Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Edmonton Oilers

Lottery Oilers*

Continue to ramble about numbers.

They say nothing about RNH as a person or a player and how he will grow over the next few years as a person or a player. Not every situation can be type cast and put into a formula.

I am fine with people using stats as a reference and as part of a guide towards studying players, but you can't seriously believe that crunching numbers truly predicts players at the next level.

If there was a magic formula, someone would have found it long before you and more teams would draft based off of numbers rather than spending hundreds of thousands of dollars travelling the world and scouting.

I don't know why people engage in discussions with that guy.

He's the same guy that said Horcoff > Crosby and that Tom Gilbert is a top 10 defensemen in the league according to his statistical breakdown.

Ever hear about the boy who cried wolf? Oilerbear has zero credibility.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I think Couturier only did 3. I could be wrong.

Yeah, that is why I did the panic icon at the end of the post. A number of people are or were all worried about a skilled forward not being strong enough and not being heavy enough. That is way down the list of important things for me when looking at a 1st line center.

the word*

TSN's Scott Cullen is reporting that "Ryan Nugent-Hopkins excelled in his workout - better than other top prospects so far."

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Couturier needs to gain a lot of weight before he plays in the NHL, the guy is pretty skinny and lacks alot of bulk.

zeus3007*

You guys are watching the Combine right now?

They have a bunch of videos up on TSN. Apparently the three guys who impressed scouts the most were Jamieson Oleksiak, Tyler Biggs, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Oleksiak and Biggs because they came in such great shape, and RNH because he performed so much better than scouts anticipated.

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
They have a bunch of videos up on TSN. Apparently the three guys who impressed scouts the most were Jamieson Oleksiak, Tyler Biggs, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Oleksiak and Biggs because they came in such great shape, and RNH because he performed so much better than scouts anticipated.

biggs might be the one guy who really jumps up because of the combine, he was ranked as high as 7th i believe late in 2010 but has fallen ever since, maybe this launches his stock back up...

I think this might just seal RNH going first, i wouldnt be shocked if the oilers just came out and said they were taking him in the next couple days...

tsdevils82

I have never heard of this guy before and I sure hope he is wrong. RNH is the perfect player to put between Hall and Eberle. Trading down a few spots for a 2nd or a middle of the pack prospect doesn't help us at all. I don't see another team offering up enough for me to feel comfortable passing on RNH.

Don't be stupid Tambo. JayBo or Nash? Horton or E Staal? Keep the 1st.

Probably the best beat writer we have for the Devils, and is somewhat connected.

Lottery Oilers*

Couturier needs to gain a lot of weight before he plays in the NHL, the guy is pretty skinny and lacks alot of bulk.

I want RNH but Couturier is unreal potential if he's such a weakling right now.

No chance he doesn't fill out over the next couple years.

zeus3007*

I want RNH but Couturier is unreal potential if he's such a weakling right now.

No chance he doesn't fill out over the next couple years.

I think that comes down to the work ethic questions that have been floating around about Coutourier.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
biggs might be the one guy who really jumps up because of the combine, he was ranked as high as 7th i believe late in 2010 but has fallen ever since, maybe this launches his stock back up...

I think this might just seal RNH going first, i wouldnt be shocked if the oilers just came out and said they were taking him in the next couple days...

I've heard that they want to keep it quiet so that the moment the players name is called it's more special for him.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Looked at first two rounds. Many have looked at it and no one could come up with an example.

so you gave me one example in in which he had a 30% reduction in NHL. thats great. so 5% of the bellow 30% players have a 30% reduction. instead of 50%. yeah. that means that there is now a 5% chance of the best case were RNH expected is only 30% below. which would make hima 53-57 pt player who gets 30% goals.

So 17G and 40 Assists. with the first pick. beauty.

here is the thing if you come up with 20 more examples then there is a 50/50 chance he is a 45 pt player or best case a 57 pt player. Beauty.

stats...numbers....blah blah blah

by your logic, Rico Fata (57%!!) should have been a better player than Brad Richards

why didn't he turn out?
oh right, stats are only part of the equation

Lottery Oilers*

by your logic, Rico Fata (57%!!) should have been a better player than Brad Richards

why didn't he turn out?

:laugh:

Every single time this guy posts I'm just going to reference Fata.

57%!!!!

zeus3007*

why didn't he turn out?

75% of statistics are made up anyway. 60% of professional statisticians would agree with that 90% of the time.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Kariyas NCAA PPG said he should be a 2.7PPG player in the super elite range. He produced half. But a 1.4ppg player is well generational.

When your system tells you a player is going to have 200+ point seasons you may want to re-evaluate it.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Can't see the Oilers trading down, unless the incentive is very good.

Every single interview Tambo does he stresses how important and special it is to be able to have a guy like Stu have the opportunity to take the best player of the draft. Sure, the top few guys are pretty close, but when you trade down you lose the ability to have the decision in your hands.

Great hockey players want the puck on their stick in the last minute of the game and Head Scouts want the first pick and the pressure of picking the best player.

If we leave the draft without Larsson, RNH, or Huberdeau I'll be pretty upset.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Can't see the Oilers trading down, unless the incentive is very good.

Every single interview Tambo does he stresses how important and special it is to be able to have a guy like Stu have the opportunity to take the best player of the draft. Sure, the top few guys are pretty close, but when you trade down you lose the ability to have the decision in your hands.

Great hockey players want the puck on their stick in the last minute of the game and Head Scouts want the first pick and the pressure of picking the best player.

If we leave the draft without Larsson, RNH, or Huberdeau I'll be pretty upset.
It also sounds like RNH has separated himself from the pack. Every single informed person on Edmonton radio says they would take RNH 1st overall. Gregor also talked to 15 scouts and 14 of them said they would take him first. The 15th scout chose not to give his opinion. He may not blow Larsson out of the water or be on the same level as Tavares and Hall but he is the BPA and helps fill a major hole in the Oilers line up down the line. It seems like a no brainer now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad