Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yes, and it's not a loophole. It's also actually faster for a CHL player to do the same thing (2 years)

EDIT: I also don't think it applies to Poehling, since he played a year in the NCAA before being drafted, and teams retain NCAAers rights for 4 years after being drafted, so he would be done school a year before we lost his rights.

CHLers go back into the draft if they refuse to sign, like Mascherin did.

Reactions: badbrains

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Adam Mascherin this season re-entered the draft.

Right. But was this because he wasn't offered an elc or because he refused to sign one? He didn't become ufa as Schultz did, he was required to enter the draft again, correct?

And in the case of college players, after 4 years they can decide not to sign and become ufa. I don't think the CHL players have the same option..

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Right. But was this because he wasn't offered an elc or because he refused to sign one? He didn't become ufa as Schultz did, he was required to enter the draft again, correct?

And in the case of college players, after 4 years they can decide not to sign and become ufa. I don't think the CHL players have the same option..

He refused to sign

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Does the loophole still exist where college players can opt out of signing with their draft team? Justin Schultz comes to mind, among others.

yes, but it doesn't apply for Poehling or any of our NCAA picks including the 3 we just drafted. (well it would have with Hawkey and Koberstein but they didn't use the loophole so it closed)

Yes, and it's not a loophole. It's also actually faster for a CHL player to do the same thing (2 years)

EDIT: I also don't think it applies to Poehling, since he played a year in the NCAA before being drafted, and teams retain NCAAers rights for 4 years after being drafted, so he would be done school a year before we lost his rights.

So there's 2 things here.

1. The NCAA loophole - That is only for players drafted by an NHL team that are slated to go to the NCAA but after being drafted they don't go directly to the NCAA. If this happens, then after their Junior year they can inform their NHL team that they are going to opt out and become a UFA on July 1st.

2. They can refuse to sign after their 4 years in the NCAA is over. If so they become UFA's on August 15th.

Can he be compared to Jordan Staal?

perhaps, maybe not as good defensively, I'd have to think about that one some more.

CHLers go back into the draft if they refuse to sign, like Mascherin did.

Not all will, it depends on age. Take Fleury as an example, if for some reason the Habs opted not to sign him, then he plays in the dub again next season. If he says I want to play for the Canes with my brother, he can refuse to sign by next June 1st's deadline but he'll be too old to go back into the draft (unless they changed the rules on me lately as that's how it was but we rarely see it happen)

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I think Molson and Bergevin are desperate and if he has a good camp he'll be on the NHL squad.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I really hope that he doesn't play in the NHL next year.

Regardless of when he joins the pros, he should get a full season in the AHL. Give him what the opportunities that they never gave Lars Eller, Louis Leblanc, and Michael McCarron -- the opportunity to play 20+ or even 22+ minutes a game in all situations (PP, PK, 5on5, 4on4, 6v5, 5v6, etc) with good complementary wingers for a full season.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

Regardless of when he joins the pros, he should get a full season in the AHL. Give him what the opportunities that they never gave Lars Eller, Louis Leblanc, and Michael McCarron -- the opportunity to play 20+ or even 22+ minutes a game in all situations (PP, PK, 5on5, 4on4, 6v5, 5v6, etc) with good complementary wingers for a full season.

I want him to play in the ahl, but he's talent reeks of a julien type of guy. i'm excited, but hopeful we wait a couple years.

Reactions: DAChampion

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I think Molson and Bergevin are desperate and if he has a good camp he'll be on the NHL squad.

I sincerely hope they don't do that, and that they let him develop nicely in the NCAA. Same for Kotka.

Molson's greediness and Bergevin's foolishness needs to be reined in.

Unless they saw the light this offseason, who knows...

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

Ideally, both Kotka and him turn pro next season and whoever has the best camp or is performing better by Christmas time gets the call-up.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So much crow is going to be eaten because of this guy....

No one said he had no skills just that he doesn't have the ability to score from distance which automatically limits your upside offensively unless you are a passer as gifted as Thornton or Backstrom and Poehling is definitely not that gifted a passer.

If he continues his trend he will be a 2nd line C which is great and needed.

Reactions: Peanut and Toene

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
No one said he had no skills just that he doesn't have the ability to score from distance which automatically limits your upside offensively unless you are a passer as gifted as Thornton or Backstrom and Poehling is definitely not that gifted a passer.

If he continues his trend he will be a 2nd line C which is great and needed.
Happy that you're enjoying your crow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad