RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
“Some really good players in our league are really demanding,” Jones said. “He’s not at their level right now so I don’t even want to give you the names. But when you watch them play, they have an inner drive that’s going to push (teammates) to be better. They want to be part of something great, and they want to be great themselves. He’s got some of those qualities. And it’s not just me that’s seen it.”

-These must have been the character concerns MTL brass had.

“I’m not interested in turning him into a checker,” Tortorella said. “Are we going to beat him over the head with (defense)? No. We are starving for the type of plays that he can make, instinctive plays that he can make. We’re certainly going to teach him along the way, especially situational play. There’s certain times in the game that you’ve just got to be simple. … But I want to let him go. We’re not going to try to stifle him in any way, as far as his creativity.”

-Oh and here's Torts who is apparently going to hate him and suck all the offense out of him.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
-Oh and here's Torts who is apparently going to hate him and suck all the offense out of him.
Torts isn't stupid but what's his true understanding of "letting him go" as opposed to "situational play" also remains to be seen. Because he did say many similar things about Gaborik, who was one of the better goalscorers in the league and probably the only real high-octane offensive player Rangers had at the time yet "playing the right way" ruined that relationship pretty quick. Not even going to go into RyJo story.

You could say Gaborik, being a star and a former captain himself, simply had a big ego and RyJo was greedy slacker and whatnot but whatever Torts says on these matters has to be taken with a grain of salt.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Torts isn't stupid but what's his true understanding of "letting him go" as opposed to "situational play" also remains to be seen. Because he did say many similar things about Gaborik, who was one of the better goalscorers in the league and probably the only real high-octane offensive player Rangers had at the time yet "playing the right way" ruined that relationship pretty quick. Not even going to go into RyJo story.

You could say Gaborik, being a star and a former captain himself, simply had a big ego and RyJo was greedy slacker and whatnot but whatever Torts says on these matters has to be taken with a grain of salt.
The same thing he has done with Tippett and Konecny despite their erratic play sometimes.

The only thing that will make him hate a player is one who doesn't give effort or give a crap in general like RyJo, Kevin Hayes, PLD etc. The only players he's ever clashed with were ones who didn't give a crap and care about winning as much as Torts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad