Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: SPEED, YOUTH, AND POSITIVITY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No.

But I now have a question for you: Did the Pens immediately look different the moment Tocchet left the organization???? Maybe Phil/Geno didn't change, maybe the guy getting all of the credit doesn't deserve it.

I dunno man...

Remember when the change over happened and Tocchet was kept on as an assistant coach after MJ was kicked to the curb? Many people around here were livid and kept insisting he was a bad coach and only had a job because he was buddies with Mario.

Just interesting to me how he was viewed then and now. Seems like he became a really smart guy with Sullivan around and before that, he was a dumb ass that needed to be gone.

Sort of like how Botts became a savant when JR came around.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So, uh, unscheduled detonations from the front office PR machine aside, I am idly curious as to who might be a good PMD to add to the top 6 if Sully gets his way and one is added.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
So, uh, unscheduled detonations from the front office PR machine aside, I am idly curious as to who might be a good PMD to add to the top 6 if Sully gets his way and one is added.

Depends if Sullivan’s idea of what a good PMD is is the same as JR’s. :laugh:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I dunno man...

Remember when the change over happened and Tocchet was kept on as an assistant coach after MJ was kicked to the curb? Many people around here were livid and kept insisting he was a bad coach and only had a job because he was buddies with Mario.

Just interesting to me how he was viewed then and now. Seems like he became a really smart guy with Sullivan around and before that, he was a dumb ass that needed to be gone.

Sort of like how Botts became a savant when JR came around.

Well I never joined in that mindset, I always thought the issue was 100% on MJ.

I think Sully worked well with Tocchet and Rick had his respect probably from being the former player and coach he was. I never had an issue with Sully his first 2 years, but I started to see cracks nearly from the start of his 3rd season. I'm sure if we looked back at threads from that time period, I probably wasn't alone in seeing it either.

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That Rossi piece paints Sullivan in a worse light than Kessel, IMO. Even though I'm sure that wasn't Rossi's intention.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That Rossi piece paints Sullivan in a worse light than Kessel, IMO. Even though I'm sure that wasn't Rossi's intention.

I think it paints both in a bad light. Sullivan for dragging Malkin into his issues with Kessel, but also Kessel for refusing to adjust when his actions are negatively impacting others.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I think it paints both in a bad light. Sullivan for dragging Malkin into his issues with Kessel, but also Kessel for refusing to adjust when his actions are negatively impacting others.
I couldn't care less about the gambling. I also don't care about the non-backchecking. Team knew that when they got him. But there was an article a while back alleging that there was a regular time during practice in which the coach would gather all the players around to go over stuff on the board, and Kessel would ignore it all and continue to shoot pucks around. If true, that's blatant disrespect and a real dick move.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Well I never joined in that mindset, I always thought the issue was 100% on MJ.

I think Sully worked well with Tocchet and Rick had his respect probably from being the former player and coach he was. I never had an issue with Sully his first 2 years, but I started to see cracks nearly from the start of his 3rd season. I'm sure if we looked back at threads from that time period, I probably wasn't alone in seeing it either.

Mostly every coach begins to show cracks, unless it’s a Bowman, and he was once chased off by some foolish mindsets.

Tocchet hasn’t shown to be a great head coach anywhere he’s been.

Maybe he’s evolving still, but time will tell.

I’m certainly not going to give Tocchet credit for what Sullivan has accomplished, but I can recognize he likely played a part with the good cop, bad cop schtick.

I’m not going to blow Sullivan off yet, mostly because I know his GM went off his tree and started adding players that are the opposite of what Sullivan wanted.

You can have the greatest chef in the world, but if you give him Spam and Twinkies to serve with a five course meal...

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
All the article does is confirm Phil is going to be traded. Happened with Neal, happened with Despres, happened with Sprong, happened with basically any other trade the team knew wasn’t going to be popular with the fans.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I couldn't care less about the gambling. I also don't care about the non-backchecking. Team knew that when they got him. But there was an article a while back alleging that there was a regular time during practice in which the coach would gather all the players around to go over stuff on the board, and Kessel would ignore it all and continue to shoot pucks around. If true, that's blatant disrespect and a real dick move.

Yeah, I don't like how some people in here are trying to excuse Kessel of any wrongdoing and saying this is all Sullivan's fault. Sullivan's failing by refusing to get the room to work together with what he has, but if you have a player that continuously does his own thing and ignores what the coach is telling him to do, how is that guy blameless?

Kessel is what he is, but that's not a justification for him to not listen to the coaches. If it's causing problems beyond Kessel and Sullivan, that's a big issue and he deserves to be criticized for it. If it's causing problems for other players on the team, Kessel is being 100% selfish for not considering how his actions impact others.

Edit: I also don't know why people are trying to excuse a guy who has a well established reputation of being a problem for coaches ever since he was in the USNTDP, while blaming Sullivan entirely for those problems.

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Mostly every coach begins to show cracks, unless it’s a Bowman, and he was once chased off by some foolish mindsets.

Tocchet hasn’t shown to be a great head coach anywhere he’s been.

Maybe he’s evolving still, but time will tell.

I’m certainly not going to give Tocchet credit for what Sullivan has accomplished, but I can recognize he likely played a part with the good cop, bad cop schtick.

I’m not going to blow Sullivan off yet, mostly because I know his GM went off his tree and started adding players that are the opposite of what Sullivan wanted.

You can have the greatest chef in the world, but if you give him Spam and Twinkies to serve with a five course meal...

A lot of truth with your post, but let point out a couple of bad symptoms regarding Sully.

After the 2nd cup, anyone with a brain knew he should lighten the load of his stars during the regular season so that they would have gas in the tank for a 3 peat. What did he do instead, pout about Reaves (who has shown he can play a solid 4th line role since), and rolled with 3 lines for the majority of the season.

Also, his lack of giving Sprong a legit shot with Malkin was dumbfounding only with the fact we have so much money wrapped up in our current RW's and none of them really work with our top 2 centers.

Can you tell I'm not a Sully fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad