RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
At the risk of being unpopular, I've finally done a Michkov video. I'm sure there's a zillion out there about his hands and his shooting, so I took a look at his mental game - mainly his playmaking process. I was not completely sold on his playmaking ability in his DY...not that I thought it was bad, I just thought it fell way short of elite. So, I peaked back at his D+1 season and up to this NHL preseason to see what I could identify both good and bad. I also took note of a specific physical aspect of his game that could lend itself to being a real difference maker.

As usual, this is not a highlight video, nor does it necessarily constitute "hype train"...

Explain your definition of IQ please. I asked on another thread and I can't fathom your take. I have not seen a prospect anticipate the flow of the game like Michkov does nor react to openings and create opportunities. Better question if you don't feel like providing your definition, what prospect do you think does have an elite IQ?

Reactions: carouselofgoalies

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Defensively he's way behind but as a winger that's not a huge deal. Getting cheap/empty net points doesn't impress me. Some guys get 0 pts but were much more dangerous offensively. I just think he needs time to adjust more. Doesn't help that Flyers don't have that high gravity center.

I’m not even going to respond intelligently, you clearly don’t watch. “Cheap/empty net points” lmao

Explain your definition of IQ please. I asked on another thread and I can't fathom your take. I have not seen a prospect anticipate the flow of the game like Michkov does nor react to openings and create opportunities. Better question if you don't feel like providing your definition, what prospect do you think does have an elite IQ?
I watched this video for 2 mins on the train earlier and couldn’t tolerate it anymore, this guys valuation of what he’s seeing is brutal.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Two first pair dmen? They have the Robin in York/Sanheim. They just need the Batman.

You also need a true 1C like you said. However, considering that Michkov is here, that 1 C doesnt have to be a top of the line 1C , a young couturier like center producing 75-80 points a year should be enough. Toews-Kane is a good example.

Some say that could be Luchanko, but he most likely turns into a Rod Brindamour, 2 way player , good secondary scoring but with some offensive flaws. So still need a 1C

Then you have all the cornerstones: 1C, 1 D, goalie in Zavragin and hopefully your top 10 player in Michkov. The next 2 drafts, and especially this next draft could define Briere's tenure and the long term future of the flyers.
There are mtl in the East, they have Slaf, Suzuki, Hage, Caufield and Demidov. Devils have Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Meier. Jackets have Fantilli, Brindley, Lindstrom, Johnson. Ottawa have Stuzle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Greig, Norris, Buffalo have tonns of great young players. Thompson, Cozens, Helenius, Kulich, Benson, Peterka, Quinn.I believe I forget about someone.
Etc
If flyers want to compete on the East they should find true number one center. York and Sanheim are not on the level with their two way potential or dynamism with Dahlin, Power, Hughes, Nemec, Mateychuk, Hutson, Sanderson.
We can’t pencil Luchanko as two way 75-80 points player now. Even iff he will become this type of player, than flyers need to find really good another second line center who could easily play first line role. Because, like I said, many young eastern teams have this one/two punch option.
Or they can build team around Michkov and supporting defensive oriented cast, but let’s not wait big results because it’s not enough now.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Man I just KNOW people were waiting to put in their overrated hot takes for the first game he didn’t have a point…but unfortunately he got a point so they had to put in some anyways.

This never stops does it? This just keeps on going and going his whole career. This turns into the Ovechkin vs. Crosby debate again and we have thread after thread on HFboards for a decade.

HFboards Thread Titles in 2027:

Is Michkov Overrated?
Is Michkov going back to Russia?
Why is Michkov bad defensively?
Is Michkov the GOAT?
Why is Michkov?
What is Michkov?
Michkov?

• Haha
Reactions: Chuck Downie

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
There are mtl in the East, they have Slaf, Suzuki, Hage, Caufield and Demidov. Devils have Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Meier. Jackets have Fantilli, Brindley, Lindstrom, Johnson. Ottawa have Stuzle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Greig, Norris, Buffalo have tonns of great young players. Thompson, Cozens, Helenius, Kulich, Benson, Peterka, Quinn.I believe I forget about someone.
Etc
If flyers want to compete on the East they should find true number one center. York and Sanheim are not on the level with their two way potential or dynamism with Dahlin, Power, Hughes, Nemec, Mateychuk, Hutson, Sanderson.
We can’t pencil Luchanko as two way 75-80 points player now. Even iff he will become this type of player, than flyers need to find really good another second line center who could easily play first line role. Because, like I said, many young eastern teams have this one/two punch option.
Or they can build team around Michkov and supporting defensive oriented cast, but let’s not wait big results because it’s not enough now.
Luchanko turning out to be a 75-80 pt player is best case scenario, and im not banking on that at all. Could it happen? Sure, but not counting on it.

An addition of a young couturier player (mid level 1C in his prime) plus a top 10 defenseman along with Michkov and Zavragin, should be enough of a foundation to compete for cups. Foerster and Farabee and/or Frost becoming 3rd line players would mean a very deep team with potential superstars in Michkov, Zavragin and the stud 1D.

They are touting Zavragin as the next Shesterkin/Sorokin, so if he reaches that, philly should be quite strong. But u never know with prospects, especially goalies.

Or we can just get lucky and win top 4 overall pick and get a choice of Hagens, Misa, Ryabkin or Mcqueen. That's why Im kinda hoping Couturier is a 30-40 pt player this year and Ersson/Fedotov implodes. 😂

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad