Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Countdown to October (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I imagine he’ll go back to being a RW again. Could end up bad at that cap/term but with Seattle and likely a lockout there are some fall backs

Last edited:

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Well, Letang did not get traded...at least not yet. *stirs pot*

Kessel, seems much more likely next year, but who knows.

One thing for sure, if the Pens somehow happen to have a bad year/have a key injury there are a few guys that would certainly be big during the TDL.

Cullen is a weird, but understandable add. He adds PK depth, FOs, and winning culture back to the room. I wonder if he can mentor Sheahan a bit?

I have to say, I hope the Pens trade Sprong if they have no intention in actually developing him with Sid or Geno. Wasting him shift after shift in the DZone starts would seriously be stupid although with Sheahan and Cullen he might stand a chance at actually getting a shot every now and then. Essentially, 2 centermen and 1 forward. Who knows, it could work out , but a bit concerning for sure.

Really so very curious to see what the line combos look like at opening night. There's a chance GMJR is not done yet, but if it sits how it is right now you have to wonder what is done with Simon, Sprong, ZAR, and Rust for that matter. Rust hasn't been stellar w/ Sid, but not moving Horny or Kessel up, I'm not sure you have much choice. I just can't see paying him 3.5 to play the 4th line.

I know GMJR might not be done yet, but not sure we added anyone besides JJ that might be "hungry" for a cup. Cullen might add a wee bit of tenacity/leadership but at his age I just hope he makes it through the season.

Goals for the offseason:
1) Add D depth- Rikkola..maybe
2) Add a PMD - JJ
3) Add a scoring LW - Cullen/Brass? Not really
4) Improve 4th Line - Cullen, Sheahan signed

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Dallas/Pittsburgh/Nashville/Vegas..... Calgary. Not crapping on Calgary, but come on. 4 amazing cities.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hope we add Duclair.

Cullen-Sheahan-Duclair although I wont be mad if we do a Cullen-Sheahan-Rust 4th line.

Duclair is just a tougher Sheary..very bad defensively. I really don't see anymore room for a wingers unless it's a bonafide LW.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Really so very curious to see what the line combos look like at opening night. There's a chance GMJR is not done yet, but if it sits how it is right now you have to wonder what is done with Simon, Sprong, ZAR, and Rust for that matter. Rust hasn't been stellar w/ Sid, but not moving Horny or Kessel up, I'm not sure you have much choice. I just can't see paying him 3.5 to play the 4th line.

Will keep training camp interesting at least. Genuine competition for places.

As for Rutherford and the Saga of the Left Wing... we'll see if it can be done. I kinda hope he can't do it right away, as there's not a lot to talk about this Summer if he does it quickly :laugh:

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Will keep training camp interesting at least. Genuine competition for places.

As for Rutherford and the Saga of the Left Wing... we'll see if it can be done. I kinda hope he can't do it right away, as there's not a lot to talk about this Summer if he does it quickly :laugh:
For sure on training camp. It sounds like he won't do anything else for a month or so, but really who knows with JR. He could get some bad PF Changs one day and trade someone....

Question for you Peat, who is the 3rd line LW? Would you move Brass over and Sheahan center? Simon? If JR does nothing else not sure who they slot here. Maybe try and slot Sprong there?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Duclair is just a tougher Sheary..very bad defensively. I really don't see anymore room for a wingers unless it's a bonafide LW.
Well, Rust there would be better but we will see. Cullen and Sheahan would be fine with the D work anyway if we got Duclair.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You know...with the signing of Cullen it makes more and more sense just to put Brassard on LW.

I wouldn't trade him for a LW.. As his ability to play top6 C incase of injury is very very valuable.

Reactions: USMC607

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
For sure on training camp. It sounds like he won't do anything else for a month or so, but really who knows with JR. He could get some bad PF Changs one day and trade someone....

Question for you Peat, who is the 3rd line LW? Would you move Brass over and Sheahan center? Simon? If JR does nothing else not sure who they slot here. Maybe try and slot Sprong there?

You need a wiser man than me to answer that question. Or a bigger gambler.

By my count, you could semi-feasibly have any of the following take the last top 9 LW slot - Rust, ZAR, Simon, Sheahan, Brassard. Can make a case for all of them. About as far as I'd go is that Sully is reluctant to move Rust over and so far seems to prefer ZAR to Simon. So ZAR or a centre?

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
With the roster as it currently is I would go

Jake Sid Sprong/Hornqvist
Hags Malkin Hornqvist/Sprong
ZAR Brassard Kessel
Cullen Sheahan Rust
I personally like your lineup, but are we really paying 3.5 to Rust to play the 4th line? Just seems like a lot to me for a 4th liner/PK guy. I guess he can move around on line assignment, so there's that...

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Sully has to grasp that the Pens value offensive stars and Sprong has offensive skills that fit that. Sprong with Sid to me is a no brainer. Speed, shot, and decent size with Sid's taking him under his wings will be a big deal. Sprong can be that RW who just brings Sids career a boost. Brassard is center and will play with Kessel and Reese. Sheahan with Rust and GMJR adding that typical LW banger with some skill is the move here.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Is this how our lineups look like right now?
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
X- Malkin-Horny/Kessel
Hag-Brass-Horny/Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-ZAR/Simon/Hayes

Did I forget anyone?

Geno's LW remains a question. No, Hag with his finishing ability isn't a top six player.

The defense looks putrid, so I don't want to post it.

Has JR gotten a half decent backup goalie?

Lol. Do this for every other roster. Pens are in damn good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan