Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign Dahlin 8 years $88 million ($11 million AAV)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Fox and Makar's contracts look like absolute steals now while Dahlin gets paid like a NHL journeyman matching Doughty and just under Karlsson.

I don't like the AAV because I don't think the cap is going to go up much. They always say it will but then goes up 1 million or 2 a year. This also isn't a discount at all.

Prove me wrong NHL.
It has only been going up a million or two recently due to the players having to pay back the owners for the revenue lost during the pandemic.

That is expected to be paid off this season with a $4M or so jump in the cap for next season.

I feel like this AAV is high given what Dahlin has done to date and the other contracts that 1D have signed around the league. However, I would rather have Dahlin overpaid for 8 years than a lower cap hit for 4-5 years.

Reactions: mviewer1

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I don't like the AAV because I don't think the cap is going to go up much. They always say it will but then goes up 1 million or 2 a year. This also isn't a discount at all.

Prove me wrong NHL.
The cap is going up. The cap is going up.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think given the rising cap that was announced, this AAV makes sense. I noted previously that 10M x 8 would have actually been a bit below market. Curious to see the NTC/NMC details.
Power next, please.

I still don't understand the obsession with getting Power done. The optimal setup for him is bridge to long term deal so you know what you have rather that trying to save a few dollars for what you are hoping you have.

He has no bargaining power off his ELC. He can't go to arb, he can't be offersheeted. Let him develop this year, get him on a value bridge deal then worry about his contract 3 years from now.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think given the rising cap that was announced, this AAV makes sense. I noted previously that 10M x 8 would have actually been a bit below market. Curious to see the NTC/NMC details.

I still don't understand the obsession with getting Power done. The optimal setup for him is bridge to long term deal so you know what you have rather that trying to save a few dollars for what you are hoping you have.

He has no bargaining power off his ELC. He can't go to arb, he can't be offersheeted. Let him develop this year, get him on a value bridge deal then worry about his contract 3 years from now.
I want Power done sooner rather than later merely because I believe that the longer it takes to get his next contract done, the higher the AAV will be as I expect Power to be better this year than he was last year.

That being said, if I were Power's agent, there is no way I do a deal until after the season for the reason above.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Beautiful.

He's overpaid by 0.5 m-1 m IMO. But he has realistic potential to further improve & become the best all rounder in the league.

He had to be locked up for max term, whatever the cost.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Goosebumps.
Everybody was okay with 10, now it's 11. How can that be a bad thing? Dude is going to be the best defensemen in the league starting this season.

Reactions: GOALOFSSON

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Considering the recent talking point was like 4 years at more than $11... I'm thrilled. It's not a discount but he didn't try and take us to the cleaners either. Fair price for locking up one of the best D in the league for most of his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad