Sabres RFA Offer Sheets. Let's Do it

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I know they rarely happen, but Sabres have the picks, and everybody seems to think we have too many picks anyway and want to compete now.

The Hurricanes have some major talent available, and nobody in the league will cry if they get a player with an offer.

I think Sabres take the pick this year, build more depth and go all in on an offer sheet to someone. We can lose out 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 2025 and pay up to $8.58 M X seven years. Why not. I might even go to the next threshold and gift up two firsts. I wouldn't go above $10.7 M and give up four that is nuts.

We can trade some prospects out to get a 2nd or third back easily too.

I know people will say what goes around comes around, and teams will target Levi, Quinn, Peterka etc. Lock them up early. You lose someone, so be it.

Buffalo needs to start playing some hardball. It's a soft franchise from the ice to management, scared to make an aggressive move. Show people Sabres are ready to do business.

Feel free to attack me now.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Sabres have flexibility so if someone wants to OS them, they can do it back. However I am all for anything at this point that's fun.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
While the Canes are in a vulnerable position, the league is so old boysie that no one will do it.
Jesperi Kotkaniemi happened, and Sebastian Aho before that. It is possible. Funny how Buffalo got more screwed by an offer sheet than anyone in league history. I suppose Shea Weber might be worst. Vanek's offer sheet for $50 M in 2007 is equivalent to $75 million today over seven years. LOL

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Sabres have flexibility so if someone wants to OS them, they can do it back. However I am all for anything at this point that's fun.

That's half my point. You can't just do something differently for the sake of it but if it's radical with a good chance of success, why not.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
All this upcoming young talent won’t be on ELCs forever. Doubt it’s even considered in general, but certainly not without Skinner off the books.

Reactions: rams

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado will be tight for cap space. I would target their RFA's.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Colorado will be tight for cap space. I would target their RFA's.
Offer for Mittelstadt
source.gif

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
The skeptic/cynic in me coming through, but since offer sheets are a pretty rare occurrence and it's highly unlikely that the Sabres go down this path, this seems like a thread destined to degrade into complaining that the Sabres aren't really trying, lack the cajones to do what needs to be done, and dump another big stinkin' load of poop 💩 on the GM, ownership, and the entire organization.

That said - have fun! :popcorn: :surrender:deadhorse:banghead:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The skeptic/cynic in me coming through, but since offer sheets are a pretty rare occurrence and it's highly unlikely that the Sabres go down this path, this seems like a thread destined to degrade into complaining that the Sabres aren't really trying, lack the cajones to do what needs to be done, and dump another big stinkin' load of poop 💩 on the GM, ownership, and the entire organization.

That said - have fun! :popcorn: :surrender:deadhorse:banghead:

This would require doing something completely outside the box. Sabres could go down as team that pioneered something or look like fools. No risk, no reward.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This would require doing something completely outside the box. Sabres could go down as team that pioneered something or look like fools. No risk, no reward.
For me, it is not completely outside the box as much as it is just exceedingly rare that a player signs an OS and it is even rarer that a team lets a player move via an OS from another team.

Since the 2004-05 lockout, there have been 10 players signed to an OS with 8 out of 10 being matched.

The only guys that moved via an OS were Dustin Penner from Anaheim to Edmonton for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and Jesperi Kotkaniemi from Montreal to Carolina for a 1st and 3rd.

2 out of hundreds of RFAs over the last two decades is not something that I would spend much time contemplating.

:dunno:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
For me, it is not completely outside the box as much as it is just exceedingly rare that a player signs an OS and it is even rarer that a team lets a player move via an OS from another team.

Since the 2004-05 lockout, there have been 10 players signed to an OS with 8 out of 10 being matched.

The only guys that moved via an OS were Dustin Penner from Anaheim to Edmonton for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and Jesperi Kotkaniemi from Montreal to Carolina for a 1st and 3rd.

2 out of hundreds of RFAs over the last two decades is not something that I would spend much time contemplating.

:dunno:

I know it's not going to likely happen but it would be funny to see Buffalo trail blaze a new wy to think about this.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Wont happen, but I'd target the Kings.

Go after Byfield. 7 years, 8M a year. they have Danault and PLD on awful deals that they would need to move to make it work. Byfield has Thompson potential, would immediately give us an amazing young talent who is just starting to grow into his potential

Kings have large deals all over the roster. Only 13 guys on the roster next year with $20M roughly in cap space. They will need to sign two defensemen, 4-5 forwards, and 2 goalies. Byfield at $8M kills their space to sign anyone competitive (would leave 12M for 6-8 players).

Sabres only RFAs coming up that would be at risk for a counter would be Quinn/Peterka. but I dont think the Kings would be in the position to make a move next year

EDIT: Looking into this - any deal above 7M for Byfield cripples the Kings. They have a LOT of RFAs that they need to sign, and no goalies that are NHL starter worthy in the org. They need 3-4M at least for a goalie. I'm sure they are looking to bridge Byfield, but if the Sabres came in offering big bucks? Byfield would be a fool to turn down 60M+ for a bridge deal for 10-12M

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Go after Byfield. 7 years, 8M a year. they have Danault and PLD on awful deals that they would need to move to make it work. Byfield has Thompson potential, would immediately give us an amazing young talent who is just starting to grow into his potential

Kings have large deals all over the roster. Only 13 guys on the roster next year with $20M roughly in cap space. They will need to sign two defensemen, 4-5 forwards, and 2 goalies. Byfield at $8M kills their space to sign anyone competitive (would leave 12M for 6-8 players).

Sabres only RFAs coming up that would be at risk for a counter would be Quinn/Peterka. but I dont think the Kings would be in the position to make a move next year

EDIT: Looking into this - any deal above 7M for Byfield cripples the Kings. They have a LOT of RFAs that they need to sign, and no goalies that are NHL starter worthy in the org. They need 3-4M at least for a goalie. I'm sure they are looking to bridge Byfield, but if the Sabres came in offering big bucks? Byfield would be a fool to turn down 60M+ for a bridge deal for 10-12M

At the bare minimum, you would have to hit the $8.58M + x 7. I think they match. You probably need to get into higher territory, which is two firsts, a second and a third. A big question for me is whether he is better than Cozens. A year ago at 31-37-68, everyone takes Cozens. Byfield is a much bigger guy. Stinks at faceoffs too.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Extending offersheets always incurs the retaliatory wrath of the other team.

Sabres are sitting in a glass house right now with their upcoming cap situation and JJP, Benson, Byram, Quinn, Johnson and Levi all needing new deals soon, and the team is going to have to bridge a player or two.

If they really want Byfield, Just offer the 4 unprotected first round picks, because it is going to cost that much anyhow (as @SnuggaRUDE pointed out, there is a 5 year rule on offersheets which modifies the compensation).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I’ve been a big Byfield fan since his draft year, would love to get him. But it’s hard to imagine the Kings letting him go now that he’s started breaking out.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Just offer a 1 yr x $12M deal if you want Byfield. Then do a 8 x (lower amount). The price is spread out over 5 years, regardless of the length of the original contract.

But if you’re gonna do that, make sure it’s an actual core person.

1x12 would be 4 1sts. It's the lower of the contract length or 5 years.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad