Confirmed with Link: Sabres have promoted Seth Appert to assistant coach/Amir Gulati to video coordinator/Girardi let go

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Why would an agreement between the NHLPA and the league, neither of which groups includes NHL coaches, have anything whatsoever to say about NHL coaching contracts? The coaches are not unionized, and especially do not belong to the NHLPA, and are absolutely 100% not party to the CBA.

That is not Friedman's job at all.
My mistake then. Either way it was discussed today than the NHL has to approve these situations where newly hired coaches who are still under contract with others. because it’s agreed upon that they have to offer their coaches what they consider “market value”

I assumed that would be part of the CBA. Either way, it’s absolutely not a thing that teams can hire coaches nearly nothing and make the other team pay in full.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Yes, I've seen it. This was right after Kim Pegula had a heart attack and she was still recovering. He wasn't allowed to talk about it -- he was crying because of that.

I literally can't believe you think a grown man would cry in public, during an interview because his new boss was slightly better than his previous boss. It blows my mind that you think that's what this video is showing :laugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Adams completely tanked any good will he created by hiring an actual NHL coach by setting up his succession plan 2 years down the road with installing another completely unqualified newb.

Absolute joke.
I’m curious what you think qualifies someone to be a NHL assistant head coach. I would think 3 good AHL seasons developing many of the players he will coach is as good as any.

I mean some posters were losing their minds over Peca leaving. He had two years as a AHL assistant. Now he’s on the staff of one of the best teams in the NHL.

At the end of the day it will be the head coach that drives things.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Yes, I've seen it. This was right after Kim Pegula had a heart attack and she was still recovering. He wasn't allowed to talk about it -- he was crying because of that.

I literally can't believe you think a grown man would cry in public, during an interview because his new boss was slightly better than his previous boss. It blows my mind that you think that's what this video is showing :laugh:
The posters point was that it seems Adams is a micromanager. He very clearly isnt.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It's literally on video. Hit play.

He wasn't crying because Big Bad Botterill was gone dude. This was immediately after his boss's wife had a life-altering heart attack, and he was talking about all of his bosses -- Kim being the main one before she was taken out.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

That's what he's saying and that's how everyone other than you is interpreting it but laugh away.

Oh and I met Jerry Forton last year and he confirmed he loves working for Adams to me personally but he was probably lying to me then too.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The posters point was that it seems Adams is a micromanager. He very clearly isnt.
He's not a micromanager -- agreed.

That's what he's saying and that's how everyone other than you is interpreting it but laugh away.

Oh and I met Jerry Forton last year and he confirmed he loves working for Adams to me personally but he was probably lying to me then too.
I'm sure he loves Adams and loves working for him. I don't think he cries because he loves working for him so much.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
He wasn't crying because Big Bad Botterill was gone dude. This was immediately after his boss's wife had a life-altering heart attack, and he was talking about all of his bosses -- Kim being the main one before she was taken out.
I can't believe you think a grown man would cry in public because his bosses wife had a heart attack.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
He's not a micromanager -- agreed.

I'm sure he loves Adams and loves working for him. I don't think he cries because he loves working for him so much.

OK man - you're right and the rest of the world is wrong and Forton is lying. Got it.

Let's move onto something else. Honestly the Ruff interview today with Duff and Biron helps a lot. I like how they intent to change the power play - especially the bumper running it. I wonder who ends up being primary in that role.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Are you sure he coached "many" of them? I don't count that many.

And I can find coaches all over the continent who has coached a few of these guys. That's not a good reason to hire an assistant coach.

None of the assistant coaches in the playoffs right now were chosen because of familiarity of 3 or 4 players on the team when they were younger. That's a bad vetting process, bad criteria. All other teams prefer experience winning at the NHL level, not experience with development.
Peca says hello.
Ott says hello

As do a lot of other assistant and head coaching hires over the years.

You really have no idea what idea what you’re talking about. You just want to be angry online.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I’m curious what you think qualifies someone to be a NHL assistant head coach. I would think 3 good AHL seasons developing many of the players he will coach is as good as any.

I mean some posters were losing their minds over Peca leaving. He had two years as a AHL assistant. Now he’s on the staff of one of the best teams in the NHL.

At the end of the day it will be the head coach that drives things.

The unqualified quip was referencing the in two years when he takes over for Ruff. I'm just letting my anger get ahead of me.

Reactions: joshjull

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

Never had a bad boss?

Reactions: Diaspora

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think they are making a serious mistake that will hurt them. Not only because of the appointment of Appert, but in general with the entire headquarters, a new look was needed.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Watching this, Lindy is either a great actor or is truly excited to have Appert on his staff.
Or, he knew this was coming for a while and he has accepted the situation and is putting a positive spin on things.

That is pretty natural. Just look at Bills fans that didn't like Keon Coleman a ton before the draft and they are now trying to be as optimistic as possible since he was drafted by the Bills.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Or, he knew this was coming for a while and he has accepted the situation and is putting a positive spin on things.

That is pretty natural. Just look at Bills fans that didn't like Keon Coleman a ton before the draft and they are now trying to be as optimistic as possible since he was drafted by the Bills.
A fanbase versus a coach who we assumed who would be wielding some form of power when he was hired.

Maybe we were wrong in our assumption, maybe not. Guess we'll see, I certainly have no problem with the hiring.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The unqualified quip was referencing the in two years when he takes over for Ruff. I'm just letting my anger get ahead of me.
I wouldn’t think too much about it yet. Plus a lot has to play out for that to actually happen in two years. There are also legit reasons to bring him in as an assistant. They may not be as fixated on a succession plan as some on here are. Edit: Adams has to actually have some success and still be here in two years for that to even be in play.

Last edited:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The scouting department is different from the coaching department. Because he doesn't actively take part in what the scouts do doesn't mean he's completely hands off on the coaches. These assistant coach hires have his stink all over it.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I think they are making a serious mistake that will hurt them. Not only because of the appointment of Appert, but in general with the entire headquarters, a new look was needed.
I don't think it was needed, tbh. Wilford did a bang up job with the D and the PK, Bales did a great job with UPL. Appert gets a chance at working with the forwards and the PP. Ellis, much like most of his career, gets to head to the press box and provide insight in that manner. I know people wanted sweeping changes but they honestly were not needed. I also trust that Ruff has the authority to banish someone if it isn't working.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
The scouting department is different from the coaching department. Because he doesn't actively take part in what the scouts do doesn't mean he's completely hands off on the coaches. These assistant coach hires have his stink all over it.
Think it's more of a Terry thing wanting to keep him around imo. Known Pegula crony with a similar story to how Adams got the job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad