Confirmed with Link: Sabres: Embedded on the 2024 Draft and the opening of Free Agency drops 7/30/2024 @ 7pm

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
The preview is up now on the link. Liking it!

Forton "I was 99% confident we would get the same player at 14 we would of taken at 11", "How do you not bet on this guy", "I think we need to go up for Ziemer, its a big drop off for our next name"

Helenius "I am center" :D

KA "I think this is the ideal spot for Zucker", "There is going to be accountability, I promise you that"

Lindy "We need to set the tone early"

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
That Forton quote reinforces the only thought I had on the trade down when it happened…they didn’t care when the D went as long as they went in front of them. People can pine over Buium for the rest of time it doesn’t change the fact that they weren’t taking him at 11 either. Their shortlist was forwards. The only thing they knew for sure trading down was the “top 6” D we’re going to go ahead of that pick. It didn’t matter who fell to where or what order they went…they were counting on them going and weren’t taking them. If they were…you wait until 11 to trade it because a guy or guys could have been there. And I’d bet their safety was MBN and then Helenius fell whether they expected it or not.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
That Forton quote reinforces the only thought I had on the trade down when it happened…they didn’t care when the D went as long as they went in front of them. People can pine over Buium for the rest of time it doesn’t change the fact that they weren’t taking him at 11 either. Their shortlist was forwards. The only thing they knew for sure trading down was the “top 6” D we’re going to go ahead of that pick. It didn’t matter who fell to where or what order they went…they were counting on them going and weren’t taking them. If they were…you wait until 11 to trade it because a guy or guys could have been there. And I’d bet their safety was MBN and then Helenius fell whether they expected it or not.

It’s almost like whatever analytics they use, there’s a prediction that comes out with who goes where, and they feel confident enough in that to do bold trades.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
It's Alive!

Bullet points:

-Can't wait for the Helenius "I am Center" 26 T shirts
-They were talking to Washington about moving down to 17 from 14 for Malenstyn
-KA talked to Briere and Jackson about moving down in the 2nd for 42/43(traded)
-There were other trade opportunities but In Malestyn KA liked that they have a player that can be with them longer than a year
-Forton-there were two players left on the Sabres board at the end of round 1 they would love to have at 42, Kleber was one. Guesses on who the other was ?
-Kleber knew he was going 2nd round
-Near pick 66 a player goes and Forton says now we have a big Problem, if Ziemer goes, the next player after him is way down on our list, then asks KA if he's ok moving up for Ziemer.
-One Sabres guy calls Ziemer like Captain America, KA calls him a impressive kid
-KA-I think this is the ideal spot for Zucker,
There is going to be accountability, I promise you that
-Lindy, I will be looking forward to it happening because we need to set the tone early

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
My thoughts on the 30 min video:

1.) We certainly had the chance to trade down again to 17, but to do that Adams didn't want a pick...he wanted Malenstyn. That was a no-go for the Caps. And I'm glad. Walking out with Helenius/Kleber/Malenstyn certainly seems like a win compared to #17/Malenstyn/Kleber
2.) We REALLY wanted Ziemer, looked like KA was talking trade up for a good number of picks.....if editing is to be believed, the conversations really picked up around pick 66.
3.) NAK specifically mentioned to Lindy that we need to be a better conditioned team. I think Lafferty did too.
4.) NAK, Lafferty and Zucker all mentioned that we needed more physicality and grit in the lineup.
5.) I think KA used the term "identity" about 20 times when discussing free agents.
6.) Dahlin loved the Lafferty get....texted KA that he's a PITA to play against

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I counted 3. (Was, Ph, Edm) but there could of been others they edited out.
Not to mention the deal we made with San Jose. And the deal we made with Colorado. And the actual deal we made with Washington. And the deal we made with Winnipeg. And the eventual deal we made with Edmonton.

Suffice to say that Petey was, once again, talking out his ass

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ruff looks like he's about to open the biggest present under the Christmas tree at about the 26:54 mark when talking about Lafferty's comments - accountability and everyone takes a piece of someone in Vancouver, they all do it. I don't know if he consulted a physician, but that smirk may have lasted more than three hours.

Also cool to hear how hard they are stressing fitness and being prepared. Hope the holdovers are working on it since some of the new guys are certainly going to bring that. NAK in particular made a point of it.

Last edited:

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Ruff looks like he's about to open the biggest present under the Christmas tree at about the 26:54 mark when talking about Lafferty's comments - accountability and everyone takes a piece of someone in Vancouver, they all do it. I don't know if he consult a physician, but that smirk may have lasted more than three hours.

Also cool to hear how hard they are stressing fitness and being prepared. Hope the holdovers are working on it since some of the new guys are certainly going to bring that. NAK in particular made a point of it.
Hopefully this means no more club med practices, and with all the new voices coming into the locker room we start seeing consistent effort every game.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Hopefully this means no more club med practices, and with all the new voices coming into the locker room we start seeing consistent effort every game.
also means they blame team conditioning on the ups and downs and inability to put together any kind of winning steak and playoff run which is probably at least part of it along with coaching, etc

I loved when Adams was talking to his team after first round and before dinner and the Chef with funny hat just sitting in the background while Adams talked.

You know the Chef got on reddit and was posting Sabres rumors
LOL
I wonder if they made him sign a NDA

Reactions: Jacob582

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Ruff looks like he's about to open the biggest present under the Christmas tree at about the 26:54 mark when talking about Lafferty's comments - accountability and everyone takes a piece of someone in Vancouver, they all do it. I don't know if he consulted a physician, but that smirk may have lasted more than three hours.

That's a nice change of tune compared to what we heard at locker-room cleanout day. It was very frustrating hearing players basically say they didn't put the effort in during the offseason, and it showed during preseason and when the season started.

Also, as I said in the 'will the sabres make the playoffs' thread- I don't think we need Cozens, Thompson, Tuch, etc...to come close to their point totals in 2022-2023 to make the playoffs. The team just needs to buy in to Ruff's comments and system. If that happens, and UPL plays solid, then they can sneak into a WC spot. They have the bottom six that can pull them into games physically. Now the young players and 'core' players need to buy into the identity Ruff is trying to build. Less talented teams than the Sabres have made the playoffs behind a solid defensive system and good goaltending. Why not us?!

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
It really doesn't though

Forton says that leading up to the draft, 2 players they liked seemed more likely to go top 10.

Kevyn says "Everybody likes these players. But there was, you know more of a comfort of us at 14 getting this similar group of players and also picking up an asset that we could potentially be using to make a trade." which implies they traded a chance for a higher tier player for a 2nd tier guy + another asset, not that they thought tier 1 would be there at 14.

The fact that Kevyn seemed willing to do 14 for 17+malenstyn, doesn't really support the narrative that Helenius or MBN were their top guys at 11, especially given that MBN went with the next pick, and not remotely a surprise with all the speculation linking him to Detroit. I mean even watching the reaction, I think they were happy to get him, but it was not the nearly the same reaction as some of the other drafts where you could see they really wanted someone like Benson, Peterka, Wahlberg, kulich

They very well could have been hoping for Dickinson or Buium at 11 and just guessed wrong on their potential availability.

This comment by Kevyn to the staff after Round 1, basically screams I know you guys are mad we missed the opportunity to pick a certain player, but none of you thought he'd be available 2 days ago:

"And at the end of the day, we got an extra asset, we got a great player and we got someone that I think all of us now sitting here after round one is over you had said 48 hours ago we were going to have him we would have all been pretty excited. "

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I loved when Adams was talking to his team after first round and before dinner and the Chef with funny hat just sitting in the background while Adams talked.

You know the Chef got on reddit and was posting Sabres rumors
Wow. I was thinking the same exact thing when I watched.

Reactions: Beerz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad