Confirmed with Link: Sabres Sign Jason Zucker, 1 year, $5M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I don't mind 1 year deals with older players.

Maybe they put together a solid season, maybe they are tradable for assets at the deadline of we are out of the playoffs, maybe they help us get to the playoffs and worst case scenario is they suck and are gone next year.

The risk vs reward is pretty good.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Could have just waited and bought out Skinner later, instead of using Cap Space for such a move.
I agree but someone mentioned maybe Skinner wanted out or something gray like he would be bottom 6er or press box duty and both sides decided it was a good time to move along. Another year would be better for the cap but not wanting to be here can be cancerous.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I agree but someone mentioned maybe Skinner wanted out or something gray like he would be bottom 6er or press box duty and both sides decided it was a good time to move along. Another year would be better for the cap but not wanting to be here can be cancerous.
Not that different for the cap - an extra 400K per year, $2.4M in 2030. Not worth him floating around like a turd in a punchbowl.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
QUOTE="Diaspora, post: 196312768, member: 328675"]
Not that different for the cap - an extra 400K per year, $2.4M in 2030. Not worth him floating around like a turd in a punchbowl.
[/QUOTE]
Ah. Haven't looked at it in a while but I thought I remembered next summer being the sweet spot

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
There is just zero evidence of that in the last three years in Buffalo. He's been a positive five on five, just not worth $9 M and most of the contract was a sunk cost.
There is plenty of evidence. You’ll just call it fake news because you don’t like what the evidence says.

Funny narrative when the Sabres are a cool +42 over the 4 seasons with Skinner in our top 6. But we don't let facts get in the way
What’s funny is pointing to a plus minus stat in 2024.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
There is plenty of evidence. You’ll just call it fake news because you don’t like what the evidence says.

What’s funny is pointing to a plus minus stat in 2024.

His advanced five-on-five stats are just not terrible. Sure, his possession stats don't blow you away. Yeah, they are not worth the $9 M. No argument there. But there is so much focus on the $9 M when really it should be what we can do with the difference, factoring in the major cap penalty for three years. (It also looks like Pegula won't spend to the cap again but we'll see. Still hard to say. But if we are $10 M under cap, that's another wrinkle to this debate.)

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I'm guilty of it as well, but I feel that it is unfair to Zucker to compare him to Skinner; especially straight production. Aside from injuries or a complete roster collapse, Zucker will not see 1st line or PP1 minutes.

IMO, Zucker has been brought in to provide speed and some offensive fire power from the 3rd line with flexibility to move up in the lineup as situations occur. Adams spoke of speed being a way to be "tougher to play against" and that is one of Zucker's strengths.

Obviously we need to replace Skinner's offensive output and its hard to see where that will come from on the current roster, but that should not be expected of Zucker. If they don't find a new top 6F for this role, its got to come from the core returning to form or a breakout candidate like Quinn, Benson, Savoie, Kulich, etc...

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
+9

How dare I bring up facts into the conversation, silly me
Evidence based on a $9 M salary is irrelevant. That's the discussion point. His salary was mostly a sunk cost, with the cap only decently recoverable in 2024-25. I would say 100%, we can get a better player in 2024-25 with the cap savings. (Not sure we did with Zucker. LOL). Justifying in 2025-26 and 2026-27, going to be tough.

Reactions: ceky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad