Ryan Kesler In Practice With The Canucks Today

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't get the rationale behind loading up Kesler with the Sedins on the first line.

I guess if you think that Raymond-Schroeder-Burrows (or Booth-Schroeder-Burrows) is a viable second like then fine, but in my opinion the return on choosing to be a one line team would not be worth the cost.

Doing so in the Finals in 2011 would have absolutely killed us, as we routinely got lit up when Boston's depth forwards overmatched ours.

Actually it was the Sedin line (as well as Andrew Alberts on the back end) that got lit up defensively. In a series where we can't score, putting our top offensive players on one like makes sense. Also, adding a Selke winning forward to a line that's being exposed defensively would help a lot too.

I wouldn't mind at all seeing Kesler used on the wing, even just for the regular season. Ease him back in and get him away from the abuse he's taken.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Actually it was the Sedin line (as well as Andrew Alberts on the back end) that got lit up defensively.

Max Lapierre was a minus player in that series. So was Manny Malhotra. So was Mason Raymond. So was Chris Higgins. And Torres. And so on.

The point being that no Canuck line was thriving out there, and depriving another line of its best player was just going to mean yet another line that would get badly exposed.

In a series where we can't score, putting our top offensive players on one like makes sense. Also, adding a Selke winning forward to a line that's being exposed defensively would help a lot too.

Kesler's -6 (with 1 assist) for that series fit right between Daniel's -5 and Henrik's -7 so I'm not sure how he was going to improve both their offense and defensive performance.

I wouldn't mind at all seeing Kesler used on the wing, even just for the regular season. Ease him back in and get him away from the abuse he's taken.

I've said this elsewhere but in the regular season I agree - if Jordan Schroeder can't play the wing comfortably it might be worth seeing whether he can center a line with Kesler.. in my opinion anything that allows us to carry another pivot in the lineup is a good thing (although we'd still need to make an addition before the playoffs).

Wizeman*

Why cant Schroeder simply center a 3rd line with Raymond and Hansen? Why does he have to play with Kesler in some variation. Specifically this non realistic fantasy where Kesler moves to wing.

Because he did it ONCE for hall of fame Mats Sundin before Kesler was fully developed ?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Why cant Schroeder simply center a 3rd line with Raymond and Hansen? Why does he have to play with Kesler in some variation. Specifically this non realistic fantasy where Kesler moves to wing.

Because he did it ONCE for hall of fame Mats Sundin before Kesler was fully developed ?

Also because there was an interview with Gillman in this past summer where he stated the team liked how Kesler performed on the wing and this is something they may consider going forward.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Yeah, I just don't see their styles complimenting each other at all.

I think they're adaptable enough players that they could succeed together.. I just don't think Ryan Kesler improves the Sedin line nearly as much as he improves the Kesler line.

Not much point loading up one line when you have 60 minutes of ice time to spread across four of them..

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yeah, I just don't see their styles complimenting each other at all.

when he has the time and space, kesler is the closest thing we have to a one-shot scorer. in critical situations (i wouldn't make this a regular line), it makes sense to push for a goal that way.

instead of playing like burrows, for instance, of kassian, kesler + the sedins in the best case scenario could be like having a poor man's brett hull with them, finding open areas of the ice to take wide open shots.

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I think they're adaptable enough players that they could succeed together.. I just don't think Ryan Kesler improves the Sedin line nearly as much as he improves the Kesler line.

Not much point loading up one line when you have 60 minutes of ice time to spread across four of them..

Yeah, we need to spread the depth. The only time we should see Sedin Sedin Kesler is on PP unit 1.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
I think, with consistent play by Schredder, we have a super solid middle to build around and a supporting cast that can be mixed and matched at will if need be.

Sedin - Sedin - xxxx
xxxxx - Kesler - xxxx
xxxxx - Schroeder - xxxx
xxxxx - Lapierre/Malhotra - xxxx

With Burrows, Booth, Hansen, Kassian, Raymond, Higgins playing with whoever. We're finally at a point where, when healthy, there isn't a spot a player can go to(except the 4th line) where they shouldn't be able to eek out some success.

You can try loading up lines, but it just means someone playing up onto a higher line then they should be, or someone playing center when they shouldn't. Unless you make Malhotra come out for draws and then jump off the ice.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site

I think it is more to take the wear and tear off Kesler. As well Schroeder has provided some very unexpected defensive play. He's been really god on both the back and forecheck. If that allows Kesler to not put himself in harms way I'm all for it.

Potatoe1

Oct 5, 2004
I don't get the rationale behind loading up Kesler with the Sedins on the first line.

Well if you are going to lose you marbles and move a Selke winner to a position where his defensive game is far less meaningful, why not try him with the Twins (Smile).

People realize that Schroeder can play wing right?

As well Schroeder has provided some very unexpected defensive play. He's been really god on both the back and forecheck. If that allows Kesler to not put himself in harms way I'm all for it.

His defensive game has been fine but keep in mind that there is a fairly massive gap between the type of defensive game Kesler has played in the past and what we are seeing from Schroeder.

Kesler is a first unit power play guy, a player you match against the other teams best center, and a guy you lean on heavy to protect leads late in a game.

There is a huge difference between a guy capable of playing that role, and a guy capable of taking a regular even strength shift against mostly bottom 9 forwards.

Last edited:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
It certainly didn't work when it was tried in the AHL. Maybe he can do it now but he's likely still going to be less effective than he is at center. It's difficult enough for a rookie, especially if you're small — I don't see the point of making it even tougher.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Every time they switched Schroeder to the wing in Manitoba or Chicago he has looked a lot less effective. Let's let him get settled in one position rather than switching him all around.

MacIntyre pushes this idea but this seems based solely on the precept that Parise is small and from the same area and he's a wing so maybe Schroeder should play wing too. Based on his actual play there seems little merit here.

Schroeder has played center throughout minor hockey, with the US National team, and in University. Only at the pro level was he used at wing and this experiment was not successful at all.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Well if you are going to lose you marbles and move a Selke winner to a position where his defensive game is far less meaningful, why not try him with the Twins (Smile).

People realize that Schroeder can play wing right?

:laugh:

In seriousness though I had heard Schroeder was just not effective on the wing (haven't seen it tried myself) which is why you'd move Kesler in the event they were tried on the same line.

In the event we're crazy enough to move Kesler away from center I'd still rather not put all our eggs in one basket (beyond the "chasing a lead in the dying minutes" type of scenario).

It would be awkward to have Schroeder "center" a line and try to put Kesler on the wing and still give him his usual defensive responsibilities, but maybe there's a way to find balance there. I guess without knowing what Schroeder can't do as a winger, it's impossible to say.

Potatoe1

Oct 5, 2004
Every time they switched Schroeder to the wing in Manitoba or Chicago he has looked a lot less effective. Let's let him get settled in one position rather than switching him all around.

MacIntyre pushes this idea but this seems based solely on the precept that Parise is small and from the same area and he's a wing so maybe Schroeder should play wing too. Based on his actual play there seems little merit here.

Schroeder has played center throughout minor hockey, with the US National team, and in University. Only at the pro level was he used at wing and this experiment was not successful at all.

I'm pretty sure I remember Schroeder playing on the wing at his 3rd WJC.

I also think I read a recent quote from his AHL coach saying he could play wing.

That said my 1 year old wakes me up about 15 times a night so I'm a bit foggy these days.

;)

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm pretty sure I remember Schroeder playing on the wing at his 3rd WJC.

I also think I read a recent quote from his AHL coach saying he could play wing.

That said my 1 year old wakes me up about 15 times a night so I'm a bit foggy these days.

;)

Oh sure, Schroeder can play wing. Just not well. IIRC, all the scouts weren't too impressed with that WJC for him.

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
I think, with consistent play by Schredder, we have a super solid middle to build around and a supporting cast that can be mixed and matched at will if need be.

Sedin - Sedin - xxxx
xxxxx - Kesler - xxxx
xxxxx - Schroeder - xxxx
xxxxx - Lapierre/Malhotra - xxxx

With Burrows, Booth, Hansen, Kassian, Raymond, Higgins playing with whoever. We're finally at a point where, when healthy, there isn't a spot a player can go to(except the 4th line) where they shouldn't be able to eek out some success.

You can try loading up lines, but it just means someone playing up onto a higher line then they should be, or someone playing center when they shouldn't. Unless you make Malhotra come out for draws and then jump off the ice.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Lapierre - Malholtra - Wiese

If Booth was upgraded and Schroeder was given more defensive responsbility like 1st Unit PK, and our forwards would look pretty good.

Wizeman*

Also because there was an interview with Gillman in this past summer where he stated the team liked how Kesler performed on the wing and this is something they may consider going forward.

For any center that comes along? Can you link to me where Gillman says this too?

What is the point of this? For whom ?

Kesler can play wing but hes a Selke winning Center.

Would have to be one hell of a center for him to move, but its possible. Its nice to know Kesler can play wing but Burrows also used to play defense in junior. He plays defense down 5 on 3. Canucks consider this as well.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
@medhatcanuck: Where's Higgins?

For any center that comes along? Can you link to me where Gillman says this too?

What is the point of this? For whom ?

Kesler can play wing but hes a Selke winning Center.

Would have to be one hell of a center for him to move, but its possible. Its nice to know Kesler can play wing but Burrows also used to play defense in junior. He plays defense down 5 on 3. Canucks consider this as well.

Did he? I did not know this... wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad