GDT: Sabres vs Kings 7 PM ET - TV:MSG Radio: WGR550 - 2024-25 Home Opener!

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
We've been singing the same song and dance for seasons now.

"If they play like 'this' or they play like 'that' they win most nights". But those nights where they win never come consistently, and sure as hell don't come consistently enough to accomplish anything. They've had so many nights like that over the years, that the thought is just a bunch of bull****. They've played exactly how we thought they COULD play to win a game only to lose it way too many times. Eventually that idea loses it's meaning, and it's just ignorant optimism.

They don't win enough, because they aren't good enough. They didn't play good, they played BETTER than their opponent for the majority of the game. Good teams AT least are able to cash in on 5 on 3's. Even the worse-playing Kings were able to do so, and even at crunch time.

Enough with the "morale" victories. They don't add points to the standings.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
We've been singing the same song and dance for seasons now.

"If they play like 'this' or they play like 'that' they win most nights". But those nights where they win never come consistently, and sure as hell don't come consistently enough to accomplish anything. They've had so many nights like that over the years, that the thought is just a bunch of bull****. They've played exactly how we thought they COULD play to win a game only to lose it way too many times. Eventually that idea loses it's meaning, and it's just ignorant optimism.

They don't win enough, because they aren't good enough. They didn't play good, they played BETTER than their opponent for the majority of the game. Good teams AT least are able to cash in on 5 on 3's. Even the worse-playing Kings were able to do so, and even at crunch time.

Enough with the "morale" victories. They don't add points to the standings.
Yeah - how often this happened last year against much better teams than LA definitely adds to that as well.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The Sabres need to find ways to win the games they aren’t supposed to. Instead they’re finding ways to lose the ones they shouldn’t. And somehow people are still taking this as a positive.

Reactions: sabremike

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
People act like finishing isn't part of the game. If you can't finish, it's not an accident or something like the rain that comes and goes. It's either part of your skill set or not, and we don't have anyone who can finish consistently on this team rn.

Tage could do it for 100 games or so but everyone figured him out and now we're back to having none.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I am not interested in making excuses for this team. But realistically, this group has never had an "NHL Coach." Whatever your opinion of Ruff, he is coaching them to do things that haven't been part of their game before, or in a long time, so i expect growing pains. Their only stinker of a game was the second game against NJ. First game was a slow start but by the end, Buffalo outplayed NJ. Last night, from start to finish, Buffalo outplayed LA. The saves Kuemper made were game changing. We are not going to run into a goalie on fire everynight. We are not going to hit posts and have bobbling pucks every night. If this team keeps their head down and plays this way consistently, then i think we'll be okay.

The biggest issue now is that we will need a small win streak to erase the losing streak. Also, never lose more than three in a row. They need to win the next game.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I am not interested in making excuses for this team. But realistically, this group has never had an "NHL Coach." Whatever your opinion of Ruff, he is coaching them to do things that haven't been part of their game before, or in a long time, so i expect growing pains. Their only stinker of a game was the second game against NJ. First game was a slow start but by the end, Buffalo outplayed NJ. Last night, from start to finish, Buffalo outplayed LA. The saves Kuemper made were game changing. We are not going to run into a goalie on fire everynight. We are not going to hit posts and have bobbling pucks every night. If this team keeps their head down and plays this way consistently, then i think we'll be okay.

The biggest issue now is that we will need a small win streak to erase the losing streak. Also, never lose more than three in a row. They need to win the next game.
You make a shit load of excuses for someone who is "not interested in making excuses."

They're not winning the next one, man, wake up. It's Florida and they just lost.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Tage could do it for 100 games or so but everyone figured him out and now we're back to having none.

Tage's slow start is definitely concerning, but c'mon. Last season was a down year for him because he had a wrist injury that impeded his play for the first quarter or so of the season. Once he came back and got healthy, he was playing well and one of our best forwards. The two seasons before that, he was one of the best forwards in the league. I am not going to buy "Tage cant do it anymore" because it fits a narrative.

The “deserve to win “ meter is just another example of how hockey analytics is a pseudo science on par with astrology.

I’ll take an old timer’s “gut feeling” over whatever these number geeks are selling every day of the week.
Advanced analytics aren't a science. They are a trend predictor. They are often accurate. They are often not. Anyone who relies solely on analytics is going to have a bad time. Doesn't mean they don't have value in the game.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Tage's slow start is definitely concerning, but c'mon. Last season was a down year for him because he had a wrist injury that impeded his play for the first quarter or so of the season. Once he came back and got healthy, he was playing well and one of our best forwards.
He's still one of our best forwards...which is the problem. He's not able to finish anymore yet he's still better than everyone else.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
He's still one of our best forwards...which is the problem. He's not able to finish anymore yet he's still better than everyone else.
Again, not buying the "he can't finish" argument three games into the season. More concerning to me is Tuch and especially Cozens. Tuch had a nice breakaway goal last night but other than that he is shooting high and wide and not making the tape to tape passes.

Cozens had a very down year last year. I am afraid it's going to carry into this year. I am not going to write him off inside the first week of the season, but he needs to show more signs of life.

Samuelsson needs to stop playing like a dummy too. He is supposed to be our stalwart stay at home defensemen, but i am constantly seeing him out of position, getting burned one on one, or missing hits.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Byram really stuck out to me. Dude is so dynamic with the puck on his stick. Maybe we found Power's long-term partner. Now, just upgrade on Joki, and I think the D is set for a while.
I think they tried but no one they wanted would waive ntc (and who can blame them). They have 5-6 guys in the pipeline but no one really ready to step in any time soon other than Johnson and I'm not sure they see him fitting in here now ?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Again, not buying the "he can't finish" argument three games into the season. More concerning to me is Tuch and especially Cozens. Tuch had a nice breakaway goal last night but other than that he is shooting high and wide and not making the tape to tape passes.

Cozens had a very down year last year. I am afraid it's going to carry into this year. I am not going to write him off inside the first week of the season, but he needs to show more signs of life.

Samuelsson needs to stop playing like a dummy too. He is supposed to be our stalwart stay at home defensemen, but i am constantly seeing him out of position, getting burned one on one, or missing hits.
2 players have 10+ SOG through the 1st three games:

Cozens (0 goals on 14 SOG)
Thompson (1 goal on 11 SOG)

Way more concerning to me:

Peterka has 2 SOG in 2 GP
Quinn has 1 SOG in 3 GP

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I think they tried but no one they wanted would waive ntc (and who can blame them). They have 5-6 guys in the pipeline but no one really ready to step in any time soon other than Johnson and I'm not sure they see him fitting in here now ?
I know Johnson played with the big club towards the end of last season, but i am unfamiliar with his game. Is he more offensive or defensive minded?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
People act like finishing isn't part of the game. If you can't finish, it's not an accident or something like the rain that comes and goes. It's either part of your skill set or not, and we don't have anyone who can finish consistently on this team rn.

Half agree. Obviously scoring goals is a part of a players skill set... but I also think there's a serious mental side of it for this particular group. You could drop the most prolific goal scorer in the league onto this team at the wrong time and it'll tank their numbers.

Dunno if it's the playoff drought, the contracts, etc... but there's the wrong kind of bug in their heads right now and considering the "win now" expectations, I don't see how they'll settle down anytime soon.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
You make a shit load of excuses for someone who is "not interested in making excuses."

They're not winning the next one, man, wake up. It's Florida and they just lost.
And you shit on this team so often it makes me wonder why you still watch/pay attention. Fandom is weird. We all cope in different ways. Mine is plausible deniability and yours is crushing defeatist.

Quinn has 1 SOG in 3 GP
Fair point. I mean, Peterka played a game and a half. Quinn on the other hand, i expect a lot of him this year (he is on my fantasy team so yeah...). I hope he finds his groove in the next game or two.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Quinn has 1 SOG in 3 GP
The most concerning for me is Dahlin, who has 0 points, -4 on the season, has 5 SOG total. And it's not just the number counting, but he's regressed into a shell of his abilities over the past few seasons with his play, especially on the offense. He's supposed to be a dynamic player on the ice, and he just looks like a bottom pairing journeyman to me.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Half agree. Obviously scoring goals is a part of a players skill set... but I also think there's a serious mental side of it for this particular group. You could drop the most prolific goal scorer in the league onto this team at the wrong time and it'll tank their numbers.

Dunno if it's the playoff drought, the contracts, etc... but there's the wrong kind of bug in their heads right now and considering the "win now" expectations, I don't see how they'll settle down anytime soon.
I've been hearing this since Eichel was drafted. I guess there's something in the water because it never goes away, and never gets better. A decade and a half of hearing that guys are gripping their sticks too hard because they're in their own heads.

The mental side is part of the game, like finishing, and it's the GM's job to find guys who are good at these things. But Buffalo doesn't prioritize it, they seem to solely focus on guys who are fast and work hard.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
The most concerning for me is Dahlin, who has 0 points, -4 on the season, has 5 SOG total. And it's not just the number counting, but he's regressed into a shell of his abilities over the past few seasons with his play, especially on the offense. He's supposed to be a dynamic player on the ice, and he just looks like a bottom pairing journeyman to me.
Isn't joker his partner? Jokiharu has been a pylon these first three games. Dahlin's game has it's warts, but no way Joker is helping with that.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The kings won that game like the Sabres during their 10 game win streak a half decade ago won that game. Down for a large part of the game, handily outplayed, and they capitalize on their few chances and win. It's not sustainable for the Kings, and the Sabres losing that type of game is not sustainable either.

The Sabres played the type of game they needed to last night, but they couldn't finish. I hope Ruff pushes that fact. I'm not trying to cover for them or make excuses, I'm just thinking of the next 79 games and trying to see how we can look forward.
The Sabres shouldn't be compared with any other actual NHL team, the King's with their core (old and new) have had success and playoffs. What other teams do and what the Sabres have done in the past are not the same.

Compare the Sabres to AHL teams.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Isn't joker his partner? Jokiharu has been a pylon these first three games. Dahlin's game has it's warts, but no way Joker is helping with that.
Dahlin only plays with him for literally half his minutes. Can't blame it on that.

Also, you can just watch him and see that he isn't making good plays and they have nothing to do with Joki.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I've been hearing this since Eichel was drafted. I guess there's something in the water because it never goes away, and never gets better. A decade and a half of hearing that guys are gripping their sticks too hard because they're in their own heads.

The mental side is part of the game, like finishing, and it's the GM's job to find guys who are good at these things. But Buffalo doesn't prioritize it, they seem to solely focus on guys who are fast and work hard.

The drought hasn't ended lol, and it just keeps getting worse. It's a catch 22. They can't get past it until they accomplish something, but they can't accomplish something until they get past it.

I dunno how you fix it, we've replaced the entire team several times, and the coaches. There was a point where our top 6 had a lot of serviceable to great players in Eichel, Reinhart, ROR, Kane, etc. The only consistent thing in every iteration of the drought era teams is they all are/get some variation of snakebitten.

Don't think anyone here will say Tage Thompson doesn't know how to score goals. You don't get almost 50 in the NHL by accident.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
The “deserve to win “ meter is just another example of how hockey analytics is a pseudo science on par with astrology.

I’ll take an old timer’s “gut feeling” over whatever these number geeks are selling every day of the week.
The analytics are based on the underlying assumption of average shooting skill/finish and average goaltender performance.

The Sabres are shooting like really awful crap right now. But outside of that one save from Markstrom in game 1, I don’t think they’ve really been getting “goalied”.

We heavily out chanced the Kings last night, nearly shutting them out from any chances at 5v5 in the 1st and 2nd periods. But we’ve got no finish in us right now at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad