Saginaw Spirit 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 2)

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Even outside of this series, there was a game against Erie towards the end of the year that really hurt us in the grand scheme of things. Took a loss and it was the point that put us behind the 8 ball for first in the conference. So that means we draw a super tough Soo in round 2 instead of Kitchener (not to slight you, Soo just plays us tough). We beat up on each other for 7 games. We knew that London would be the ultimate test. All that emotion and energy used in round 2. It’s a lot. If we bow out here, have to reset/refocus.

Reactions: DWI Dale

dmead

Code Spelunker
Jan 12, 2018
London
Dead tired team and out of gas. I don't know if it's diving or the legs have given out. You can say that some have seen too much ice time but no other choice really. The Soo really took it out of them, especially missing a few players and having to rely on what was available.

They have nobody in the playoff top 10 in points ( Mangone at 15 ). They stand #8 in player goals scored ( Mangone ). They have nobody in the top 10 in assists ( Parekh at 13 ).

Do you notice any missing names??? Come on, you know who I'm talking about.

Yet, I feel that this will be pinned on goaltending!
Embellishment aside, ive only seen two decent hits by Saginaw all series. The Soo really did a number on you guys.

Goaltending is not an issue. Lalonde is playing great.

I still have it Knights in 6 but feel Saginaw can bust it out anytime.

Last edited:

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
saw it with our hounds in 2018. owen sound and kitchener beat us to a pulp in 2 back-to-back 7 game series and the hounds never hit full stride in the finals vs. hamilton.

the series is far from over but imo saginaw needs to "dig deep" to play tougher hockey instead of shying from it and embellishing. tough task when they're tired and battered but it's not going to get any easier now that the officials have caught on to the flopping. just my .02 cents.

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
If Saggy loses this series the only positive is they will go into the Mem Cup healthy with everyone on board. Teams get beat up in the play offs.
If Saggy loses they will have bruised egos.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
and... the names missing in my post are Sapovaliv and all the players we traded for.

Sapo has never been a pts guy though. His two way play, and faceoff ability are his calling cards. He has been great at both. Jorian was great as well. Probably ate up 30 minutes. Rumor is beck is playing pretty dinged up. The two guys from Windsor were pretty unnoticeable last night.

Lalonde was good after the first minutes but those first 2 goals on two shots were BAD. I was right behind his net, he left massive holes. A storm trooper could have hit the net

and... the names missing in my post are Sapovaliv and all the players we traded for.

Sapo has never been a pts guy though. His two way play, and faceoff ability are his calling cards. He has been great at both. Jorian was great as well. Probably ate up 30 minutes. Rumor is beck is playing pretty dinged up. The two guys from Windsor were pretty unnoticeable last night.

Lalonde was good after the first minutes but those first 2 goals on two shots were BAD. I was right behind his net, he left massive holes. A storm trooper could have hit the next

Reactions: rve24

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
Saginaw has a great team. Probably the best puck moving team I’ve seen all year. It may be a blessing in disguise if Saginaw lose in round three. Take three weeks off and go max effort in the tournament. They have just as good of a chance at winning the championship as anyone else. One could argue they’d have the best odds with some time off.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Saginaw has a great team. Probably the best puck moving team I’ve seen all year. It may be a blessing in disguise if Saginaw lose in round three. Take three weeks off and go max effort in the tournament. They have just as good of a chance at winning the championship as anyone else. One could argue they’d have the best odds with some time off.
I can see that. Obviously they’d rather get the OHL title but I think they know they can hang with London if they are on their game. Another thing to think about is that there aren’t a ton of teams that play like Saginaw. Don’t know if the teams from the Q or WHL will have a game plan for our system on short notice. London will because they play them regularly. Same for whoever comes from the east if they beat London. The more you see of us the more you can prep for what we do. A tourney where at best you get 2 games against us could be huge for us.

BThumme

Oct 2, 2023
I know every goal gets reviewed but my god, I have to hold my breath after ever spirit goal. It just always feels like it takes a couple more seconds than it should be.

The regular season was brutal to us in that regards.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

BThumme

Oct 2, 2023
You guys, they're doing it again. What is this circus? The last two weren't even remotely close.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Lol
That was a great pass by Beck though

Kind of a similat goal thereby Cowan to bring it back within 1

Two beauty's

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
What is with the officials reviewing offsides and goaltender interference everytime when Saginaw scores???😐😐😐
Pretty much what you suspect….just listen to Doyle on the London broadcast - he’ll explain it - lol. Doyle explains everything like we can’t see the replay and figure it out. Should have heard his breakdown on the whole Bonk - Sapivolov - Parekh - Lawrence situation - just laughable hearing the description of what he thought he saw…

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad