RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 5

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Lmao that’s great coming from you 😂. I’ve got nothing to cope for. My team didn’t take Michkov, and I didn’t want them to take him before the draft. Can’t speak for all Habs fans, but that’s the reality for me. The fanboys really took offense to that for some reason. Whether that’s right or wrong remains to be seen, but he’s looking like pretty much exactly what I expected, and why I didn’t want him, i.e., a good offensive winger with some serious flaws and deficiencies in his game. Keep revelling in those powerplay points though.

Sorry for your loss

• Haha
Reactions: SaSaShi

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Honest question: if you are Briere would you trade Demidov + Reinbacher for Michkov? I would say no.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
As one of the best young players in recent years - its very interesting how Michkov will develop through this current season. Its not the rocket science he has potential to be 100-120 points player. But whats about this specific season. Will he hit the wall or will he start to figure it out right through this season and will produce even more. Of course if he will stay healthy.

This year Michkov will become even more dangerous as he continues to adapt and learn. But I also expect him to physically hit a wall at some point, though he probably will work his way out of it. The NHL grind can be daunting for young rookies. Bedard hit the wall at the end of last year.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Honest question: if you are Briere would you trade Demidov + Reinbacher for Michkov? I would say no.

Hell no, Demidov is nowhere near Michkov, and Reinbacher's D+1 was horrific and now the injury, I hope he recovers but his value tanked even more. Michkov is infinitely more valuable.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Couturier could become a nice C stopgap for Michkov. He is excellent on the draw and can cover defensively to let Michkov be more aggressive. Half the battle is just getting 39 the puck more often and Couts can help with that with his faceoff prowess

Just need to find a winger. Maybe in time one of Konecny, Tippett (doubt it) can be that guy.

Reactions: antman12

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Has an NHL team ever traded their best player on the team, in the NHL for two prospects?
It was meant as a jab towards the handful of bitter Habs fan who pollute this thread. And to illustrate how good Michkov is relative to other recent high draft picks. Purely a hypothetical

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
This post was in the last thread comparing guys who were considered generational. It seemed a bit unfair to me. I know, the poster was trying to use same aged years, but Michkov regardless of his age is still a rookie.

Here are those guys first 7 games in the NHL for those above guys.

McDavid: 6 points in 7 gp
Crosby: 9 points in 7 gp
Ovechkin: 8 points in 7 gp
Lindros: 7 points in 7 gp
Lemieux: 6 points in 7 gp
Gretzky: 10 points in 7 gp

As I type this, he scores a goal against Minnesota.
It is unfair, because Michkov isn’t generational. Btw, that was Lindros’ rookie season, Ovechkin’s too (he won the Calder, ffs).

And your rational is stupid because Michkov has been a professional for years. Even if he came over right after his draft season, it’s not like he’d have been coming out of junior. It’s completely fair to compare them by age.

Also, by your own logic, Wayne’s season that I mentioned is as much of a rookie season as Michkov’s this year.

If Michkov hits 100+ points this year, we could start the conversation about whether he’s generational. Even then, it wouldn’t be a sure thing (anyone remember Jimmy Carson?).

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Oh so now since he's over PPG it's about ES points. When will you guys give up on the sunk cost and just pack it in?

First it was "character issues"

Then it was his size and skating.

Then it was "The KHL is a weakened league"

Then it was "It's only NHL preseason"

Then it was "It's only powerplay points"

Eventually it's going to be "Yeah, we let's see him win a Cup if he's so special"

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Could you image the future top 6 Montreal could've had with Michkov? He wouldve elevated that group into the stratosphere.

Michkov
Demidov
Slafkovsky
Caufield
Suzuki
Hage/Dach/Newhook

lol @ Montreal

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Oh what was it, his 2nd ES point on the season? He’ll get some of those; where did I say he wouldn’t?
You clearly feel some sort of way about him, and that's okay. I'll keep enjoying his success (and same for Demidov, who I am a big fan of).
These Michkov fanboys are delusional, calling him generational and all kinds of other nonsense. He got over half his points in his draft year in 2 games against Kunlon Red Star, who had a token Chinese goalie in net with a .650 save% on the season.

Michkov has more question marks than anyone. He’s also small, slow, soft, lazy, and plays zero defense.

Reactions: deejb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad