GDT: Sabres @ Chicago 8 PM ET TV:MSG Radio:WGR550 - It Has To Get Better

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Sabres 2.86 goals per game. 0 power play goals. 3PP goals has Sabres at 3.3.

Dallas has 2.83 with 3 PP goals as reference (5-1).

This just in, Sabres 5v5 production is good and doing enough to win without PP goals.

Their PK has been a bigger drag than the PP.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Their 5 on 5 has been completely fine all year. Their special teams has been abysmal. This isn’t an argument, you’re just wrong.
Sabres 2.86 goals per game. 0 power play goals. 3PP goals has Sabres at 3.3.

Dallas has 2.83 with 3 PP goals as reference (5-1).

This just in, Sabres 5v5 production is good and doing enough to win without PP goals.

If by "fine" you mean middling, and currently on the wrong side of the playoff line, sure.

We're 17th in the league at 5v5 xGF%, 18th in GF%.

We're 19th in all situations xGF%, 24th in GF%.

Overall our goal tending has been poor to middling and our PP nonexistant. PK skaters have actually been playing well, but goal tending bad. The PK has almost been good enough to offset the bad PP in terms of xGF% as we only dropped 2 spots league wide from our 5v5 standing.

An average PP this season is scoring 19-20%. So if we had an average PP, we'd have 4 PP goals on the season so far. This would move our GF% ranking from 24th to 19th.

We've had some dominant periods at 5v5, especially against the Kings and Panthers, but we've also had some periods where we got dominated at 5v5, Devils, Penguins, Blackhawks.

Overall, we've looked mediocre and the stats say the same thing. Even with an average PP, we would have needed to get lucky on which games we scored those PP goals in to even have 1 more win on the season.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Kind of?

Game 1 -- 4-1 loss, 3-1 if you don't count ENG -- Zero PPGA.
Game 2 -- 3-1 loss. One PPGA. Not allowing the goal doesn't change the outcome significantly
Game 3 -- 3-1 loss, 2-1 if you don't count ENG. One PPGA, the game-winner -- obviously effects things.....but it was a 5-on-3 goal against.
Game 5 -- 6-5 OTloss. Two PPGA, One SHGA. Special teams KILLED us here.
Game 6 -- 6-4 loss. One PPGA. Doesn't change the outcome at all.

So.......really, our PK has really only cost us one game.....and we still got a point out of it. If you squint hard and assign the blame to the LA loss on the PK......that's still 3 losses that the PK really didn't affect the outcome of the game.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
If by "fine" you mean middling, and currently on the wrong side of the playoff line, sure.

Overall our goal tending has been poor to middling and our PP nonexistant. PK skaters have actually been playing well, but goal tending bad. The PK has almost been good enough to offset the bad PP in terms of xGF% as we only dropped 2 spots league wide from our 5v5 standing.

An average PP this season is scoring 19-20%. So if we had an average PP, we'd have 4 PP goals on the season so far. This would move our GF% ranking from 24th to 19th.

We've had some dominant periods at 5v5, especially against the Kings and Panthers, but we've also had some periods where we got dominated at 5v5, Devils, Penguins, Blackhawks.

Overall, we've looked mediocre and the stats say the same thing. Even with an average PP, we would have needed to get lucky on which games we scored those PP goals in to even have 1 more win on the season.
I said goals. 2.83 ES goals per game you take that and run for an entire season.
Kind of?

Game 1 -- 4-1 loss, 3-1 if you don't count ENG -- Zero PPGA.
Game 2 -- 3-1 loss. One PPGA. Not allowing the goal doesn't change the outcome significantly
Game 3 -- 3-1 loss, 2-1 if you don't count ENG. One PPGA, the game-winner -- obviously effects things.....but it was a 5-on-3 goal against.
Game 5 -- 6-5 OTloss. Two PPGA, One SHGA. Special teams KILLED us here.
Game 6 -- 6-4 loss. One PPGA. Doesn't change the outcome at all.

So.......really, our PK has really only cost us one game.....and we still got a point out of it. If you squint hard and assign the blame to the LA loss on the PK......that's still 3 losses that the PK really didn't affect the outcome of the game.
Think you are ignoring your own words and ignoring the situations and momentum from those goals. What I am seeing here is game 1 and no others were not impacted.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I said goals. 2.83 ES goals per game you take that and run for an entire season.

Think you are ignoring your own words and ignoring the situations and momentum from those goals. What I am seeing here is game 1 and no others were not impacted.
It’s 2.42 goal per game at 5v5 which is what the original post was referencing (5v5). Still in a good place. But ES is 5v5 + goalie pulled, other team goalie pulled, 4v4, 3v3, etc.

We have 17 goals at 5v5
We have 20 goals at ES (2 goals on an empty net + 1 with our goalie pulled)

You’re essentially trying to dismiss a different game state (PP) from mattering while referencing another stat that includes multiple game states. Ones that helped us get points/wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zman5778

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

Their flat out production at 5v5 right now is good. Will it come down a bit with shooting luck regression? Yeah. And that’s with the Cozens line being absolutely horrible.

But our PP will also improve. Can’t say how much and I don’t expect them to be higher than 20th this year at this rate. Right now I’m putting the Sabres at middling which was my point. They’re just fine right now even with their horrible special teams.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
It’s 2.42 goal per game at 5v5 which is what the original post was referencing (5v5). Still in a good place. But ES is 5v5 + goalie pulled, other team goalie pulled, 4v4, 3v3, etc.

We have 17 goals at 5v5
We have 20 goals at ES (2 goals on an empty net + 1 with our goalie pulled)

You’re essentially trying to dismiss a different game state (PP) from mattering while referencing another stat that includes multiple game states. Ones that helped us get points/wins.
21 total goals in 7 games. Not one is on the PP. that's 3 goals per game with PP at 0%.

3 Goals per game is excellent, regardless of how much stats say it was deserved. I never once said PP doesn't matter. They are CURRENTLY getting enough "non-PP" to win games without any PP help.

Powerplays go in slumps, you still need to win when they do.

This is a statement about their even strength production. This does not mean I think they can go 0-infinity this year on the pp. PP Matters. Didn't think I actually had to state that.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Yes, we're 8th overall in goals for/60 at ES, which is good. But you're leaving out the goals against, where we're 10th worst in the league. That puts us at 18th overall in GF% which is a slightly below average team. We're 23rd in GA/60 at ES, we're 26th in GA/60 on the PK.

Their flat out production at 5v5 right now is good. Will it come down a bit with shooting luck regression? Yeah. And that’s with the Cozens line being absolutely horrible.

But our PP will also improve. Can’t say how much and I don’t expect them to be higher than 20th this year at this rate. Right now I’m putting the Sabres at middling which was my point. They’re just fine right now even with their horrible special teams.
If you shift the goalposts to only their production and leave out the defensive side of things sure.

If we had a 20% PP so far we'd have 4 more goals on the season or 3.55 GF/60 in all situations, which would put us in 10th place league wide. We'd still have a GA/60 of 3.7 which is 25th place. 48.97% GF% would put us at 19th league wide. (we're currently 24th)

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Yes, we're 8th overall in goals for/60 at ES, which is good. But you're leaving out the goals against, where we're 10th worst in the league. That puts us at 18th overall in GF% which is a slightly below average team. We're 23rd in GA/60 at ES, we're 26th in GA/60 on the PK.

If you shift the goalposts to only their production and leave out the defensive side of things sure.

If we had a 20% PP so far we'd have 4 more goals on the season or 3.55 GF/60 in all situations, which would put us in 10th place league wide. We'd still have a GA/60 of 3.7 which is 25th place. 48.97% GF% would put us at 19th league wide. (we're currently 24th)
We were top 10 in all those stats before last game. Things swing too wildly game to game for you to be harping on that the way that you are lol.

They dominate 5v5 next game they’ll be back up high and it would be disingenuous for me to come back here and Sabres are excellent. Just like what you’re doing say they’ve been below average. All good tho.

Reactions: Aladyyn

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
xG is extremely noisy this early in the season. Corsi is by far the most telling metric in small samples like this
Corsi can also be misleading. We have one of the worst corsi to shot on goal conversion ratios in the league.

I think it's because we are struggling to get wide open/uncontested looks, and then when we do get wide open/uncontested looks we miss wide.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Yes, no arguments there. I was simply stating our ability to score outside of PP is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad