RW Tyler Wong - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2014 Undrafted)

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

lawrence

May 19, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/vorkywh24/status/858762125837205507

There's no official confirmation but seeing that they have reached out to even Brandon Wong of Oberliga (Germany's 3rd tier) and Mikaël Tam of the ECHL and signed both of them, it's certainly more than likely.

They are actively looking for players with any ties to China, Greg Squires is also a recent addition with Chinese roots.

wow cool thanks. They probably approach Tyler Ho. Having the KHL in China is honestly not the best idea.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
wow cool thanks. They probably approach Tyler Ho. Having the KHL in China is honestly not the best idea.

It's not a bad idea. Starting from the next season they will also have teams in the VHL (Russian second tier) and MHL (Russian junior league). I wouldn't be surprised to see another Chinese team in the KHL soon.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It's not a bad idea. Starting from the next season they will also have teams in the VHL (Russian second tier) and MHL (Russian junior league). I wouldn't be surprised to see another Chinese team in the KHL soon.

that's pretty cool, which cities are they playing in?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
that's pretty cool, which cities are they playing in?

The VHL team will play in Harbin. The MHL team's location is still to be announced but the southern city of Shenzhen has been suggested which would be a very untraditional location for hockey.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

There's no official confirmation but seeing that they have reached out to even Brandon Wong of Oberliga (Germany's 3rd tier) and Mikaël Tam of the ECHL and signed both of them, it's certainly more than likely.

They are actively looking for players with any ties to China, Greg Squires is also a recent addition with Chinese roots.

Even as a Han Chinese descent myself (Although I'm partially from Taiwan and partially from PRC, so I'm a bit biased) I definitely wouldn't live in China if I was already having a decent life, regardless of how much I'm being offered. Tyler made a smart move.

Reactions: Hazed Existence

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Does anyone know how Mikael Tam got the name Mikael? Does his father happen to be half Scandinavian or his mother part Scandinavian/full or something?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Even as a Han Chinese descent myself (Although I'm partially from Taiwan and partially from PRC, so I'm a bit biased) I definitely wouldn't live in China if I was already having a decent life, regardless of how much I'm being offered. Tyler made a smart move.

He would get to enjoy a very luxurious lifestyle in China though and being able to participate in the Olympics would surely mean something to him as well. If he doesn't become an NHL regular I think he'll dash to China.

Does anyone know how Mikael Tam got the name Mikael? Does his father happen to be half Scandinavian or his mother part Scandinavian/full or something?

It's Mikaël, with umlauts. He comes from Quebec so it's not weird. Kunlun released him because he was injured though.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

lived in china for a few months for grad school. my lungs are still paying for it. the pollution is insane.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Looked really good vs the Canucks Sunday night.

Saw the game. Thought he and Glass were the most offensively dangerous players for the Knights. Heck of a debut though, never really watched him when he was with the Hurricanes, but I was pleasantly surprised with his compete level and nose for the net.

His puck skills are undeniable and his talent and he's got high end offensive instincts and if he improves on his skating at all, I think he'll get plenty of NHL games in the future.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
This kid put up 109 points last year in the WHL, how did nobody take a flier on him except Vegas?

Small, overage guy with mediocre skating, mediocre defense. He doesn't have a good shot, doesn't have high hockey IQ, isn't a great passer.

He is the typical overager that is able to get points in the WHL by being older and more experienced rather than having actual talent.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Small, overage guy with mediocre skating, mediocre defense. He doesn't have a good shot, doesn't have high hockey IQ, isn't a great passer.

He is the typical overager that is able to get points in the WHL by being older and more experienced rather than having actual talent.

Shot looks decent to me; skating looks adequate.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary

Looked better than 20 other forwards in that game. He did really well for a player with virtually no pro experience under his belt. I was actually pleasantly surprised with his hockey iq, he had great anticipation and read the play well which lead directly to a couple of his goals.

He even threaded a helluva pass through 2 defenders to spring his teammate on a breakaway. I think you're selling him a bit short here.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There's a real good chance he gets a contract and makes the Golden Knights roster. In a roster of mostly nhl players he stood out as the most dangerous against the Ducks and his passing was sublime. Vegas would be foolish not to give this kid an NHL contract soon.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
He was really good at last years Leafs camp

Really surprised he didn't get a contract after that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad