Confirmed with Link: Sabres: Embedded on the 2024 Draft and the opening of Free Agency drops 7/30/2024 @ 7pm

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Notes as I listen:

1) They mentioned two guys for 14, Adams says "if we are that close, we go Center". Would have to think that means a winger was the other option. Like that they wanted to go Center for positional importance. Maybe they were taking Hele or MBN? Similar two way play, but MBN is the winger compared to Hele
2) Devine says (during discussion of a prospect), "I disagree about his game against Canada. He was physical against them, but not good. Dont mistake physical for good". I say the same thing about watching certain players on the ice. Hitting everything doesn't mean you are playing a good game. Need to be responsible, but lay the body when it's the right option. Like that Devine is willing to say that
3) Ziemer will be an interesting guy to watch. Could see him being a Jason Zucker guy in the league with an A on the chest (maybe even a C). They are obviously high on him
4) Sabres really wanted Beck. He could be like Greenway from last year. Physical, true bottom 6 talent. Excited to see him in the sweater
5) Not enough credit for Konsta's suit on draft night. CLEAN
6) Adams "Perfect world... 4th line with speed, physicality, versatility". Totally agree, 4th line is tone setting but not heavy footed
7) Two players left on the list after day 1 for 42. Would think 1 went before Kleber, and did they have Kleber as a round 1 guy? I believe so
8) Opens day 3 with Forton saying "big drop off with only Ziemer left. Was happening while the Ducks were taking Masse - was he the other guy on their list and when he goes now they get after Ziemer?
9) Adams paces when he is on the phone - I do the same
10) If what Adams is saying is true, Sabres had skill - it was known around the league. However, we couldnt impose physically, and we started slow. Lindy wanting to set tones early and then let the skill go from there is exactly what we need. Lindy seems giddy about being a HARD team to play against. This may be a VERY excited team to watch this year. Thank goodness if true

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
3.) NAK specifically mentioned to Lindy that we need to be a better conditioned team. I think Lafferty did too.
4.) NAK, Lafferty and Zucker all mentioned that we needed more physicality and grit in the lineup.
5.) I think KA used the term "identity" about 20 times when discussing free agents.
6.) Dahlin loved the Lafferty get....texted KA that he's a PITA to play against
Ruff looks like he's about to open the biggest present under the Christmas tree at about the 26:54 mark when talking about Lafferty's comments - accountability and everyone takes a piece of someone in Vancouver, they all do it. I don't know if he consulted a physician, but that smirk may have lasted more than three hours.

Also cool to hear how hard they are stressing fitness and being prepared. Hope the holdovers are working on it since some of the new guys are certainly going to bring that. NAK in particular made a point of it.
Definitely seems like a very good mentality shift, and something that will have more emotional momentum than what we've gotten in the past from the veteran additions like EJ, Eakin, Lyubushkin.

It's certainly speculation, but while I respect guys like Okposo, girgs leading by example in some of the harder areas of the game, I don't get the impression they were really holding guys accountable. NAK telling Lindy they need to be conditioned better, and Lafferty making it a point to say even top guys played with an element of physicality in VAN, makes me think guys won't stand by and watch their teammates not play the way they should.

Hopefully guys like Peterka, Byram, Power, and McCleod find some pressure to add a little more willingness for contact, insulated by these other guys

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I am just glad they got Beck for the 2nd and that trading down from 14 to 17 didnt happen.
I wonder what their intention was of trading down from 11 to 14 well before the draft.
Probably a different target/trade that didn't materialize.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Definitely seems like a very good mentality shift, and something that will have more emotional momentum than what we've gotten in the past from the veteran additions like EJ, Eakin, Lyubushkin.

It's certainly speculation, but while I respect guys like Okposo, girgs leading by example in some of the harder areas of the game, I don't get the impression they were really holding guys accountable. NAK telling Lindy they need to be conditioned better, and Lafferty making it a point to say even top guys played with an element of physicality in VAN, makes me think guys won't stand by and watch their teammates not play the way they should.

Hopefully guys like Peterka, Byram, Power, and McCleod find some pressure to add a little more willingness for contact, insulated by these other guys

Tocchet's thing was getting everyone to buy in to standing together and everyone being involved, even if it's just a bump. They got that and it limited ice for teams - their forecheck was so layered and constant in Vancouver. I hope that can be something Buffalo aspires to be this year.

And it seems like Ruff's comment was that they will be establishing that in games right from the get go. It wouldn't surprise me if that line of new arrivals gets game starts and the order to finish everyone to draw the whole team into the battle (and the fans at home too).

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Tocchet's thing was getting everyone to buy in to standing together and everyone being involved, even if it's just a bump. They got that and it limited ice for teams - their forecheck was so layered and constant in Vancouver. I hope that can be something Buffalo aspires to be this year.

And it seems like Ruff's comment was that they will be establishing that in games right from the get go. It wouldn't surprise me if that line of new arrivals gets game starts and the order to finish everyone to draw the whole team into the battle (and the fans at home too).
Best case scenario is that line has some success, maybe a quick goal in one of the first games. They get the support and energy of the crowd, Lindy leans on them to start games, and then lines 1-3 are begging Lindy for a shot to prove they can do it too.

First few games are going to be tough though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Best case scenario is that line has some success, maybe a quick goal in one of the first games. They get the support and energy of the crowd, Lindy leans on them to start games, and then lines 1-3 are begging Lindy for a shot to prove they can do it too.

First few games are going to be tough though.

That line isn't even going to be about scoring, it's going to be about making the glass rattle and boards shake. That will get both the fans into it and out of their smart phones or whatever novel mom brought tonight and into cheering for the game. And it will get people pumped on the bench right from the get go.

They have over a decade of disappointment to chip away at. They can do that by being consistent in their effort and show up. The last of us who watch them have put our time and money into being there for them, they can at least do the same for us finally.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
That line isn't even going to be about scoring, it's going to be about making the glass rattle and boards shake. That will get both the fans into it and out of their smart phones or whatever novel mom brought tonight and into cheering for the game. And it will get people pumped on the bench right from the get go.

They have over a decade of disappointment to chip away at. They can do that by being consistent in their effort and show up. The last of us who watch them have put our time and money into being there for them, they can at least do the same for us finally.
but it makes the buy-in happen quicker if do score is my point.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The Adams stuff was cringey but some of it was good. He's an awkward dude and you can tell a big part of his job is making the owner look good -- and also make the team look like an attractive, special place to play, which is probably important because it's not that right now.

I could watch Forton and Ruff dryly talk about their jobs for 3 hours and I'd love it.

The draft stuff was kinda boring (except for the Forton soundbites) but I loved all of the free agent stuff. That really felt like a view into the side that we never get to see, which I really appreciated.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I remain intrigued by who they had as their two first round grades available to start day two. It is cut to sort of imply Kleber but I could see them being high on Chernyshov based on some of their Russian scout’s work run through Ventura’s models. But we may never actually find out.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I remain intrigued by who they had as their two first round grades available to start day two. It is cut to sort of imply Kleber but I could see them being high on Chernyshov based on some of their Russian scout’s work run through Ventura’s models. But we may never actually find out.
They also said three guys in their top 10 who'd they'd assume would fall to 11, with a 95% chance one or two of them would make it to 14. Wish we could've gotten some of those names.

Listening to Forton, is sounds like his reason for optimism at 14 is that a few players were jumping up on everyone else's list, making more of Buffalo's top players available later. I'm guessing they are Senneke and Iginla, who Buffalo may not have had in their top 10, if I'm correct there.

I bet the two guys they were hoping for were Catton and our pick. Adams wanted a center.

Reactions: Jacob582

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
I really don't think Kleber was one. Forton is always so forthright in the post draft press conference, you can just about guarantee he would have mentioned they had a first round grade on Kleber

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They also said three guys in their top 10 who'd they'd assume would fall to 11, with a 95% chance one or two of them would make it to 14. Wish we could've gotten some of those names.

Listening to Forton, is sounds like his reason for optimism at 14 is that a few players were jumping up on everyone else's list, making more of Buffalo's top players available later. I'm guessing they are Senneke and Iginla, who Buffalo may not have had in their top 10, if I'm correct there.

I bet the two guys they were hoping for were Catton and our pick. Adams wanted a center.

Also curious about the idea of moving back to 17 to still get someone they wanted. I don't know if that's still Helenius there.

I'd love to have heard their reaction to Sennecke at 3OA too - not for comedy value but curious if he was someone they wanted or not.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I really don't think Kleber was one. Forton is always so forthright in the post draft press conference, you can just about guarantee he would have mentioned they had a first round grade on Kleber

Good point. I'm kinda stuck on Chernyshov. Not sure on who else though.

I like the Kleber pick. Mobility and size in a RD means there is at least some interesting floor there. I'm really intrigued by him being Buium's partner at the Summer Showcase - that's sort of what I envision with one of their mobile left-shot guys down the line.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don’t know who they had the second grade on (Chernyshov had to be one) but I also don’t see anyone who went between Chernyshov and Kleber that I like a lot more as a fit for their pool than Kleber.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I'm not sure Forton says they had a first round grades on two players at the start of the 2nd round @Chainshot I think he says they would of been thrilled about to get 2 players still left at 42 ? As for who the other player than Kleber was perhaps @Old Navy Goat might have some thoughts on that ?

I'm not sure why we do not believe Forton saying Kleber was one of them from the chatter around the table Adams is saying this is really exciting and Forton says Tristan, KD, really good job.

Last edited:

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I'm not sure Forton says they had a first round grades on two players at the start of the 2nd round @Chainshot I think he says they would of been thrilled about to get 2 players still left at 42 ? As for the other player than Kleber was perhaps @Old Navy Goat might have some thoughts on that ?

I'm not sure why we do not believe Forton saying Kleber was one of them from the chatter around the table they Adams is saying this is really exciting and Forton says Tristan, KD, really good job.
If I were to hazard a guess it stems from when Kleber said he saw himself going in the 2nd round, and Forton mentioned how it was refreshing for someone to be honest about themselves.

As for the 1st round talent, I think it would have been Chernyshov who was projected late teens to early 20s, the other was either Elick or Basha as scouting services had them going late 1st.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Good point. I'm kinda stuck on Chernyshov. Not sure on who else though.

I like the Kleber pick. Mobility and size in a RD means there is at least some interesting floor there. I'm really intrigued by him being Buium's partner at the Summer Showcase - that's sort of what I envision with one of their mobile left-shot guys down the line.

I am guessing you aren't the only one that likes the Kleber pick.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Boy, I've just had enough of Kevin Adams. He is just hallow talking point after hallow talking point. No wonder this team has been so directionless.

Reactions: JLewyB

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

I am guessing you aren't the only one that likes the Kleber pick.

That's right next to where my wife and I were sitting and always sit.

This draft was the second time I was a bit disappointed we didn't pick a Hutson. But watching the game yesterday in person, Hutson did a LOT but he also let a Finn just walk in front and score with zero effort to slow him down. Kleber was not as flashy but had enough offense to run PP2 from the backend and also really rattle people. Loved the 10 minute misconduct at the end. Didn't see him on the ice for a goal against that I can remember.

Having Dahlin, Power, and Byram, the Sabres need Kleber more than Hutson.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00