Speculation: Sabres trade needs

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Kaliyev from LAK is an interesting buy low option. Picks or prospects

Maybe for somebody else he would be, but not Buffalo. We have a dozen skilled wing prospects, and probably at least 3 of them could jump in next year and give us his ~25 points or better. Any trade chip we’re targeting needs to either be a bona fide top 6 scoring winger who pushes someone else on our roster down the lineup or a reliable 200’ 3C who bumps Krebs.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Krebs will be fine at 3c. We should focus on a winger and C depth. WPG makes the most sense, Ehlers and Kupari would be a nice package. Ehlers seems to not have us on his NTC as it sounded like preliminary extension talks happened. What's the cost on a non-extended Ehlers and Kupari?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Krebs will be fine at 3c. We should focus on a winger and C depth. WPG makes the most sense, Ehlers and Kupari would be a nice package. Ehlers seems to not have us on his NTC as it sounded like preliminary extension talks happened. What's the cost on a non-extended Ehlers and Kupari?
I don't know what the Jets plans are for Kupari. He's cheap, so there's no rush, but I don't know where they see him. He's a guy who looked some nights that he was so close to putting it together, but then you look at his stat line and he has 1 point in 28 games. So I don't think a ton of value.

Ehlers I think you're looking at a 1st plus good prospect type area where the prospect and pick can fluctuate depending on the other.

Not sure though if Chevy is looking for a hockey trade though as that would be harder to find IMO.

Reactions: SundherDome

Dadof5boys

May 25, 2003
Murfreesbo Tennessee
Visit site
That's a bummer, because, otherwise the productive, age and contract are fit.

Ya know with the 4th line the Sabres have built, with that new line combining for a massive number of hits/blocked shots, etc. I would still consider Novak. I'm more interested in a 3C that can move Up the lineup than a 3C that fits very well as the 4th line grinder C.

Move to 3 scoring lines, and forget the hits. 4th line can play 12 minutes + they seem more capable than Girgs/KO etc from years passed.

What would Novak cost anyways?
To Buffalo: Tommy Novak
To Predators: 2025 2nd round pick
This would work for me. Not sure if other Preds fans would agree.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The Sabres are going into the season currently missing a top 6 winger AND a real third line center. What are some realistic trade targets available now that the frenzy is over? Let's assume any player with even a 3 team NMC has buffalo on it. GM's job is on the line he needs to add something significant.

I would structure any deal as pick (1st or 2nd 2025), prospect, Krebs/Jokiharju.

Buff 1st + Krebs for Tavares done

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
3rd line center? JG Pageau is your man. Picks and prospects in return preferred.
If you mean you want to deal picks and prospects with Pageau to get him off your cap, that is reasonable. If you think someone is going to give you picks and prospects for him you are likely going to be sorely disappointed.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The Sabres are going into the season currently missing a top 6 winger AND a real third line center. What are some realistic trade targets available now that the frenzy is over? Let's assume any player with even a 3 team NMC has buffalo on it. GM's job is on the line he needs to add something significant.

I would structure any deal as pick (1st or 2nd 2025), prospect, Krebs/Jokiharju.
You have any interest in Brandon saad? He has 2 years left and blues have excess wingers and lack centers. I’d think krebs could be of interest to us in return.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
That's too much, especially for a guy with his cap hit and injury history. The original post that brought him up was asking for only a fourth.

MIN 4th and Nadeau?
Dvorak for pretty much anything works honestly, unless there's a cap dump coming back because the Habs don't necessarily need to move Dvorak, but I think it would be best for all parties if they did. He has struggled in Montreal and I don't know how much he has left in the tank (he's not old but has had a loooot of injuries) but you could probably do worse for a 3C and it certainly won't come at a high trade cost. Dvorak is a good faceoff guy and has a versatile but kind of vanilla skillset.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Blake Coleman could be both.

Having a cup winner come in might be good for that young core.

Coleman would fit the Sabres nicely (from a neutral's view).

JGP is also a good shout for a low priced low-risk player. He is useful enough for contributing offensively even though he's not in an offensive role. He was 7th in shots blocked last year, 11th in hits, 55% faceoffs, very few penalties taken and 10th highest in % of shifts in the defensive zone (Malenstyn was 1st which would mean the Sabres have 2 of the top 10).

He was shooting at under 11% so anything close to 15% and you'd see more production from him in a different team I'd say.

Running Thompson, Couzens, JGP and Krebs/ Malenstyn down the middle would be solid and with JGP only having two years, it gives the younger guys time to prove they can become a C at the NHL level.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
That's too much, especially for a guy with his cap hit and injury history. The original post that brought him up was asking for only a fourth.

MIN 4th and Nadeau?
Habs have no reasons to trade Dvorak, he isn't really taking a spot from our prospects, is very strong on the dot and provides decent offense. For sure there are concerns about his injuries but players overcome injuries all the time in the NHL.

On top of that, Habs will be competing the Sabres for a Wild Card spot so there it will take a minimum of a 2nd round pick I would think.

I

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad