RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Here's at least one report at the time from Montreal suggesting nothing negative about Michkov's interview.

Maybe this is just an outlier report, but maybe "Michkov tanked his interviews" is just grasping at the straws.

And why would any player not want to play in Montreal? It’s the Mecca of hockey.

• Haha
Reactions: Doodootheclown

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
And why would any player not want to play in Montreal? It’s the Mecca of hockey.

Correct. Just look at my post from this thread recapping the post-draft 32 Thoughts podcast last summer. Maybe Michkov had preferred teams, but who doesn't? Montreal fits Friedman's description as much as Philadelphia does.

It's also interesting that Michkov's agent went on the record to say Arizona and Washington specifically were the destinations that he didn't want. If Montreal or San Jose were also the case, why wouldn't his agent note them too?

32 Thoughts

- Friedman calls back to how last week it was thought Michkov had preferred teams in mind. He says we now know that was 100% true. Michkov indicated he wanted to go to a market where the team mattered, the team was popular, and they had a chance to win.

- Friedman says he knows fans haven't been happy with ownership, but Michkov saw it as a stable ownership that spends money and is dedicated to winning.

- Flyers wondered "Is this too good to be true?" after the Voorhees meeting, so the Flyers scheduled a 2nd meeting in Nashville. People who attended the Nashville meeting, but not the Voorhees meeting, were convinced that Michkov was serious about Philadelphia.

- Friedman thinks the Flyers tried to trade up.

- Friedman invokes the "The Soviets are leaving the ice" story, and said he heard from people "Is Michkov aware of [that story?]" So Friedman asked someone who knows Michkov if he is aware, but they weren't sure if Michkov is aware and plans to check with him.

- Thinks the Flyers were surprised that nothing scared him. Not Philly, not Torts, not the rebuild.

- Philly has been disappointed with how much has leaked, but the Flyers happy to keep this under wraps and are excited about the fan response

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Don't think its insane for teams to not want to draft a player that clearly made little effort to get in contact with them. No other prospects had this problem. Just look at how burned the Flyers got themselves by taking Gauthier, a player that wasnt a fan of the Flyers. A 5th overall pick they used 2 years ago has now turned into a 2nd and a small, more injured than not d man. Yes Drysdale was a former 6th overall pick but he has nowhere near that value now or the time he was traded.

Its not "4D chess", its reality. A company is not going to hire someone that gives off the vibe they dont want anything to do with them.
Look how having time to "interview well ahead of the draft and getting in contact" benefited the flyers with Gauthier. It didn't do shit to prevent some little spoiled brat pulling what he did. So to discriminate Michkov, when it clearly can make no difference, is dumb.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
You don't think its possible he gave off vibes he didnt want to play for certain teams even if he agreed for a quick interview? Don't think it would be very difficult to notice. He knew what he was doing.

You are free to your opinion that you should have still drafted him no matter what. But the truth is, not everyone is going to share that opinion, especially the people in charge of making that pick and potentially having to deal with the backlash/issues that come in the future (refusing to play, having to trade him etc).

Its much easier to say x team should have picked him when you have zero stakes in the game.
I believe him more. He didnt sh1t on some team, he was excited to be interviewed, he said by himself he would be happy for playing for any team and when he was asked about interviews he said that Montreal asked strange questions like what position\wing he is playing and what is his shooting hand. Campaign about his attitude started way before in canadien media and blogger sphere.
And after the draft he was "named" as a bad player with issues and problems by canadiens team, personally he didnt said nothing bad about any nhl team. And Canadiens said A LOT of stuff about how he is small and lazy and about culture etc. But they prefer to not saying that he said he didnt want to play for them or he created this impression? Cmon. Just stop it.

How many generational talents got benched and scratched multiple times during their D+1 season? And no, it's not just Roman Rotenberg's agenda. Michkov was both benched and scratched in Sochi as well.

Is Michkov generational? It's possible but I believe it when I see it. For now there are mostly red flags.
Source with proves that he said to montreal he doesnt want to play for them? Or he didnt have meeting with them? Or if someone should prove something, but not the stupid stuff that was imagined by Michkovs haters?

1-11-00
- If Arizona would pick you, what you would do?
- If they would picked me, I would play for them and would prove everything I need.
I would play for any team.

50-23
He said that he had meetings with every team.

Overall Im lazy to listen this interview again or find in other interviews where he said about montreal specifically but he said it. If you want to believe he had no meeting with montreal or said he dont wanna play for them - at least it is THE LAST COPIUM you can trust in.

Oops. The last copium has fallen.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyguyOX and Fatass

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
It's possible but I believe it when I see it.
ken-jeong-cant-see-this.gif

Michkov is as generational for a Russian prospect as they come. Hype and accomplishments for his age is only matched by Ovechkin in the last 30 years of Russian hockey. That’s not even debatable.

And what red flags we are talking about? Till now I heard a lot of unproven Habs propaganda and nothing more. Lies they will sell to their fans when Michkov already has three Hart nominations behind him…

btw, Michkov almost in Philly and the great Alex Galchenyuk already in Sibiria... remember where you read it first:

Alex will play next season with his Sarnia Sting bro Yakupov somewhere in sibiria. And Michkov not for SKA cause he is tired of this shit.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
ken-jeong-cant-see-this.gif

Michkov is as generational for a Russian prospect as they come. Hype and accomplishments for his age is only matched by Ovechkin in the last 30 years of Russian hockey. That’s not even debatable.

And what red flags we are talking about? Till now I heard a lot of unproven Habs propaganda and nothing more. Lies they will sell to their fans when Michkov already has three Hart nominations behind him…

btw, Michkov almost in Philly and the great Alex Galchenyuk already in Sibiria... remember where you read it first:

Again, how many generational prospects were repeatedly benched and healthy scratched in their D+1 season? Let alone by more than one coach?

Also, I'm not a Habs fan...if that's what you're suggesting.

• Haha
Reactions: FlyguyOX

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Again, how many generational prospects were repeatedly benched and healthy scratched in their D+1 season? Let alone by more than one coach?

Also, I'm not a Habs fan...if that's what you're suggesting.
You keep repeating "repeatedly benched and healthy scratched" but aren't offering anything up there to back this up.
Was he "healthy" the games he didn't suit up for Sochi? Or was he dealing with pneumonia? Can anyone in here legitimately answer that question or is any answer going to be speculation?
There was one really bad game where he was a -4 and got benched. But you're saying repeatedly, so there must be other examples you could provide?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You keep repeating "repeatedly benched and healthy scratched" but aren't offering anything up there to back this up.
Was he "healthy" the games he didn't suit up for Sochi? Or was he dealing with pneumonia? Can anyone in here legitimately answer that question or is any answer going to be speculation?
There was one really bad game where he was a -4 and got benched. But you're saying repeatedly, so there must be other examples you could provide?
Correct. He was benched and scratched the next game as a result. He was perma scratched by Rotenberg as well before getting shipped out to Sochi again.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Correct. He was benched and scratched the next game as a result. He was perma scratched by Rotenberg as well before getting shipped out to Sochi again.

Buchelnikov was scratched by Rotenberg. Demidov was buried by Rotenberg. Are those red flags too, or are they just indicative of Rotenberg's misuse of young talent?

Otherwise, Michkov was scratched because he had a bad game in Sochi. A bad game on one of the worst teams in the league. As a 19 year old. After battling pneumonia. Amidst an otherwise incredible season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So "repeatedly" was the one time in Sochi?
Of the games I watched (or wanted to watch) yes. Since I don't usually watch a lot of KHL there were probably more. And he was perma scratched by Rotenberg. Makes for a lot of healthy scratches by two different coaches this season alone. Has that ever happened to a generational player? Probably not.

• Haha
Reactions: ybnvs and FlyguyOX

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Buchelnikov was scratched by Rotenberg. Demidov was buried by Rotenberg. Are those red flags too, or are they just indicative of Rotenberg's misuse of young talent?

Otherwise, Michkov was scratched because he had a bad game in Sochi. A bad game on one of the worst teams in the league. As a 19 year old. After battling pneumonia. Amidst an otherwise incredible season.
You think Buchelnikov and Demidov are generational as well? Were they scratched by more than one coach as well?

Also, Demidov is younger than Michkov. You're comparing apples and oranges. Some users here are labeling a prospect generational who got repeatedly scratched in his D+1 season. Even most "normal" 1st round picks never get scratched in their D+1 season. Playing for a bad team in a good league is no excuse to suck.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
You think Buchelnikov and Demidov are generational as well? Were they scratched by different coaches as well?

Also, Demidov is younger than Michkov. You're comparing apples and oranges. Some users here are labeling a prospect generational who got repeatedly scratched in his D+1 season. Even most "normal" 1st round picks never get scratched in their D+1 season. Playing for a bad team in a good league is no excuse to suck.
Players doesn't have to be generational for Rotenberg to display his misuse and misevaluation of them. Rotenberg misused Michkov during his DY, just as he did with Demidov this season. It is pretty clear that Rotenberg has a track record of doing this kind of stupid thing. That seems less of a red flag about Michkov and more so about Rotenberg.

So ultimately your argument hinges on a scratch in Sochi. If you want to claim that it is unprecedented for a purported generational 19 year old to have ever been scratched once for a bad game in his D+1 season, then fine. But you should also be considering that it was a single game (Can he not afford to have one?), on a horrific team, after he was plagued with pneumonia, while otherwise having a generational season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Players doesn't have to be generational for Rotenberg to display his misuse and misevaluation of them. Rotenberg misused Michkov during his DY, just as he did with Demidov this season. It is pretty clear that Rotenberg has a track record of doing this kind of stupid thing. That seems less of a red flag about Michkov and more so about Rotenberg.

So ultimately your argument hinges on a scratch in Sochi. If you want to claim that it is unprecedented for a purported generational 19 year old to have ever been scratched once for a bad game in his D+1 season, then fine. But you should also be considering that it was a single game (Can he not afford to have one?), on a horrific team, after he was plagued with pneumonia, while otherwise having a generational season.
Your post is full with nothing but excuses. For a prospect once seen as a real alternative to Bedard certainly a lot went wrong for Michkov recently and there are lots of red flags compared to Bedard who can't seem to put a foot wrong. Like I said, it's possible that Michkov generational but let's not make that conclusion before he even played in the NHL.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Your post is full with nothing but excuses. For a prospect once seen as a real alternative to Bedard certainly a lot went wrong for Michkov recently and there are lots of red flags compared to Bedard who can't seem to put a foot wrong. Like I said, it's possible that Michkov generational but let's not make that conclusion before he even played in the NHL.
That you're unwilling to address those "excuses" and instead hinge your argument on a single scratch in an otherwise generational season makes it seem like you know you're argument is quite flimsy.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That you're unwilling to address those "excuses" and instead hinge your argument on a single scratch in an otherwise generational season makes it seem like you know you're argument is quite flimsy.
So you're just gonna ignore the fact that in St.Petersburg, Michkov was perma scratched and eventually shipped out?

• Haha

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Not gonna go through 5266 posts to find something that doesn't exist. Unless you were part of the interview, you haven't got a clue what was said. HuGo are tight lipped about what is said in private.
I wasnt. Michkov was. Its his words, not mine. I believe him more.

You dont need to go through 5266 posts, post was on this page.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
So you're just gonna ignore the fact that in St.Petersburg, Michkov was perma scratched and eventually shipped out?

No, I'm going to correctly recognize that doing so (Scratching/loaning/burying young, talented forwards) is the modus operandi for Roman Rotenberg. Michkov isn't the one at fault for Rotenberg's cluelessness

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
No, I'm going to correctly recognize that doing so (Scratching/loaning/burying young, talented forwards) is the modus operandi for Roman Rotenberg. Michkov isn't the one at fault for Rotenberg's cluelessness
That's not quite true.

Marat Khusnutdinov became a regular for St.Petersburg when Rotenberg took over from Bragin.

Also, look at the goalies Rotenberg used this season.

santapore

Oct 11, 2010
wow this hinterland troll is something else. perma scratched:D new term for loaning players:D
ps. you said something about bedard never has been scratched for bad games...have you watched world championship games ? his gaming time has gone from 16+ -> under 10min for playing like shit.sometimes generational players have bad games too.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Of the games I watched (or wanted to watch) yes. Since I don't usually watch a lot of KHL there were probably more. And he was perma scratched by Rotenberg. Makes for a lot of healthy scratches by two different coaches this season alone. Has that ever happened to a generational player? Probably not.

This is the point where your credibility, such as it was, went right out the window. You did no research (game logs are available, if you're willing to put in the effort to look), you decided that you could extrapolate from a single data point (you cannot), you were wrong (blatantly so), people called you out on it (correctly), and you continued to claim you were right despite all evidence to the contrary (you're not.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad