RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Why not also the other 4 teams who passed on him? Why always just Montreal.
Carlsson, Fantilli and Michkov were all similar caliber prospects so that rules out Anaheim and Columbus. He didn't want to play for San Jose (and Will Smith is pretty close) or Arizona, so that leaves Montreal.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Its ok for Columbus and Ducks to draft their future big first line center. Even if Michkov will play on Kucherov level. Other teams? It is fun for them now.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Will they be future 1C’s? I don’t think that’s a sure thing.
I think they will, they have enough as skilled players and as smart players. I would prefer to draft Michkov but again for a team like Columbus especially it was very important to draft their first line center, they had nothing. It is still a problem for them now when they have some chance to draft another very talented player Demidov but still have huge need in second center. I think in this case its more important to draft Demidov over Catton or Helenius or Lindstrom if Demidov will be available.

We can see how Kaprisov cant make a huge step forward with his team because they dont have real top line center.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A lot of bullsh1t plus Russian.

The Russian part was the bullshit part. His three year contract shouldn't have mattered, it's not like Smith, Reinbacher, and Simashev are going to become impact players before 2027.

What isn't bullshit is the size issue, especially since Michkov has been dinged up a lot already. That and his defensive play is bad enough along with the slowness in transition, that he'll need extra help at 5v5. Not a plug and play solution in all situations with any linemates. It's just the PP where you can be sure Michkov will dominate, and that should be a huge help to the Flyers.

If I'm Danny Briere I'm taking away Torts' control over the PP and I'm stipulating that Michkov is on there a full two minutes every PP. Torts is known for using PP time as a reward for 5v5 play and completely f***ing with his units, that's probably how he ends up with the worst PPs in the league so often.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I think they will, they have enough as skilled players and as smart players. I would prefer to draft Michkov but again for a team like Columbus especially it was very important to draft their first line center, they had nothing. It is still a problem for them now when they have some chance to draft another very talented player Demidov but still have huge need in second center. I think in this case its more important to draft Demidov over Catton or Helenius or Lindstrom if Demidov will be available.

We can see how Kaprisov cant make a huge step forward with his team because they dont have real top line center.

As a general rule, teams always draft the best player available.

Reactions: Devonator

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
As a general rule, teams always draft the best player available.
They don't. They should in theory but even this is questionable and doesn't work well situationally.

The Russian part was the bullshit part. His three year contract shouldn't have mattered, it's not like Smith, Reinbacher, and Simashev are going to become impact players before 2027.

What isn't bullshit is the size issue, especially since Michkov has been dinged up a lot already. That and his defensive play is bad enough along with the slowness in transition, that he'll need extra help at 5v5. Not a plug and play solution in all situations with any linemates. It's just the PP where you can be sure Michkov will dominate, and that should be a huge help to the Flyers.

If I'm Danny Briere I'm taking away Torts' control over the PP and I'm stipulating that Michkov is on there a full two minutes every PP. Torts is known for using PP time as a reward for 5v5 play and completely f***ing with his units, that's probably how he ends up with the worst PPs in the league so often.

Meh. He is quite well processing 5 on 5 game. Especially for his level of competition and age.

When you are saying "Michkov is only good gor PP" is very loud statement.
Will see how he good or bad his impact 5 on 5 after one or two years in NHL.

Russian thing isn't bullsh1t at all. Because he is making crazy things for his age in khl. But again needs some copium with "not the same league", "weak team" etc.
At least we don't need to wait two more years in khl an one more year of adaptation. He will show himself with all of his strong and weak side next year and will show development (or will not show development) after next season.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Will they be future 1C’s? I don’t think that’s a sure thing.
Surely they look like that man. You could say the same about Michkov... Will he be a top line player?

He will be more than that, so should be Fantilli and Carlsson

God willingly Michkov will re-express his desire to try out center again. I’m sure the Flyers will happily try that experiment.
IMO his game is more suited to W, let all his offensive potential shine. Draft a C in the upcoming years or get him some way

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Surely they look like that man. You could say the same about Michkov... Will he be a top line player?

He will be more than that, so should be Fantilli and Carlsson
I think they will be decent players, but not every top 10 pick ends up an elite player. I didn’t really see that in either of those two prior to the draft and their first years were okay, at best. Look how much Bedard outplayed them. Michkov has to prove himself like anyone else, but I don’t really have those questions about him.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
IMO his game is more suited to W, let all his offensive potential shine. Draft a C in the upcoming years or get him some way

Easier said than done. I'd love it if the Flyers can acquire a natural center who is that talented, but if Michkov is interested then he might be our clearest path to a 1C.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I think they will be decent players, but not every top 10 pick ends up an elite player. I didn’t really see that in either of those two prior to the draft and their first years were okay, at best. Look how much Bedard outplayed them. Michkov has to prove himself like anyone else, but I don’t really have those questions about him.
IMO they showed enough flashes to believe they will be all star players. They both play in bad teams (and Fantilli's in particular in a very disfunctional team). I would have drafted myself Michkov at #2 but they are going to be very good players IMO

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It wasn't his best season but Kaprizov still got outstanding results 5v5. (Oddly enough identical GF and GA to Panarin). That top line with Eriksson Ek and Boldy was great. Kaprizov is doing what he has to do, and Eriksson Ek is actually a great center complement for him. The Wild fell apart elsewhere in the lineup.

God willingly Michkov will re-express his desire to try out center again. I’m sure the Flyers will happily try that experiment.

What centers do varies from team to team but there are two very important things centers absolutely must do in any system - defend down low and be able to skate the puck out from deep in the zone. Michkov is not a candidate for either of those things. He can be good in transition but only if his linemates are coming up with speed to push defenders back, it's better for him to start transition from high up like a winger so he doesn't have to try and outskate 5 opponents.

Funny enough Demidov has the strength down low and transition ability to play center. I think he'd be fine at it. Though I'm not sure it would be a good trade-off if it takes away from his creativity on the attack.

We really overessentialize center on HF. You don't always want the best players to be at center, even if they can do it. And you can have a great line without a great center. The best line in the NHL a few years ago was Panarin - Strome - Fast.

When you are saying "Michkov is only good gor PP" is very loud statement.
Will see how he good or bad his impact 5 on 5 after one or two years in NHL.

That's your phrasing not mine. I think we can be less sure in knowing how he'll do at 5v5. I'm going to watch him and find out over the years just like everyone else.

I think it might depend a lot on the linemate situation. He might be great at 5v5 but I doubt it if you're asking him to carry every puck 200 ft.

How good do you think Michkov would have been last year in the NHL?

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
So many similarities to Kucherov. A lot of this prognosticating could be done if you switch Michkov for Kucherov, and yet Kucherov has proved all possible doubts wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
It wasn't his best season but Kaprizov still got outstanding results 5v5. (Oddly enough identical GF and GA to Panarin). That top line with Eriksson Ek and Boldy was great. Kaprizov is doing what he has to do, and Eriksson Ek is actually a great center complement for him. The Wild fell apart elsewhere in the lineup.

What centers do varies from team to team but there are two very important things centers absolutely must do in any system - defend down low and be able to skate the puck out from deep in the zone. Michkov is not a candidate for either of those things. He can be good in transition but only if his linemates are coming up with speed to push defenders back, it's better for him to start transition from high up like a winger so he doesn't have to try and outskate 5 opponents.

Funny enough Demidov has the strength down low and transition ability to play center. I think he'd be fine at it. Though I'm not sure it would be a good trade-off if it takes away from his creativity on the attack.

We really overessentialize center on HF. You don't always want the best players to be at center, even if they can do it. And you can have a great line without a great center. The best line in the NHL a few years ago was Panarin - Strome - Fast.

That's your phrasing not mine. I think we can be less sure in knowing how he'll do at 5v5. I'm going to watch him and find out over the years just like everyone else.

I think it might depend a lot on the linemate situation. He might be great at 5v5 but I doubt it if you're asking him to carry every puck 200 ft.

How good do you think Michkov would have been last year in the NHL?
Yeah, because wild should have Ek as their second line center or find other top line level center who can carry the line.

Yeah, its your words about only pp impact of Michkov. I don't need to defend it for the next years. And he doesn't need to be great 200 foot player. He does need to do his things.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, because wild should have Ek as their second line center or find other top line level center who can carry the line.

Kaprizov is the guy who carries the line. The center doesn't have to carry the line. And they got great results so I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

And he doesn't need to be great 200 foot player. He does need to do his things.

I agree - and if Michkov had an Eriksson Ek to play with I'd have more confidence in his situation!

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Kaprizov is the guy who carries the line. The center doesn't have to carry the line. And they got great results so I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

I agree - and if Michkov had an Eriksson Ek to play with I'd have more confidence in his situation!
They need top line level center to carry one more line. Or play with Kaprizov when they need to maximize the outcome.

So its on the flyers management. Its not that easy to find "Ek" for Michkov but its much harder to find Michkov for "Ek". Flyers should prey for Helenius staying available for their pick.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They need top line level center to carry one more line. Or play with Kaprizov when they need to maximize the outcome.

They need more than one great line, that part I'll agree with.

So its on the flyers management. Its not that easy to find "Ek" for Michkov but its much harder to find Michkov for "Ek". Flyers should prey for Helenius staying available for their pick.

Helenius would be great at center things but also just keeping plays going for Michkov and passing well.

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
What if he told Montreal he wouldn't play with them?
Everybody would know
Because mtl said a lot of unkind words about him. Their bloggers said even more. But there are no words about "he will regret to not want to play with us". It was only about his mythical attitudes, mythical problems with ego etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad