RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I still can’t believe he was drafted 7th overall.

What on earth was Montreal thinking when they picked Reinbacher over Michkov?
Dumb decisions makes draft so much fun. Historical bad decisions makes wonders with draft. People care. Because you never know who and how will draft. It is so interesting to remember this situations. And think about how this or that team could change their Historical direction. This is why there are so many people on this board.

Reactions: hn777

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Pretty quiet game for him through 2 periods.

First period he hardly even touched the puck. Second period was a little better. To be expected since Boston has pretty much their full squad and he’s up against Bostons first line.
That’s because besides Michkov the Flyers offense is as impotent as it can be. 5 Shots through half the game. The D’s can’t make a first pass even if their life depends on it. Possession was nonexistent, lots of bad passes/turnovers and even the PP looked bad. I was really shocked how weak the Flyers looked against a real NHL team. Michkov had almost no opportunities to shine at all.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

enthuuusiast

Grossly Incandescent
May 14, 2023
Philadelphia
That’s because besides Michkov the Flyers offense is as impotent as it can be. 5 Shots through half the game. The D’s can’t make a first pass even if their life depends on it. Possession was nonexistent, lots of bad passes/turnovers and even the PP looked bad. I was really shocked how weak the Flyers looked against a real NHL team. Michkov had almost no opportunities to shine at all.
And this, ladies and gentleman, are your 24-25 Philadelphia Flyers. Michkov and sometimes Frost are the only two players who can successfully make a clean pass. It's brutal but at least we have him now!

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I really hope flyers will tank thus season. The only thing tat block Michkov from the great future is huge lack of good partners. Flyers are in the beginning of rebuild but they are trying to compete.
Some people used Wild example and I woukd agree, but wild at least made many huge draft decisions and trade Faber. Flyers didn't. But they drafted Zavragin so they have two pieces, may be Luchanko will be good second line center, may be Bonk will be good second pair guy, but they really need future top line center and a couple of future first pair defensemen, at least one.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
nice assist yeaterday but otherwise pretty brutal game for michkov.

How was he brutal?
(Other than his assist) he didn’t create much, but he wasn't a liability defensively. No turnovers, 1 take-away. Was a -1 but only because of bad turnovers by Drysdale and Luchanko right into empty nets.

If he plays this “brutally” every game he’s still a point/game rookie.

• Love

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
nice assist yeaterday but otherwise pretty brutal game for michkov.
Yeah he didn’t have a brutal game, he set up a goal with a primary assist, had another nice between the legs deke right around a defender with ease that ended up in a high danger chance, looked good when he touched the puck. The flyers as a team were brutal he didn’t have many chances to create.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
How was he brutal?
(Other than his assist) he didn’t create much, but he wasn't a liability defensively. No turnovers, 1 take-away. Was a -1 but only because of bad turnovers by Drysdale and Luchanko right into empty nets.

If he plays this “brutally” every game he’s still a point/game rookie.
I would say he was a liability defensively, had his own share of turnovers, looked timid and very slow.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
I really hope flyers will tank thus season. The only thing tat block Michkov from the great future is huge lack of good partners. Flyers are in the beginning of rebuild but they are trying to compete.
Some people used Wild example and I woukd agree, but wild at least made many huge draft decisions and trade Faber. Flyers didn't. But they drafted Zavragin so they have two pieces, may be Luchanko will be good second line center, may be Bonk will be good second pair guy, but they really need future top line center and a couple of future first pair defensemen, at least one.
Two first pair dmen? They have the Robin in York/Sanheim. They just need the Batman.

You also need a true 1C like you said. However, considering that Michkov is here, that 1 C doesnt have to be a top of the line 1C , a young couturier like center producing 75-80 points a year should be enough. Toews-Kane is a good example.

Some say that could be Luchanko, but he most likely turns into a Rod Brindamour, 2 way player , good secondary scoring but with some offensive flaws. So still need a 1C

Then you have all the cornerstones: 1C, 1 D, goalie in Zavragin and hopefully your top 10 player in Michkov. The next 2 drafts, and especially this next draft could define Briere's tenure and the long term future of the flyers.

Last edited:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Their whole game is basically getting caved, blocking shots, relying on their goalie, and scoring in transition once they create a turnover. They are not a competent possession team at all. Ersson's numbers by the end of the year were rough, but through the whole middle stretch of last season he was doing what he did last night--keeping a team in the game while it flailed around in its own zone for minutes on end.

I expect Michkov and Frost to establish and hold some zone time, but they'll need a winger who can actually function in that setting. Tippett is a bad fit there (he's basically a railway gun, skate straight and shoot) and Konecny is hit or miss. Someone like Farabee is probably better, but fat chance that Torts would let three fancy little skill boys be on a line together. Foerster, perhaps. They'll also need to end up out there with at least one of their 3 defensemen who don't treat the puck like a grenade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad