RyJo Contract Possibly Terminated - Cap Space?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It's obviously not the fact that Joey probably is hurting, it's the fact that he didn't declare that it was too bad to play with until he cleared waivers and was looking at playing in the AHL, and the fact that he's not getting his injury addressed in a timely fashion.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
It's obviously not the fact that Joey probably is hurting, it's the fact that he didn't declare that it was too bad to play with until he cleared waivers and was looking at playing in the AHL, and the fact that he's not getting his injury addressed in a timely fashion.
This is where I stand with my guess. He hasn't been even close to 100% for quite some time, but it hasn't been a problem when you're playing for the SC.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
It seems to me it wouldn’t be that tough to get a diagnosis, some kind of “doctor’s note” concerning the injury, and to have provided that to the Flyers? I can see how the Flyers might have questions if they haven’t seen any kind of documentation at all. :dunno:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It seems to me it wouldn’t be that tough to get a diagnosis, some kind of “doctor’s note” concerning the injury, and to have provided that to the Flyers? I can see how the Flyers might have questions if they haven’t seen any kind of documentation at all. :dunno:
Do players not have to report injuries or get a physical before a trade? Just seems like something Philly should have been aware of before the trade. The timing of this is also weird though. Why would Philly have not tried to terminate him earlier in the offseason unless something just suddenly changed?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Do players not have to report injuries or get a physical before a trade? Just seems like something Philly should have been aware of before the trade. The timing of this is also weird though. Why would Philly have not tried to terminate him earlier in the offseason unless something just suddenly changed?
I am pretty sure that in pro football and baseball, the various players in a trade have to pass a physical before the trade is 100% official. You rarely hear about a trade being rescinded, but it happens.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
That's why the speculation is that footage of him at his wedding acting very uninjured is what precipitated this

Reactions: Softball99

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I am pretty sure that in pro football and baseball, the various players in a trade have to pass a physical before the trade is 100% official. You rarely hear about a trade being rescinded, but it happens.
The problem is chronic painful muscle/soft tissue injuries won't necessarily show up on a physical. If there is an issue with bones or a joint that should show up on MRI, but who knows what his claimed injury actually is.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That's why the speculation is that footage of him at his wedding acting very uninjured is what precipitated this
Are Flyers really arguing that if you can dance at a wedding then you are able to play professional hockey? Because I remember watching my aging parents dance at my wedding, and I know they would have been shocked to learn that meant they passed their physical and are now expected to report to Lehigh Valley for AHL camp.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Are Flyers really arguing that if you can dance at a wedding then you are able to play professional hockey? Because I remember watching my aging parents dance at my wedding, and I know they would have been shocked to learn that meant they passed their physical and are now expected to report to Lehigh Valley for AHL camp.
The claim on the main boards is that he was lifting his bride and doing things that were not compatible with the injury he was claiming.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The claim on the main boards is that he was lifting his bride and doing things that were not compatible with the injury he was claiming.
But that is kinda my point. Being able to dance or even lift your bride on arguably the biggest day of your life isn’t as physically taxing as playing professional hockey, and if he spent months getting healthy enough to enjoy his wedding I don't see that as legitimate proof that his body is healthy enough to play pro hockey.

Last edited:

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
If that is actually what the Flyers are using (I've seen no evidence of this beyond message board speculation) that would be absolutely ridiculous and they'd deserve to lose the case

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Tend to agree, if they are trying to base a case off of him doing something at a wedding they are likely to lose that case. This isn't a guy claiming Workmans comp and then getting caught roofing houses.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
But that is kinda my point. Being able to dance or even lift your bride on arguably the biggest day of your life isn’t as physically taxing as playing professional hockey, and if he spent months getting healthy enough to enjoy his wedding I don't see that as legitimate proof that his body is healthy enough to play pro hockey.
I'm not saying I agree I'm just saying that's what is being speculated. I would agree that if that is all they have they will probably lose

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, if the injury was known about at the time of the trade, that could have been a problem. But according to sources at the time, neither Philly nor Colorado knew about it. Colorado was happy to use the Cap space for Walker and Mittelstadt. Colorado gave up a 1st to help facilitate it. So there was plenty of motivation on both sides to let the trade go through. Then Philly immediately waived Johansen. and assigned him to the AHL when he cleared. Which again, you couldn't do if he was injured. Then he didn't report to their AHL team claiming injury.

So it's a suspicious timeline, and both Colorado and Philly seemed to benefit from pleading ignorance to the injury at the time. The Flyers are a hair over the Cap right now with Johansen included, however. So it would be nice to liquidate him without having to use LTIR. I guess especially if they can't really find a diagnosed injury to justify using LTIR???

I don't know, I suspect everybody is trying to dodge the rulebook here, both the team and Johansen who doesn't want to play in the AHL but still wants his money. But I guess we'll see what the actual evidence is when it goes through whatever the appeal process is. :dunno:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The problem is chronic painful muscle/soft tissue injuries won't necessarily show up on a physical. If there is an issue with bones or a joint that should show up on MRI, but who knows what his claimed injury actually is.
Each player on the exit does a physical or gets scans to determine their health status. This determines whether they are or are not eligible for a buyout.

If he was deemed injured then he was not eligible for a buyout.

Wouldn’t the next milestone then be at camp to determine his health status? I think that was the next one but now he is due for surgery? All very odd…. IMO he should have needed a checkup or evaluation from the flyers staff or an agreed upon third party to evaluate him before he could get surgery.

Also the flyers have Ellis on ltir so not sure what their desire is to terminate RJ deal. Would they really be able to absorb all elc bonuses this season with Ellis on ltir?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad