RyJo Contract Possibly Terminated - Cap Space?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
One is alot cheaper though. I think Pärssinen has the better board game as well. Glass was more of a top 6 or bust while Pärssinen could probably fit in the bottom 6 in a defensive role or Sissons replacement down the road.
Yeah I'm totally fine to move on from Glass and I personally would have given up on him in the middle of last season, but Parsinnen was similarly pretty bad last year. I'm perfectly fine to put a good amount of that blame on the coaches struggling to define his role, but he also just didn't do himself any favors.

I also think he's pretty rapidly being overtaken by Svechkov for the next center up role too. I expect that now that Parsinnen needs to hit waivers that he may get some of the same benefits in that respect that Glass got last year though.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
It is not classless at all lol. You don’t know the meaning clearly. As a fan you can cheer and boo whoever you’d like bud. You look classless trying to call me classless 😂😂😂
Anyways I don’t want to argue. Johansen is a lazy player that gives minimal effort once he got paid except for one playoffs. Whoopdee.
No wonder nobody wants him on their team since we had to buy him out from his first like player contract that played like a middle 6 player. The dude had over 70 points with Columbus then never repeated that for us once because he got paid for 8 years. He’s a bum.

Glass is a bum too 😂😂😂
You want to go there, let's go. As a player, there is a lot of debate as to whether or not Joey gave the effort we all thought he should be giving. Guys his size often look lumbering because they're bigger and awkward. If he was so lazy and such a bum, he wouldn't have been put on the PK.

I have no problem with you wanting to call him a bum because of is play. What I'm referring to is calling a guy a bum who just had his contract terminated and may never play the game again. It's classless to name call someone who may have just lost everything. Yeah, he walked away with $64 million for his troubles but all things being equal, he was a good guy in the community and gave his all to the team, even though it didn't appear that way to you.

Go ahead and keep name calling him. Feel free to do so. It's your life and reputation.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
With the way this organization handles players that are waiver-exempt, I highly doubt that.
If you're good enough to play in the NHL, you find a way to stick, regardless of how the org treats its players. We tend to think the org overcooks guys. Maybe the guys we draft and develop aren't that good. We want to think the best of all of them but they have to put in the work, they have to make themselves a part of the lineup night in and night out. Does waivers play into this, possibly but I think their results play a bigger part.

Reactions: 101st_fan

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Players like Joey and Getzlaf seems to be perceived lazy because they don't have the same sort of hustle in their skating as some other players do. I think his defensive game is vastly underrated overall. I'm not saying he wasn't lazy. I don't really know that. Sometimes players just don't look engaged while they could be executing the gameplan precisely. I don't know if I can give a proper example really, but I guess something like covering an area or passing lane instead of doubling on puck carrier may be exactly what's asked of him, but may seem like he's just drifting.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
You want to go there, let's go. As a player, there is a lot of debate as to whether or not Joey gave the effort we all thought he should be giving. Guys his size often look lumbering because they're bigger and awkward. If he was so lazy and such a bum, he wouldn't have been put on the PK.

I have no problem with you wanting to call him a bum because of is play. What I'm referring to is calling a guy a bum who just had his contract terminated and may never play the game again. It's classless to name call someone who may have just lost everything. Yeah, he walked away with $64 million for his troubles but all things being equal, he was a good guy in the community and gave his all to the team, even though it didn't appear that way to you.

Go ahead and keep name calling him. Feel free to do so. It's your life and reputation.
I was obviously calling him a bum because of his play. Why else would I called him a bum? You just said you have no issue with that so maybe have a little “class” before you call someone out. Some of you guys like to shoot first and ask questions second. Ridiculous. Now you just look silly.
Dude was capable of putting up 70 plus points on a not so great team but came to Nashville to play with some really good players but never got 70 points ever again once he got his big payday. Lazy.
I know big guys can look lazy but the stats speak for themselves. We didn’t trade Seth for a penalty killer and pay him $64 million to do so. He was brought here to be our number one centre. Which he failed of epic proportions. But he proved he had the talent previously. So yeah he’s a bum because of his play.

“It’s my life and reputation” lol

Cheers dude

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Difference between slow and lazy. Joey was definitely the former for much of his career. The latter? I dunno. Big guys frequently give that impression because they need less strides to move around the ice, whereas short guys take all these kicks and look very energetic comparatively.

Now whatever happened in Colorado and then with Philly? That's another matter.

Either way, if guy was a failure I wish I could fail that well.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Difference between slow and lazy. Joey was definitely the former for much of his career. The latter? I dunno. Big guys frequently give that impression because they need less strides to move around the ice, whereas short guys take all these kicks and look very energetic comparatively.

Now whatever happened in Colorado and then with Philly? That's another matter.

Either way, if guy was a failure I wish I could fail that well.
The thing is once he got that fat payday he never achieved numbers he was more than capable of ever again and he got over 70 at such a young age too. He was paid and just figured he was set. Kicked his feet up.
That’s what scares me when long term contracts. Gotta hope the player will continue to produce at that rate. Joey could have gotten even better. No reason he couldn’t get over 80 points on a Preds team when he crushed 70 on the jackets.

Thank goodness Josi and Forsberg have that drive to give their best always. Hoping Saros does now as well…

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
The thing is once he got that fat payday he never achieved numbers he was more than capable of ever again and he got over 70 at such a young age too. He was paid and just figured he was set. Kicked his feet up.
That’s what scares me when long term contracts. Gotta hope the player will continue to produce at that rate. Joey could have gotten even better. No reason he couldn’t get over 80 points on a Preds team when he crushed 70 on the jackets.

Thank goodness Josi and Forsberg have that drive to give their best always. Hoping Saros does now as well…
His 70+ points season was 0.87 PPG, which was indeed his best season by PPG.
He scored 0.8 PPG twice in 18-19 and 21-22.
That's not too far.

have you considered that his 70+ season was an outlier? Maybe he overachieved that season and set an unrealistic expectation? Have you considered that you're basing your hate on an anomaly? He scored 63 in 82 the year before and only 26 in 38 (56 point pace) before being traded to Nashville. You're only comparing to his highest totals out of two and half seasons.

Was Rick DiPietro a lazy bum aswell?

Thomas Vanek scored 43 goals in 06-07. What a bum for not repeating that ever again during his seven year deal. Or after that.

Selanne scored 76 goals and 132 points in his rookie season. He couldn't even reach 100 more than twice and only barely after that LOL what a lazy bum.

I don't like how Joey's production took a dive and I feel like he should have been able to score more. He should have been shooting more. I just find your straightforward conclusion a bit...narrowminded.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
His 70+ points season was 0.87 PPG, which was indeed his best season by PPG.
He scored 0.8 PPG twice in 18-19 and 21-22.
That's not too far.

have you considered that his 70+ season was an outlier? Maybe he overachieved that season and set an unrealistic expectation? Have you considered that you're basing your hate on an anomaly? He scored 63 in 82 the year before and only 26 in 38 (56 point pace) before being traded to Nashville. You're only comparing to his highest totals out of two and half seasons.

Was Rick DiPietro a lazy bum aswell?

Thomas Vanek scored 43 goals in 06-07. What a bum for not repeating that ever again during his seven year deal. Or after that.

Selanne scored 76 goals and 132 points in his rookie season. He couldn't even reach 100 more than twice and only barely after that LOL what a lazy bum.

I don't like how Joey's production took a dive and I feel like he should have been able to score more. He should have been shooting more. I just find your straightforward conclusion a bit...narrowminded.
He was getting better and better each season. We acquired him as a very young player who was trending upwards. He was also a very high pick so he oozed talent and was well on his way to becoming a top line centre. He just kind of took a step back once he signed that big deal and never came back to that level. I feel if we signed him to maybe a 2-3 year deal it would have been different. He came here, got monster deal and regressed.
I don’t care if you like him or think he gave a valiant effort in Nashville. I don’t. We can compare apples to oranges all day long that doesn’t solve a thing. We can all have our opinions. Glenginer called me out for saying he’s a bum and I stand by that. As glen also said he understands if I was saying it because of his play which he’s now not replying about anymore for looking foolish for calling me out and calling me classless.

I do not think Johansen gave as much effort as he did before he signed that deal. That’s my opinion. You’re entitled to yours. I personally feel if we didn’t get him we would have pursued another top line centre and maybe won a cup because he played like a number one centre he showed when we traded for him. But that’s unknown and also my opinion.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
1724338932064.png

Here's Johansen's 5v5 scoring rates FWIW. It's not clear to me that his numbers correlate with the size of his contract.

As an aside, the big thing that always killed me about Johansen is that he just stopped shooting as much when he got here for some reason and that was reflected in his goal totals. Based on his shooting percentage if he'd kept shooting more for the Preds he'd add 6-7 goals a season.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
He was getting better and better each season. We acquired him as a very young player who was trending upwards. He was also a very high pick so he oozed talent and was well on his way to becoming a top line centre. He just kind of took a step back once he signed that big deal and never came back to that level. I feel if we signed him to maybe a 2-3 year deal it would have been different. He came here, got monster deal and regressed.
I don’t care if you like him or think he gave a valiant effort in Nashville. I don’t. We can compare apples to oranges all day long that doesn’t solve a thing. We can all have our opinions. Glenginer called me out for saying he’s a bum and I stand by that. As glen also said he understands if I was saying it because of his play which he’s now not replying about anymore for looking foolish for calling me out and calling me classless.

I do not think Johansen gave as much effort as he did before he signed that deal. That’s my opinion. You’re entitled to yours. I personally feel if we didn’t get him we would have pursued another top line centre and maybe won a cup because he played like a number one centre he showed when we traded for him. But that’s unknown and also my opinion.
If you look at Joey's points totals (contract season in yellow highlight) he had 0.30 (rookie season), 0.77, 0.87, 0.75 and 0.74 PPG. He had some better seasons and some worse compared to his contacr year. But leading to his eight year deal his point total were not continuously improving. I don't know if his play was. I don't know if I catched any CBJ games back then.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but discussing and challenging them never hurts.

Attachments

• Joey points.png
    Joey points.png
    123.1 KB · Views: 3

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
If you look at Joey's points totals (contract season in yellow highlight) he had 0.30 (rookie season), 0.77, 0.87, 0.75 and 0.74 PPG. He had some better seasons and some worse compared to his contacr year. But leading to his eight year deal his point total were not continuously improving. I don't know if his play was. I don't know if I catched any CBJ games back then.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but discussing and challenging them never hurts.
I agree discussing and challenging is always in good fun and is welcomed. As fans we should always be able to do so. I just don’t appreciate glengineer calling me classless for expressing my opinion. But otherwise yes I agree. I will always express my opinion as I encourage us all to. Maybe our minds can change even after hearing others.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I agree discussing and challenging is always in good fun and is welcomed. As fans we should always be able to do so. I just don’t appreciate glengineer calling me classless for expressing my opinion. But otherwise yes I agree. I will always express my opinion as I encourage us all to. Maybe our minds can change even after hearing others.
Whatever you say ya bum

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
So how long does this process usually take?
Waivers are good for 10 games or 30 consecutive days on a roster ... so at a minimum the Flyers have up until around the start of camp to terminate the contract before having to put Johansen through waivers again. Assuming that they go through with the termination, the player then has 60 days to file a grievance.

The front offices and their lawyers have time to do their thing before the NHLPA and its lawyers then respond.

Reactions: maplepred

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's more the way in which you chose to do it, the way you say something does matter.

You want to know what else happened the same offseason he signed that contract? He just had his leg cut open during the playoffs so he didn't lose that leg.

It's easy to remember the points, just make sure you do the rest of the work and remember the major injuries that went along with it.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Both of Johansen's leg injuries were the "no joke" variety. I know he made full recoveries according to the doctors but as anyone with those types of injuries knows, a "full recovery" isn't always quite so simple, not to mention losing training time. It's easy for me to see how a guy who already was big and not a burner would be seen as lazy when he slows down due to physical issues.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Both of Johansen's leg injuries were the "no joke" variety. I know he made full recoveries according to the doctors but as anyone with those types of injuries knows, a "full recovery" isn't always quite so simple, not to mention losing training time. It's easy for me to see how a guy who already was big and not a burner would be seen as lazy when he slows down due to physical issues.
Well and as a fan when you are in the thick of it sometimes its hard to see the forest for the trees.

One thing we will never know is just exactly what impact that leg had on him, and not just from a physical standpoint, there is mental one that factors into that as well. They weren't going to tell us about any longer term weakness in that leg, and they sure wouldn't have said anything about him being wary to really get dirty after that because he was afraid it would happen again.

Honestly his career and Ellis' are pretty much an exact copy. Both guys played well in that 2017 run, both guys got their contracts, and then both guys got accused of not playing the right way. We know just from watching that Ellis spent those next couple of years running from being injured. Wouldn't shock me at all that RyJo was doing the same thing, he just had a bit more frame to work with. Oddly enough both had their careers end early because of one odd injury.

Reactions: Gh24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad