baptiste

don't know any 2nd overall pick where a team was happy the player developed into a third line player or in the case of a defenseman a 4 or 5D.

my hope for Reinhart is that by the time he's 23-24 he'll be strong and fast enough to do a lot more than he is capable of now, that he will be a similar player to Toews.

He himself was just quoted as saying he thinks his place is playing with Jack, he wants to do that, and that's where his talent is best utilized. Create space for Jack, get him the puck, pick up Jack's rebounds and score. Plus play on the first PP unit.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
It might make the most sense but we are talking about a 2nd overall pick being a 3C between players like Ennis/Girgensons/Foligno/Bailey/Baptiste

don't know any 2nd overall pick where a team was happy the player developed into a third line player or in the case of a defenseman a 4 or 5D.

my hope for Reinhart is that by the time he's 23-24 he'll be strong and fast enough to do a lot more than he is capable of now, that he will be a similar player to Toews.

His draft position has no correlation to where he'd be best suited on the team this year. Anchoring a scoring line is what I'd expect from a #2 pick, which would be the goal of that line.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

He himself was just quoted as saying he thinks his place is playing with Jack, he wants to do that, and that's where his talent is best utilized. Create space for Jack, get him the puck, pick up Jack's rebounds and score. Plus play on the first PP unit.

The setup jj mentioned is very similar to how the pens were setup when the won a cup with bylsma.

The third center, 2nd overall pick jordan staal.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
His draft position has no correlation to where he'd be best suited on the team this year. Anchoring a scoring line is what I'd expect from a #2 pick, which would be the goal of that line.

EXACTLY! Why do people get so freaking hung up on draft position. Bloody hell :facepalm:

A few get so wrapped up on draft position = salary = goal expectations = points expectations = bust or not. Amateur hour on HF when i read that garbage.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
EXACTLY! Why do people get so freaking hung up on draft position. Bloody hell :facepalm:

A few get so wrapped up on draft position = salary = goal expectations = points expectations = bust or not. Amateur hour on HF when i read that garbage.

Because we went through hell to acquire him and we need it to be worth it.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Because we went through hell to acquire him and we need it to be worth it.

Thats where posters differ.

I think right NOW today, the development curve of Sam Reinhart makes ALL the suffering to the point we drafted him, worth it 100%.

I think right NOW today, the development curve of Jack Eichel makes ALL the suffering to the point we drafted him, worth it 100%.

I couldn't care less if Matthews or McDavid or [insert player name here] gets more points or is flashier than those two. They are not on my team. They won't make the Sabres better.

Sam and Jack have and will. That's my opinion and it won't change. I couldn't care less where they got drafted.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
With the rampant negativity and gross overreactions on this board I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the varying degrees of disappointment in Reinhart...but I am. I can't believe last year's rookie campaign isn't completely trumping his first few games this year, with interest. He has some things to work on, sure, but this is the second week of Year 2. He's super smart, skilled, and reads the game beautifully. He's only going to get better.
His draft position has no correlation to where he'd be best suited on the team this year.
Agreed. Just my take here, but having Reinhart slotted as the future 3C is drool-worthy. I'm a firm believer in building from the center out and a possible future spine of Eichel-O'Reilly-Reinhart-(Larsson/Other) should make people all tingly once the youngsters mature. It's hardly a waste. Wingers and D may still be a problem in need of a solution, but arguably the biggest potential issue is not only solved with that spine, with the entire line-up feeling the benefits (IMO), but it's likely to be enviable across the league. And it isn't a flighty dream, it's essentially what we should expect in the not too distant future. Like flying cars and ray guns, but I digress.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
With the rampant negativity and gross overreactions on this board I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the varying degrees of disappointment in Reinhart...but I am. I can't believe last year's rookie campaign isn't completely trumping his first few games this year, with interest. He has some things to work on, sure, but this is the second week of Year 2. He's super smart, skilled, and reads the game beautifully. He's only going to get better.

Agreed. Just my take here, but having Reinhart slotted as the future 3C is drool-worthy. I'm a firm believer in building from the center out and a possible future spine of Eichel-O'Reilly-Reinhart-(Larsson/Other) should make people all tingly once the youngsters mature. It's hardly a waste. Wingers and D may still be a problem in need of a solution, but arguably the biggest potential issue is not only solved with that spine, with the entire line-up feeling the benefits (IMO), but it's likely to be enviable across the league. And it isn't a flighty dream, it's essentially what we should expect in the not too distant future. Like flying cars and ray guns, but I digress.

You cut it out with your clear thinking.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

:handclap:great post!

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
That still has nothing to do to where he's best suited now.

Yeah, Jordan Staal was 2OA and was 3rd line center when Pens won in 09. Just use him where it fits. I think he's going to be a very good top 6 player (and in many ways already is), but let's act like they're putting McDavid on the 4th line.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There is this almost rampant thought around here that being a 3C or playing the 3rd line equates to some kind of after thought career-killing waste of a roster spot. My god where does this thinking come from?!? 3rd line players play hockey too! They can win match-ups and be a difference maker too! They can even win games...playoff games even! It's true that 3rd line players can play PP or PK, win faceoffs, and score goals!

Putting Reinhart at 3C doesn't mean he's dead, it means he can tilt the match-up in Buffalo's favor and spread the burdens of all three lines.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
There is this almost rampant thought around here that being a 3C or playing the 3rd line equates to some kind of after thought career-killing waste of a roster spot. My god where does this thinking come from?!? 3rd line players play hockey too! They can win match-ups and be a difference maker too! They can even win games...playoff games even! It's true that 3rd line players can play PP or PK, win faceoffs, and score goals!

Putting Reinhart at 3C doesn't mean he's dead, it means he can tilt the match-up in Buffalo's favor and spread the burdens of all three lines.

Exactly. Kessel was technically a 3rd line winger last year. I think Crosby's line played more of a "3rd line" type roll than the actual 3rd line.

(Sorry for all the Penguin comparisons, that's the team I follow the most)

Kennerdell

Nov 11, 2015
Maryland

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Vanek, Roy, Hecht, and Timmay C. played third line and Vanek put up monster numbers because the third line that year grossly overmatched whatever anyone could possibly put up against them. Roll 4 lines and absolutely wear people out. Watching those two years of 4 lines deep was freggin' awesome.

Next year that line could be
Girgensons, Reinhart, and Nylander. If Girgensons can turn it around and go 20-20 then that line is absolutely lethal.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Vanek, Roy, Hecht, and Timmay C. played third line and Vanek put up monster numbers because the third line that year grossly overmatched whatever anyone could possibly put up against them. Roll 4 lines and absolutely wear people out. Watching those two years of 4 lines deep was freggin' awesome.

Next year that line could be
Girgensons, Reinhart, and Nylander. If Girgensons can turn it around and go 20-20 then that line is absolutely lethal.

Our 3rd line back in those two years at various points had Kotalik, Connolly, Max, Roy, Vanek and Stafford on it.

Hecht played with Briere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad