Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
And why would you waive Archibald before trying to move Pouliot at this point? Either via trade or trying to push him thru waivers.

PIT can't give him the time on the NHL roster to give him that room to grow anymore if Archie, Kuhn, etc. are more effective NHL players.

Well seeing how Archie, Kuhnhackl, etc, even if they're the more effective NHLers are not competing for the same position, it doesn't really matter does it?

Because while Archie holds appeal as a cheap almost ready NHL winger, we have half a dozen guys who can step into his shoes tomorrow, without blinking an eye. Not all might be as good or as fast... but they're similar enough that while losing him would suck, overall the impact would be minimal.

However when it comes to DP, even if you think he's more of a bust then a legit prospect, outside of DP... who do we have in the minors who have his puck moving skillset? The few who are NHL bubble players are not puck movers - other than Ruhwedel. And overall our D prospect pool is meh, and even meher if looking for a PMD. Again, I do not think DP will become a top 4 NHL D. But that doesn't mean we have the depth to dump him without at least seeing what he might be able to do.

Will we have to waive him? Very possibly... but until we're actually forced to, I think we should try to keep him on the roster - even if that means losing someone like Kuhnhack or Archie.

Doesn't matter if he's better and more useful than Pouliot.
Exactly what are we missing if we move Pouliot?
Bengtsson's better than him at this point.

What are we missing if we waive Archie/Kuhnhackl? And is Bengtsson even healthy enough to play at the NHL level?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'd rather see Blueger get a chance than a McClement signing. Ugh. McClement is way too much like Craig Adams for my taste. Plus, at least Teddy has some upside. I think his ceiling is a decent 3C, but that means there's at least a chance he could be a decent 3C. McClement won't be, and if McClement pushed Rowney up to 3C, that wouldn't be much better.

For sure. No interest in McClement at all.

At least with Blueger getting his shot, we'll know what we have in the guy.

Even if we don't land a significant upgrade over in-house options, we will be able to see them tested and see what we have with the kids. That's a bonus right there.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
3C has always been the hardest position to fill in hockey.

They are as rare as hen's teeth, everyone is looking for one, no one can seem to find one. So I can understand the panic over entering the season with that position a bit up in the air.

:laugh: I can't tell if you're being funny or not, Jaded.

Since when has 3C been the hardest position in hockey to fill? First line center, legitimate #1 defenseman, consistent #1 goalie, legitimate top four defensemen, etc. are the positions that you're always hearing teams clamoring for because they're always the hardest to find and always key to a team's success.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
:laugh: I can't tell if you're being funny or not, Jaded.

Since when has 3C been the hardest position in hockey to fill? First line center, legitimate #1 defenseman, consistent #1 goalie, legitimate top four defensemen, etc. are the positions that you're always hearing teams clamoring for because they're always the hardest to find and always key to a team's success.

You missed his sarcasm big time. :)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You missed his sarcasm big time. :)

Considering some of the complaints we've had to endure this summer about how devastating it is that we don't enter the season with a 3C all sown up, it's hard to tell sarcasm from edge-of-a-cliff hysteria nowadays.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Considering some of the complaints we've had to endure this summer about how devastating it is that we don't enter the season with a 3C all sown up, it's hard to tell sarcasm from edge-of-a-cliff hysteria nowadays.

One way is a one edge-of-the-cliff hysterical post is usually followed up on with nine other posts about group think and how nobody thinks for themselves here.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Imo McClement would have to be really, really good to justify bringing in a guy who you want no higher than 4C.

Or you can, you know, keep him. I find it hilarious how people are rushing to judgement on him after 1 preseason game that wasn't even televised.

I'm reading it as people bringing up their pre-made judgements on Pouliot and pretending a pre-season game justifies re-airing them.

You don't sign a 3rd line center for 4 million dollars. Not only is that terrible management, but it's not possible under the current salary cap. So we would've had to move a contract out to sign Bones. Creating holes to fill holes is, again, poor management.

If we get an inadequate 3C, we've created a hole where we didn't need to. And if we end up overpaying in trade for our 3C, we possibly create the same hole that would have been made by moving on someone to accommodate Bones.

The hole needed to accommodate Bonino on 4m would have been either a) not signing Hunwick and leaving Ruhwedel/AHL improvers to man 6D and maybe come back to it at the trade line or b) trade Hagelin for a low pick. The former is a less serious hole than 3C and the latter isn't much of a hole given our winger depth.

Bringing back Bonino would have been an okay move. Good on Rutherford if he pulls off something better, bad if he doesn't.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
A bust is a bust is a bust.
If Ruh, Corrado, Trotman, Czuczman, Tinordi, Bengtsson are all better options than Pooh then theres plenty of players behind him and 2 or 3 with his "skillset".

Again, my options post was if that ends up being the case which it just might be.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You're always going to have a hole somewhere in the roster. Whether or not that kills your team depends on a wider variety of factors than having that one player or not.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
For sure. No interest in McClement at all.

At least with Blueger getting his shot, we'll know what we have in the guy.

Even if we don't land a significant upgrade over in-house options, we will be able to see them tested and see what we have with the kids. That's a bonus right there.

And if he or Rowney (or both) get hurt in the first week? As long as McClement doesn't look like utter trash, sign him and dump him to the minors as insurance. Because even when we get a #3C, our center depth is going to be weak overall, and there's little downside to having someone who we could call if needed, but not use otherwise.

Imo McClement would have to be really, really good to justify bringing in a guy who you want no higher than 4C.

Not really. What happens if he's only slightly worse the TB? Or if TB shows he isn't ready for the NHL? I'm not too worried about losing some early games due to depth, but given how weak we are down the middle... I'd seriously consider signing JM if only because he gives us another option should something pop up - even if it's an option we do not like. I wouldn't want to play him and would exhaust every other option first... but he's an option I'd still like to have just in case. Ideally that option would be someone else, but right now any body will probably do.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
A bust is a bust is a bust.
If Ruh, Corrado, Trotman, Czuczman, Tinordi, Bengtsson are all better options than Pooh then theres plenty of players behind him and 2 or 3 with his "skillset".

Again, my options post was if that ends up being the case which it just might be.

These are not really comparable players. Ruh, Corrado, Pouliot and Bengtsson are really the only PMD types in that group. And whether any of our depth guys are better options or not more depends on who we're missing in the lineup that's forcing us to use one of these guys. Cole or Hunwick? Sure, plug in whomever. But if we're missing Letang or Schultz, we're really going to want some in who can move the puck. And if things are like they usually are, we'll need more than one of our AHL guys at a given time... which means as long as DP doesn't look bad... I'm going to try and hang onto him for as long as possible.

If it doesn't work out and we lose him on waivers later on, so be it. I'll be mildly disappointed, but it's not the end of the world. But that doesn't mean that with how little overall depth we have there that we should be trying to get rid of him - especially if it's only to keep someone whom is very easily replaceable with another cheap, young long term asset.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not really. What happens if he's only slightly worse the TB? Or if TB shows he isn't ready for the NHL? I'm not too worried about losing some early games due to depth, but given how weak we are down the middle... I'd seriously consider signing JM if only because he gives us another option should something pop up - even if it's an option we do not like. I wouldn't want to play him and would exhaust every other option first... but he's an option I'd still like to have just in case. Ideally that option would be someone else, but right now any body will probably do.

I'm okay with Rowney/Bluegers/Dea/McKegg as our options. McClement needs to be showing he's a notable cut above most of them for me to think adding another option is needed.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
Did anyone hear the 93.7 the fan morning show last hour? Apparently Jason Mackey said something along the lines of Riley Sheahan for Derrick Pouliot very soon, just waiting on Red Wings to finalize Athanasiou contract.

Note: I did not hear it first hand, was posted on another Pens board. [delete if false]

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Did anyone hear the 93.7 the fan morning show last hour? Apparently Jason Mackey said something along the lines of Riley Sheahan for Derrick Pouliot very soon, just waiting on Red Wings to finalize Athanasiou contract.

Note: I did not hear it first hand, was posted on another Pens board. [delete if false]

I heard it as well. Mackey is reputable so I would buy what he is saying. However, can't confirm anything until the audio goes online or there's a tweet. Certainly isn't surprising

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

That'd be great.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I'd be down with that. Give away a player I don't want anyway to get a player who might rebound. If Sheahan does rebound, 3C is set. If he doesn't, I doubt the staff will be hesitant to bump him down to 4C since all they gave up for him was a waiver-level guy.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It'd be great, but I don't understand why the Wings would be interested in Pouliot. Don't they already have like 8 or 9 defensemen on the roster and only 10 or 11 forwards signed? Trading a forward for another defenseman doesn't make much sense to me. I think they'd have more interest in Wilson or Kuhn or even Archibald.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I'd be very surprised if the Pens offered one of Kuhnh or Wilson for a guy like Sheahan.

I believe JR and especially Sullivan are really high on these AHL guys, and for good reasons.

Edit: talking about "Sullivan's AHL guys". I don't think they care too much about DP at this point.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
It'd be great, but I don't understand why the Wings would be interested in Pouliot. Don't they already have like 8 or 9 defensemen on the roster and only 10 or 11 forwards signed? Trading a forward for another defenseman doesn't make much sense to me. I think they'd have more interest in Wilson or Kuhn or even Archibald.

I mean, they [Detroit] could have other trades lined up to move some defensemen for forwards.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm conflicted on a Pouliot for Sheahan deal. I still have hope Pouliot can break out this year into a solid bottom pairing offensive dman with potential for more. But, they definitely need an upgrade at center and while I don't love Sheahan, he's certainly an upgrade and still leaves them cap space and assets to address another acquisition later if they need it.

It's not the type of acquisition I think they need, but it's fairly low risk unless you believe Pouliot is still a top 4 dman in the making.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I mean, they [Detroit] could have other trades lined up to move some defensemen for forwards.
That's a lot of moving parts to clear a little bit of cap space.

I'd be very surprised if the Pens offered one of Kuhnh or Wilson for a guy like Sheahan.

I believe JR and especially Sullivan are really high on these AHL guys, and for good reasons.

Edit: talking about "Sullivan's AHL guys". I don't think they care too much about DP at this point.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about it because I like Wilson and Kuhn, but that's what I'd be asking for if I was Detroit.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd gladly trade Kuhn for Sheahan rather than Pouliot. I like Kuhn well enough, but we have plenty of forward depth. Pouliot still has the potential tag at a position that's really important (puck moving offensive dmen). Honestly, Detroit wouldn't have interest in Kuhn for Sheahan anyway. Wilson maybe, since he has scoring line winger potential while being pretty versatile.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
As for Pouliot... he likely catches on elsewhere... he definitely regressed here trying to play more cautiously and he is currently not doing either well

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd rather hand over a winger and pick than a dman because wingers are what we have tons of and dmen not so much, but Pouliot for Sheahan would be absolutely acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad