Speculation: Sabres trade needs

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
According to Capfriendly, Lars Eller has no trade protection of any kind. He's signed for $2.45M for one more season.
He scored 15 goals and 16 assists for 31 points last season, with 73.7% Defensive Zone starts.
Eller would be perfect but why would Penguins trade him?

Eller gives our prospects a year to develop if we can't add a better center during the season.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The Sabres are going into the season currently missing a top 6 winger AND a real third line center. What are some realistic trade targets available now that the frenzy is over? Let's assume any player with even a 3 team NMC has buffalo on it. GM's job is on the line he needs to add something significant.

I would structure any deal as pick (1st or 2nd 2025), prospect, Krebs/Jokiharju.

Jeff Skinner and Casey Mitts.

Kidding, I’m cool with the Mitts move at least.

For me, it’s more the RD I’m concerned with. I’d almost package Power and a top prospect for a solid RD and a decent winger at this point. I’m not done with Power or anything, just uncertain and we gotta start winning now.

Krebs can try 3C, if it doesn’t work then changes need to be made. But ya, there’s suddenly a Skinner sized hole in the lineup, shocking, and we haven’t addressed the defensive imbalance. Really hoping something is in the works.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Why can't Krebs be 3C?

Because he hasn’t shown any consistent ability to play well on either side of the puck at the NHL level yet. He *might* be able to play that role (we haven’t really seen him play with anything other than 4th line/waiver fodder wingers, nor have we seen him with good NHL coaching), but it’s hardly a guarantee that he’ll look good there.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
He’s decent defensively and extremely good at faceoffs. He’s just invisible offensively.

I just said picks and prospects so it’s not one of those even in even out cap type of trades. Not interested in retaining honestly.

I've been the only proponent of adding Pageau on the Sabres board and the most I'd give with zero retention is a 4th.

Faksa went for FC, You probably have to add to Pageau to get him off your roster. That 2nd year is the issue...and the $5million per...and the no offense thing...

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
With the Preds being over the cap with RFAs to sign, we need to jettison some salary. Would you be interested in Tommy Novak at 3.5 million for the next 3 seasons?

Interesting. But Novak isn't the kind of player our management is looking for. He plays soft, lots of offensive skill, not good at face-offs...he's just not the guy. It's a nice contract. He's just another wing/center hybrid and we've got a bunch of those guys coming up soon so...

He had FIVE HITS in 1000 minutes. Kevyn Adams is looking for guys with 5 hits per game lol.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Jeff Skinner and Casey Mitts.

Kidding, I’m cool with the Mitts move at least.

For me, it’s more the RD I’m concerned with. I’d almost package Power and a top prospect for a solid RD and a decent winger at this point. I’m not done with Power or anything, just uncertain and we gotta start winning now.

Krebs can try 3C, if it doesn’t work then changes need to be made. But ya, there’s suddenly a Skinner sized hole in the lineup, shocking, and we haven’t addressed the defensive imbalance. Really hoping something is in the works.
It is kind of absurd the hate power gets after a sophomore season when most D struggle.

We can't afford to allow Krebs to "try" 3C.

I think our D is 100% fine.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Interesting. But Novak isn't the kind of player our management is looking for. He plays soft, lots of offensive skill, not good at face-offs...he's just not the guy. It's a nice contract. He's just another wing/center hybrid and we've got a bunch of those guys coming up soon so...

He had FIVE HITS in 1000 minutes. Kevyn Adams is looking for guys with 5 hits per game lol.

That's a bummer, because, otherwise the productive, age and contract are fit.

Ya know with the 4th line the Sabres have built, with that new line combining for a massive number of hits/blocked shots, etc. I would still consider Novak. I'm more interested in a 3C that can move Up the lineup than a 3C that fits very well as the 4th line grinder C.

Move to 3 scoring lines, and forget the hits. 4th line can play 12 minutes + they seem more capable than Girgs/KO etc from years passed.

What would Novak cost anyways?

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
That's a bummer, because, otherwise the productive, age and contract are fit.

Ya know with the 4th line the Sabres have built, with that new line combining for a massive number of hits/blocked shots, etc. I would still consider Novak. I'm more interested in a 3C that can move Up the lineup than a 3C that fits very well as the 4th line grinder C.

Move to 3 scoring lines, and forget the hits. 4th line can play 12 minutes + they seem more capable than Girgs/KO etc from years passed.

What would Novak cost anyways?

Novak is 6'1" 179, and played 4th line minutes with zero points in the Vancouver series.

I don't know what he would cost...its a bargain contract but not for a 4C. If they think Parsinnen is their future 3C I can see why he would be on the block.

Rosen+2nd seems fair from the Sabres. For a guy who isn't the guy they are looking for, wouldn't do anything higher than that.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I just said picks and prospects so it’s not one of those even cap type of trades. I can see Lou attaching a pick to move him but not for a return of another roster spot.
Yeah I know but you aren’t getting a return if you move him, you’re getting cap relief. He’s probably as close to future considerations as it’s gonna get, unless you add something

Reactions: tsujimoto74

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Eller would be perfect but why would Penguins trade him?

Eller gives our prospects a year to develop if we can't add a better center during the season.
The Penguins just got Hayes. They have Lizotte and Acciari for 4C and then Poulin and Ponomarov in WBS that can play center.

Not that Eller wouldn't help the Penguins but he would be expendable considering the Penguins might not necessarily be looking to contend. Dubas just said he sees Hayes as 3C so given who they just signed, it would make sense to make him available.

He was signed last year so they don't have any attachment to him and they are in a position to be able to take back very little and likely still be happy. That's why I suggested a 4th.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
If Landy is healthy and Nich succeeds in the program (November would be when the suspension is over) Colorado will be over the cap. My bet is Ross Colton would be the one traded.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Coyle is too important to the Bruins for them to move him for anything other than an overpay. He was able to fill the 2C spot last year very well despite having a crazy amount of D-zone starts. Also got some selke votes. Yes he is getting older, but without him the Bruins top six looks more like a top line, Marchand, and 2 third liners.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The Penguins just got Hayes. They have Lizotte and Acciari for 4C and then Poulin and Ponomarov in WBS that can play center.

Not that Eller wouldn't help the Penguins but he would be expendable considering the Penguins might not necessarily be looking to contend. Dubas just said he sees Hayes as 3C so given who they just signed, it would make sense to make him available.

He was signed last year so they don't have any attachment to him and they are in a position to be able to take back very little and likely still be happy. That's why I suggested a 4th.
I'd be willing to give a 2nd, he should return at least a 3rd at the deadline if the sabres are out of it by then.

Reactions: Sideline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad