RW Nail Yakupov - Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik, KHL

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Agreed. Perhaps it may be like comparing clutch and grab NHL vs the post 1st lockout? I dunno I haven't watched a lot of RSL vs KHL hockey.

If people don't like comparing RSL to KHL I guess we can only compare him to other top rated young Russians post draft seasons in the KHL. Not really as useful because none of them have proven squat in the NHL, but it's all there is.

Yakupov 2011–12 Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk KHL 13 10 4 14

Tarasenko 2010–11 HC Sibir KHL 42 9 10 19
Kuznetsov 2010–11 Traktor Chelyabinsk KHL 44 17 15 32

Helped you there buddy. ;)

canucksPK

May 9, 2011
Okanagan BC
Yakupov is the best prospect since John Tavares imo, not counting 2013 draft +.

He is electric on the ice, incredibly dynamic. He has a wicked shot, and elite hands. His physicality is very noticeable. His playmaking and vision are also incredible.

I think he is a perfect middle between Kane and Ovechkin. A somewhat weaker playmaker than Kane, but add that Ovechkin-lite sniper/physicality.. you have one wicked prospect.

Turrican*

He is electric on the ice, incredibly dynamic. He has a wicked shot, and elite hands. His physicality is very noticeable. His playmaking and vision are also incredible.

I think he is a perfect middle between Kane and Ovechkin. A somewhat weaker playmaker than Kane, but add that Ovechkin-lite sniper/physicality.. you have one wicked prospect.

Pffft.
Shall I remind you of Alexandre Daigle and Rick Dipietro?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
OMG Yakupov would have 9.5 goals instead of 10 goals if he played in 2004-2005!!

Actually since these leagues differed by 0.72 gpg and given that 4.65 and 5.37 differ by a factor of 1.15, the KHL is scoring at a 15% higher rate! And there are exactly two teams that play each game, so that must mean that each team is contributing goals at a 7.5% higher rate... Don't you see? Yakupov therefore has actually only scored exactly 9.3 goals. So... please get the math right ;)

Applying this 7.5% equalization factor to Ovie's 13 goals, means he would have scored 13.98 goals in his 37 games. Or, at this point, 12 games into this season, he would have had... wait... 4.53 goals.... that can't be right!?!?

Anyway, like we said before... you can't compare this league to what we called it before, when it's scoring was 15% lower! It's like apples and oranges!

Oh yeah... and Ovechkin isn't trying this year... or he's regressed or something.

Oh right... sample size... sample size!

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Being a scout must be tough.

"I don't know who to pick! All these players are in different leagues...We can't just COMPARE them like that!"

I wonder how many scouts draft players based on extrapolating one player's numbers in one league to another player's numbers in a different league. Even better if there's a space of 8 or so years between the numbers in question being compared.

Wait a minute - that's only HFboards that scouts like that! Scouts have the arduous task of actually watching the games! Silly me.

Of course, I'm sure all the people making comparisons to Yakupov's current performance with Ovechkin's RSL performance watched Oveckin keenly back in the Super League in 2004, and are no doubt qualified to continue to assert belligerently that it's "practically the same thing" and make judgements about Ovechkin's icetime and linemates as well as the teams he played for and against.

If not, that would just be embarassing.

canucksPK

May 9, 2011
Okanagan BC
Pffft.
Shall I remind you of Alexandre Daigle and Rick Dipietro?

Shall I remind you of every other successful prospect?
I'm sorry but 18 years olds not getting huge minutes don't put up the kind of numbers Yakupov is on the KHL, it's ridiculous what he's doing.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
After years of let downs, broken hearts, tears, and too much whisky to deal with the pain of being an Oiler fan I prefer to temper my expectations and excitement. It is hard however to imagine Yakupov and Justin Schultz struggling in the NHL. I can see Yakupov scoring 40+ goals before he is 22.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I wonder how many scouts draft players based on extrapolating one player's numbers in one league to another player's numbers in a different league. Even better if there's a space of 8 or so years between the numbers in question being compared.

Wait a minute - that's only HFboards that scouts like that! Scouts have the arduous task of actually watching the games! Silly me.

Of course, I'm sure all the people making comparisons to Yakupov's current performance with Ovechkin's RSL performance watched Oveckin keenly back in the Super League in 2004, and are no doubt qualified to continue to assert belligerently that it's "practically the same thing" and make judgements about Ovechkin's icetime and linemates as well as the teams he played for and against.

Almost as embarassing as taking that post so serious?

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

You keep repeating that the RSL is different league from the KHL. That is obviously true, due to records and such not transferring but can you explain how it affected the actual games? Both are considered the second best league in the world, play under international rules and have a primarily Russian player base. Other than scoring rates (which can be compensated for), do you have any hard facts that support your claims?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Agreed. Perhaps it may be like comparing clutch and grab NHL vs the post 1st lockout? I dunno I haven't watched a lot of RSL vs KHL hockey.

If people don't like comparing RSL to KHL I guess we can only compare him to other top rated young Russians post draft seasons in the KHL. Not really as useful because none of them have proven squat in the NHL, but it's all there is.

Yakupov 2011–12 Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk KHL 13 10 4 14

Tarasenko 2010–11 HC Sibir KHL 42 9 10 19
Kuznetsov 2010–11 Traktor Chelyabinsk KHL 44 17 15 32

Hm, I don't think you can compare year to year like that. The league is different year to year. Different players....that just throws the stats off. And all those players play for different teams! That completely throws off comparing linemates...it's impossible, they play with different people! Heck, they even have different brains, so how can you REALLY compare them if they have different brains? They would do different things in pressure situations so you it's not fair to compare player to player.

There's only one solution. Comparing Nail Yakupov to....Nail Yakupov.

The good news is that he's tied with the best Nail Yakupov of all time.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Hm, I don't think you can compare year to year like that. The league is different year to year. Different players....that just throws the stats off. And all those players play for different teams! That completely throws off comparing linemates...it's impossible, they play with different people! Heck, they even have different brains, so how can you REALLY compare them if they have different brains? They would do different things in pressure situations so you it's not fair to compare player to player.

There's only one solution. Comparing Nail Yakupov to....Nail Yakupov.

The good news is that he's tied with the best Nail Yakupov of all time.

Nope, the best Nail Yakupov is better.

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Pavel Bure highl... ops i mean Nail Yakupov highlights from his first 13 games in KHL.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Yakupov has a stacked offensive toolbox. Sniper, Playmaker and even gets the garbage.

50 GOAL ROOKIE SEASON.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Yeah I sort of see the Kane-Ovy hybrid in there too.

Going to be fun to watch if the NHL ever comes back (lol).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad