RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Type better, or get critiqued, your post lacked clarity and your point if that’s what you really meant. If depth players could do that purposely then they would be on most teams top lines and PP1, you’re grasping at straws.

There are plenty of things separating Michkov from a 4th liner, and the decision to shoot for a rebound in that very commonplace situation was not one of them. This isn't complicated.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Type better, or get critiqued, your post lacked clarity and your point if that’s what you really meant. If depth players could do that purposely then they would be on most teams top lines and PP1, you’re grasping at straws.
Are you pretending you’ve never heard the adage “just get it on net”? Thats what it means - shooting off a pad to create a rebound, shooting looking for a deflection/bounce/scramble, etc. It’s a common play taught since peewee.

Reactions: majormajor

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
There are plenty of things separating Michkov from a 4th liner, and the decision to shoot for a rebound in that very commonplace situation was not one of them. This isn't complicated.

Most players don't have the IQ to make that specific play work the way it did, you're looking more and more silly. Here's an example, you think the same thing happens when a guy like McDavid rolls into the slot with someone draped on his back vice a common 4th liner? Yeah, no. Michkov when you break down his game down makes really unreal intelligent plays on the fly, thats what makes him great. Really no reason to argue about it further, you're entitled to think as you wish. lol

Last edited:

deejb

Nov 12, 2016
At the risk of being unpopular, I've finally done a Michkov video. I'm sure there's a zillion out there about his hands and his shooting, so I took a look at his mental game - mainly his playmaking process. I was not completely sold on his playmaking ability in his DY...not that I thought it was bad, I just thought it fell way short of elite. So, I peaked back at his D+1 season and up to this NHL preseason to see what I could identify both good and bad. I also took note of a specific physical aspect of his game that could lend itself to being a real difference maker.

As usual, this is not a highlight video, nor does it necessarily constitute "hype train"...

I usually love this type of video, but this one... I mean, is this some kind of trolling? Why would anyone choose to evaluate Michkov's hockey sense by his play for Kapitan Stupino? It was a part-time gig in MHL, mostly pointless, after a great season against adults. Temporary in every means, he didn't even wear his usual number 39. New coach, unfamiliar partners two levels below. Nevertheless, he single-handedly led them to the PO, but there was no chance after that. Yes, he played absolutely the "wrong" kind of hockey there. If you send Kucherov to ECHL now, you could probably also make a clip about the selfish Russian winger.
Regarding pre-season games. I didn't see anything in this clip that would indicate a lack of hockey sense (and you left a bunch of great passes off-screen).

Dr Jablonski PhD

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
There are quite a few people in here saying the same thing. I don't quite recall this happening for another prospect of this perceived caliber. Some are doing a better job of identifying what he does well and what he doesn't... like... the passing and vision is undoubtedly his best quality

But .. the smoke and fire connection is made for a reason. Maybe we shouldn't expect this kid to be Kucherov

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There are quite a few people in here saying the same thing. I don't quite recall this happening for another prospect of this caliber. Some are doing a better job of identifying what he does well and what he doesn't... like... the passing and vision is undoubtedly his best quality

But .. the smoke and fire connection is made for a reason. Maybe we shouldn't expect this kid to be Kucherov
Michkov is a lot like Kooch and all the guys who have unbelievable hockey sense. He sees the ice two steps ahead of the other players. He will need better talent around him though, that’s for sure. Flyers guys need to keep their sticks on the ice and go to the net when Michkov gets the puck. He’s going to find them, especially when no one else thinks he could.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Maybe we shouldn't expect this kid to be Kucherov
Did you expect 19-yo Kucherov to be The Kucherov?
If you watch closely at 4:50, you can tell he's a locker room cancer and that all of his teammates hate him.
His teammates almost beat him up because the shot he had scored dat OT winner on was so soft :thumbd:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad