Value of: Ryan Graves in a D-for-D swap

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WesMantooth

Jan 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Ryan Graves isn’t working out in Pittsburgh but he still clearly has size and skill, I don’t think his stock has dropped all that significantly.

Thinking he’s a great candidate for a defenseman swap with another team with a similar player in a “change of scenery” trade that could benefit both teams.

Who are you offering?

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Why hasn't he worked out? He was a valuable player in NJ. Formed a shut down pair with Marino, block shots and played big minutes on PK.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Graves isn’t worth the contract.
Why hasn't he worked out? He was a valuable player in NJ. Formed a shut down pair with Marino, block shots and played big minutes on PK.
Graves wasn’t very good in nj either. Just looked better because of how their offense was clicking last season.

Reactions: Chainshot

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Graves just isn’t very good, NJ gave up on him 6 months ago and Colorado gave up on him two years before that. This is a pattern now.

He can’t defend and ruins offense with his horrendous shot selection. Is nowhere near as physical as his size suggests. He’s a PMD trapped in the body of a stay-at-home D.

No contender is going to add a guy with 4 years of term left. Maybe a young, soft team might be willing to dangle a similarly struggling forward (Buffalo/Ottawa) for a hockey trade?

WesMantooth

Jan 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Just sloppy.

Weak along the boards, doesn't use his size, loses puck battles too often, and when he does get the puck he can't clear the zone or make a clean first pass.

Like you see he has all the tools, he's just not putting it together right now. We've had Dmen in the past that have taken a year or two to get going (Gonch / Paul Martin) but that was 20 years ago. Pens don't have the luxury of time right now.

Reactions: BillyOcean

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just sloppy.

Weak along the boards, doesn't use his size, loses puck battles too often, and when he does get the puck he can't clear the zone or make a clean first pass.

Like you see he has all the tools, he's just not putting it together right now. We've had Dmen in the past that have taken a year or two to get going (Gonch / Paul Martin) but that was 20 years ago. Pens don't have the luxury of time right now.
You’ve just described Graves though. That doesn’t sound like he’s taking time to get used to anything. Sounds like he’s completely himself.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
With the right partner Graves can be successful for stretches, but he's a complementary piece. And, as previously stated, he has the inclination of an offensive D without any of the instincts. He was alright in extremely tough minutes last season, but Marino was carrying that pair.

Just too much money and too much term for a guy who isn't a difference maker.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
I dont think Penguins get out of this contract. They finally got away from the Dumolin disaster the past 2 years and signed a younger more expensive version. So far this season both Letang and Karlsson has performed better when NOT paired with him.

At this point he should be on the third pairing but highly doubt they put the $4.5 million (shutdown) guy on the third pair. Also I have no idea where he got the distinction of shutdown because hes softer than butter and his positioning stinks. Hands down the biggest disappointment of the off season by Dubas.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I liked Graves, but his play is flawed as mentioned above.
He's really a 5/6 who has mustered obtaining a 2nd pairing contract with term.
Can't begrudge him for that.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Graves just isn’t very good, NJ gave up on him 6 months ago and Colorado gave up on him two years before that. This is a pattern now.

He can’t defend and ruins offense with his horrendous shot selection. Is nowhere near as physical as his size suggests. He’s a PMD trapped in the body of a stay-at-home D.

No contender is going to add a guy with 4 years of term left. Maybe a young, soft team might be willing to dangle a similarly struggling forward (Buffalo/Ottawa) for a hockey trade?

Super evident in the playoffs, explains why Colorado gave up on him. I remember the OT goal Stone scored on them in the playoffs to shift that entire series came off Graves getting blocked twice and then going the other way. Not to mention, the countless f*** ups he had on the PK and 5v5 in the playoffs for us in Jersey last year.

Never understood why people thought this guy was good.

He's decent as a roster spot if you need somewhat capable dman to go from bad to decent. If you're trying to win a Cup, he's a big no

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa

NJ didn’t give up on him so much as his personal contract needs did not match the Devils’ timeline. Ideally the Devils would have kept one of Graves or Severson, short term, but they both wanted long term and were able to get it elsewhere, and the devils didn’t so much give up on them, as they simply couldn’t accommodate their term demands.

This team would love a short term Graves right now. They don’t want Graves at that term - him demanding that term is the reason he’s gone.

Reactions: Jacob

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I think he’s just being overused trying to play with Letang and Karlsson… I think he can be fine but I think they need a true number 5 defenseman who can rotate in with Graves and Pettersson to try to play the minutes that Letang and Karlsson are doing.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
NJ didn’t give up on him so much as his personal contract needs did not match the Devils’ timeline. Ideally the Devils would have kept one of Graves or Severson, short term, but they both wanted long term and were able to get it elsewhere, and the devils didn’t so much give up on them, as they simply couldn’t accommodate their term demands.

This team would love a short term Graves right now. They don’t want Graves at that term - him demanding that term is the reason he’s gone.
i am totally fine with graves play in pittsburgh and never understood some devils fans wanted to keep him. even over severson.

he is chaos giraffe light. he either doesn't know his limitations or simply makes bad decisions. his gambles can lead to a few highlights. but mostly they turn against his team.

Reactions: Oneiro

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Yep, sounds about right. Also, you've seen nothing yet as Pens fans. If you think regular season Ryan Graves sucks then playoff Ryan Graves is about to blow your minds

1704301361608.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad