Proposal: Ryan Strome + Geo both retained to Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rangers need to move Strome regardless of Krav situation, as they are totally fine this yr but need to get ahead of the curve for extending Fox long term = best long term cap move and also need to have $ available for LaF + Kakko. Again, no worries now, plenty of time, but why wait til last min.

Also want to replace Geo w/cheaper = Huska while Wall gets 1st line mins in the A this yr
Happy to move Kinkaid while we are at it.

Are looking for futures.

Leafs are overall okay, but as was seen, could use depth in net.
Strome is from TOR and grew up a Leafs fan. He wants to get paid, but makes sense he'd give TOR a sweetheart deal at 5-5.25 x 4. Tavares is only 3 yrs older than Strome, but he's already 31, So 4 yrs at a nice price makes sense.

Rangers can retain half of Strome's 4.5 expiring.

So what package works?

TOR 2022 1st + 2023 2nd + 2024 4th + cap dump Kerfoot 3.5 x 2 full pop
for
expiring Strome at half = 2.25 + Geo 2.425 expiring at half = 1.212.5 which total is a hair under 3.5

valuation: upcoming late 1st for Strome, following season 2nd for Geo, and the 4th to recognize NY is staggering return and taking on extra yr of unwanted Kerfoot

thoughts?

Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I don’t see why NYR trade Strome at all and I’m not even a huge fan of his. Georgiev could be had for a replacement backup like Campbell+a pick but Strome has too much chemistry with Panarin to trade

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
So the Leafs who are already super tight to the cap are now going to carry three goalies when they are all healthy?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don’t see why NYR trade Strome at all and I’m not even a huge fan of his. Georgiev could be had for a replacement backup like Campbell+a pick but Strome has too much chemistry with Panarin to trade

As demonstrated last yr when breadman had to go on hiatus, Strome plays well with others.

The fact is we can't afford Strome long term.
He wants to get paid.
He will get more than current 4.5

We need a roster spot for younger guys [Krav initially, then Barron] so we can create cap which is needed for Fox and then LaF + Kakko.

This can't be avoided.
Makes no sense to do a Tavares and he walks for nothing.

We should avoid another Buch scenario where we waited to deal him, where if we did so during last season, we would have gotten more

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I don’t see how this makes any sense for NYR as they sit right now.

Georgiev? Sure, they can have him for a mid round pick if they’re so inclined.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So the Leafs who are already super tight to the cap are now going to carry three goalies when they are all healthy?

They can likely flip 1 if that makes sense.
But as evidenced w/Mrazek out tonight, depth may make sense if a guy like Geo is available at half.

Or if you want, I'll peddle Geo elsewhere and give back the 2nd. If you want Kinkaid for free, he's yours.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don’t see how this makes any sense for NYR as they sit right now.

Georgiev? Sure, they can have him for a mid round pick if they’re so inclined.

Strome is not a keeper.
That is financial reality.
Why wait when we need a slot now. and we get more in return by dealing him now?

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Your a win now team. Owner and offseason says so. So no reason to trade your second line center

Agreed - Who also happens to have excellent chemistry with the teams offensive star. It’s never happening. The Rangers aren’t playing the roll of TML farm team to have a perpetual rebuild.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I disagree w/you guys.

Fox, LaF and Kakko are all far more pivotal to this team going forward than Strome.
This is something ignored so far.

Win now does not overcome reality of hard cap
however, getting ahead of it helps

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Leafs aren't giving up a first.

NYR won't retain on both and take a contract down the middle for next year.

I think fans need to accept that Strome is the type of player we could end up losing for nothing. And that is ok. You can't get a good asset for every UFA, and you don't need to trade every UFA.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
If i was another team id make the Rangers pay me to take Georgiev. A 7th would be too much. He isnt an NHL goaltender. I'd rather play the whole game with an empty net than see him play.
Strome by himself is probably worth a 2nd.
If you add georgiev then it decreases the value to a 4th lol..

Reactions: Weltschmerz

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I don't see how this makes any sense for the Leafs. Mrazek is expected to miss 6 games total. Kerfoot isn't a cap dump.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I'm not seeing the logic in bringing in Georgiev with Campbell and Mrazek already on the roster

D4ngleSZN

Sep 26, 2021
Lol what, you know he's their starter?

Reactions: North Cole

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Unless the Rangers aren't sniffing a playoff spot by TDL than Strome will be viewed as a TDL acquisition. Trading Strome is the antithesis of why Dolan completely cleaned house aiming for playoffs and more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad